What’s On Your Mind?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m having lunch at a restaurant sitting at the bar. A couple with a kid like 15 years old just sat at the bar. They told the bartender they’re all gluten free and the father ordered a water with no ice. They seem really fun and cool.
I know those guys.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is apparently amazing, and one of the "next big things" on Broadway (it's been off to date):

1648929819593.png

The musical is about Usher, coincidentally named the same as his day-job as an usher for The Lion King on Broadway, a fat, Black, gay writer who tries to navigate the heteronormative white world. He is backed by a six-person all-black-queer ensemble who voice his inner thoughts as he begrudgingly ghost writes a new Tyler Perry stage play.

It's in previews starting April 6th, and we __just__ scored tickets through an AMEX invite, 1/2 price, special reserved seats (center/corner mezzanine), pretty excited, this fills our 3rd night of shows this upcoming trip :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’m having lunch at a restaurant sitting at the bar. A couple with a kid like 15 years old just sat at the bar. They told the bartender they’re all gluten free and the father ordered a water with no ice. They seem really fun and cool.

Yeah, you know, I get that for whatever reason some people don't drink (whether it's in the specific circumstance or in general), and sure, maybe there are a few folks who have a legit gluten issue - but goddam, there are just some joyless people in the world, and you wonder why they even bother to do X/Y/Z.

We were in NYC around Christmas, we had a late lunch at this amazing cafe, everything is big, and greasy, and covered in gravy, and they had a ton of draft beer options (and a full bar), they make these killer open faced sandwiches, all sort of french fry variants, they service breakfast all day and have an out of this world Eggs Benedict. We get a little of everything, some delicious local drafts, we have savory, sweet, gravy, cheese, some grits, fried everything - and sure it's not very healthy, but this place is a moment to live.

Some family behind us gets salads without dressing, fruit cups and water. They sat there, eating in silence, with their overblown handbags and whatnot, sad, starring off into the ether. We had a __blast__, our servers enjoyed us (we even scored from freebies), they rolled their eyes at the sad table - I don't get it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
you wonder why they even bother to do X/Y/Z.

Well we generally have no particular insights into strangers' lives when our paths intersect in public.

Maybe somebody had just died and they were on their way to the funeral. Still gotta make a pit stop now and then, get a little something to eat... I mean stopping into a bar or a restaurant is not at all the same thing as accepting an invitation to a wild party while knowing one is not the wild party type.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well we generally have no particular insights into strangers' lives when our paths intersect in public.

Maybe somebody had just died and they were on their way to the funeral. Still gotta make a pit stop now and then, get a little something to eat... I mean stopping into a bar or a restaurant is not at all the same thing as accepting an invitation to a wild party while knowing one is not the wild party type.

True, I hate to assume ... but that wasn't the case, they were just hanging out in the city (and this would've been an odd place to go on the way to a funeral).

We actually wound up leaving about the same time they did (though they showed up like 20-25 minutes after we were seated), they walked around the corner, and the one younger girl wanted to go into the same store as our little G (it was an Asian/K-pop type place), the parents and other daughter stayed outside on their phones, we all went in as a family and took fun pics and bought some stuff :)

We've seen the same thing at theme parks, that are certainly a destination for fun. Some people are just joyless, even when they're doing something that supposed to be an exciting/fun/joyful/silly experience. *shrug*

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
SS, I am so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. From the way you've described her over the years she sounds as though she was indomitable, determined, feisty, and fun! I'll bet she was really interesting to sit with and have an afternoon's tea and chat..... She lived to a good age -- sadly, that amazing generation is leaving us and the world is all the poorer for it.

The private wake and a final day and night under her own roof sounds very much like something she would greatly appreciate.
I think that she would have loved it, - it is a wonderful idea - and I think, too, that her children will derive enormous joy, pleasure, - and comfort, from this.

And yes, you are absolutely right: She was really interesting to sit and chat with, (yes, over tea, although she drank coffee when she used to meet my father, while he lived, while she still worked, most weeks, she would take a few hours out, one set morning each week, and would have arranged to meet him for coffee and a chat) and was terrific company, with an acerbic wit, strong opinions, (on matters such as politics and religion and much else), and an excellent sense of humour (and well able to laugh at herself, which she enjoyed).

Her mind remained razor sharp until the end, while her memory was absolutely extraordinary. And her self-discipline - even when she retired - was simply fantastic - one of my cousins told me today (for we discussed music) that, in recent years, she had taken to practising - the musical equivalent of warming up - she had circulation problems - for half an hour daily, on her treasured piano, and then proceeding to actually play several of the pieces that she loved.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Getting my 2nd booster tomorrow too! :)

Excellent! I thought CDC clearance was still in process, but the wife got them scheduled at CVS without any issues. Just her and I, the little G had her 2 and her booster (and she's not in the recommended age group). We're headed up to NYC in a couple of weeks, so travel creates some additional exposure concern, figured it was extra important (we're flying while the mask mandate is still active).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of flying to NYC, holy shit, we scored a killer deal flying out of a local regional airport. JAX is about an hour plus 15-20 minutes of parking/walking - and we often fly out of MCO and combine that with a Universal stay-over that's around 2 hours and closer to 20-25 just to get into the airport.

This is 7 miles away and one flight coming and going :oops:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Set up for our 2nd booster tomorrow, and then some beach side eats :)
That’s on our agenda for this week as well. I figure we’ll just wander into CVS and ask for a booster.
Speaking of flying to NYC, holy shit, we scored a killer deal flying out of a local regional airport. JAX is about an hour plus 15-20 minutes of parking/walking - and we often fly out of MCO and combine that with a Universal stay-over that's around 2 hours and closer to 20-25 just to get into the airport.

This is 7 miles away and one flight coming and going :oops:
So which one did you fly out of, and what was the deal? Since my son still lives in NY, I could use a deal to go visit him!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That’s on our agenda for this week as well. I figure we’ll just wander into CVS and ask for a booster.

So which one did you fly out of, and what was the deal? Since my son still lives in NY, I could use a deal to go visit him!

Yeah, we probably didn't even need an appointment. That's where we're doing ours, at CVS!

It's Elite out of St. Augustine, which is officially Northeast Florida Regional Airport

It's right across the intracoastal, we could boat over and it's about 2 miles away :D

D

Deleted member 215

Pro-tip: If you don't know how to use "whom" properly, just don't use it. Using "who" where "whom" is technically correct is less of an error than using "whom" where "who" is appropriate.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pro-tip: If you don't know how to use "whom" properly, just don't use it. Using "who" where "whom" is technically correct is less of an error than using "whom" where "who" is appropriate.
Not making excuses, but few if any pros here, formal writing and speech is mostly dead. :)

9 times out of 10, you can actually get away with using who and whom interchangeably. Whom is not used frequently in modern conversational English, but it is used in formal writing and speech.

Top Bottom
1 2