What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the way.
I do this for most streaming services if I have a choice, examples with some of the watched shows in ( ):
H&R= Hit and run, 1 month subscription...
  • Netflix- keep, there is just too much there.
  • Amazon Prime- keep, get as part of my ongoing prime membership
  • SlingTV- keep, because of channels offered.
  • Disney + Wife make me. (Otherwise H&R for specific Marvel content).
  • Britbox- Wife makes me. (Gardener’s World)
  • HBO Now- Hit and Run. (Game of Thrones)
  • Showtime- H&R. (Homeland, Dexter)
  • Starz- H&R (anticipate for Outlander after I finish Season 4 on Netflix)
  • Apple+ H&R (For All Mankind)
  • CBS All access- H&R (Star Trek)
  • Hulu- H&R (Hand Maiden’s Tale)

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I hang onto Netflix, Prime, HBO MAX, Apple TV, the last because it's still free to me but I'll probably shell out for it as there seem to be enough shows I like to make it worthwhile. That's all plenty for me because there's so much stuff there I've never seen and some I do want to make time to watch.

Right now I've embarked on watching Shtisel on Netflix and finding I really like it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started the brand new Netflix series Shadow and Bone yesterday. Will watch another episode or two this evening. It reminds me a little of GOT in that it has an alternate geography and ethnic system, but still very much the same problems faced everywhere today (without the magic).

lizkat

Reaction score
I'm watching Shtisel on Netflix, liking it a lot, trying not to binge-watch (or for that matter binge-eat since they keep having scenes with someone either making, eating or serving stuff like Israeli chopped-veggie salads w/ pitas etc and I'm like wait up I got some of that in the fridge...).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started the brand new Netflix series Shadow and Bone yesterday. Will watch another episode or two this evening. It reminds me a little of GOT in that it has an alternate geography and ethnic system, but still very much the same problems faced everywhere today (without the magic).
This is on our list to watch.

lizkat

Reaction score
Pondering the next newish TV series to pop in on... meanwhile went back to The Americans, which I'd temporarily abandoned somewhere around the fourth season. I still have faint hopes that the weather will finally shift out of this blasted pattern of Really Cold Spring (snow in the forecast yet again this coming Friday, gee) and so I'm reluctant to get too attached to any new series when I know I'll ditch it for the great outdoors as soon as it's not 48º and raining (or worse). Meanwhile a few episodes of The Americans are once again holding my attention in the evenings.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pondering the next newish TV series to pop in on... meanwhile went back to The Americans, which I'd temporarily abandoned somewhere around the fourth season. I still have faint hopes that the weather will finally shift out of this blasted pattern of Really Cold Spring (snow in the forecast yet again this coming Friday, gee) and so I'm reluctant to get too attached to any new series when I know I'll ditch it for the great outdoors as soon as it's not 48º and raining (or worse). Meanwhile a few episodes of The Americans are once again holding my attention in the evenings.
A most excellent show. It really stuck the landing, IMO.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Found another gold. Upstart Crow available on Prime. It is, of course, about Shakespeare and it is hilarious. Four seasons so far and I'm almost done with the second. Brilliantly done with lots of reference to what it might be like in the future.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just started Shadow and Bone (Netflix), 2 episodes in, it’s looking good with a vibe and atmosphere I like.
3E23061B-5284-40B8-97EA-9B1D0BF584D7.jpeg
Loved that a show, but cursed every season they got away. ;)

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Even though the characters are weak, Debris continues to pull me back in week after week because it's just so damn weird.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Even though the characters are weak, Debris continues to pull me back in week after week because it's just so damn weird.
Last week's arc (2-parter) was wonderful. I don't normally like 2-part episodes, but this was great, even if my husband felt it went on too long and hated the resolution.

Every week is something completely new.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Away (2020 Netflix Series)- Space mission to Mars. I’m in 3 episodes and enjoying this. The series has relatively low critic and audience ratings at Rotten Tomatoes and was cancelled after 1 season, so I can’t vouch for it yet. There are some interesting dynamics between the International crew.

A6CB2926-B4A3-4CD0-AF4E-28B480F769EE.jpeg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I happened on a marathon of the new Superman and Lois this weekend. Frankly, I expected not to like it. The CW's slate of shows featuring the world being run by nobody over 25 has never interested me that much.

So I was surprised to see that this is a little different. Yes, it's still a Greg Berlanti show, with all that that implies. Yes, it's about Clark and Lois' sons as much as them. But it has a lot more human moments between the characters, including the parents. I'm not used to seeing Clark in the role of part time superhero, part time befuddled dad, much less with a tiny bit of Clark Griswold in him.

Last week's arc (2-parter) was wonderful. I don't normally like 2-part episodes, but this was great, even if my husband felt it went on too long and hated the resolution.

Every week is something completely new.

Doesn't look good for renewal, though. I think there's two more episodes, and then that's probably it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I happened on a marathon of the new Superman and Lois this weekend. Frankly, I expected not to like it. The CW's slate of shows featuring the world being run by nobody over 25 has never interested me that much.

So I was surprised to see that this is a little different. Yes, it's still a Greg Berlanti show, with all that that implies. Yes, it's about Clark and Lois' sons as much as them. But it has a lot more human moments between the characters, including the parents. I'm not used to seeing Clark in the role of part time superhero, part time befuddled dad, much less with a tiny bit of Clark Griswold in him.

Doesn't look good for renewal, though. I think there's two more episodes, and then that's probably it.
I agree, I binged the 5 episodes in a few days and it exceeded expectations. I‘d bet they renew it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I sense a disturbing new trend here.

Evil’s first season did phenomenally well when Netflix acquired it—a fact which obviously didn’t escape CBS.

So the new trend? Get you hooked on a network show for one season…then transfer that show to a paid streaming service. 🤨

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I sense a disturbing new trend here.

Evil’s first season did phenomenally well when Netflix acquired it—a fact which obviously didn’t escape CBS.

So the new trend? Get you hooked on a network show for one season…then transfer that show to a paid streaming service. 🤨
It bugged me when they decided to put all Star Trek content on “CBS All Access” instead of the local over-the-air TV station.

U

User.45

Earth at Night in Color is pretty sweet too.
The Chicago episode mesmerized my daughter so much, we had to watch it like 5x already. They shot a lot of it in the area where we used to live so it's absolutely an eye candy to me too. Altough those high-rises slaughtering birds is really sad. I used to see lots of dead birds on morning runs in that very area.

Top Bottom
1 2