What’s On Your Mind?

D

Deleted member 215

Frustrating situation at work re. pay.

Basically, I got paid twice last pay period because they sent me a physical check that had the incorrect amount, but I deposited it before I received the email saying "DON'T DEPOSIT", so they sent me an ACH with the correct amount, so I had twice the normal amount in my account. They told me they'd sent out a "stop payment" for the check before I deposited it, but it didn't seem to have gone through because the money was in my account and it was a few days after they attempted to stop the payment. So they told me I should write them a check in the amount of the erroneous check, which I did two days ago. The check cleared yesterday morning and the extra amount was gone from my account. I thought that was it. Then I get an email this morning from my bank saying the "stop payment" went through and the amount of the original incorrect paycheck was removed from my account. So now my employer owes me the amount of the check I sent them!!!!! :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

This email chain has been going on for a week now 😩

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

Basically, I got paid twice last pay period because they sent me a physical check that had the incorrect amount, but I deposited it before I received the email saying "DON'T DEPOSIT", so they sent me an ACH with the correct amount, so I had twice the normal amount in my account. They told me they'd sent out a "stop payment" for the check before I deposited it, but it didn't seem to have gone through because the money was in my account and it was a few days after they attempted to stop the payment. So they told me I should write them a check in the amount of the erroneous check, which I did two days ago. The check cleared yesterday morning and the extra amount was gone from my account. I thought that was it. Then I get an email this morning from my bank saying the "stop payment" went through and the amount of the original incorrect paycheck was removed from my account. So now my employer owes me the amount of the check I sent them!!!!! :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

A physical cheque? Where do you work? 1992? Hope it gets sorted. If not you need to send a strong worded fax to the head of finance. Alternatively page the MD to discuss! 🤪

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

A physical cheque? Where do you work? 1992? Hope it gets sorted. If not you need to send a strong worded fax to the head of finance. Alternatively page the MD to discuss! 🤪
I'm with with @Apple fanboy:

A physical cheque?

Wow. Seriously?

My mother used them extensively in the 1980s and 1990s; however, I haven't written one in around twenty years....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Two things are on my mind, just now.

The first is the carer: The lady she has been caring for, looking after, for the best part of the past two years, died around a fortnight ago (the carer called by this week to pick up some post, and let me know).

Yes, she will be seeking fresh employment, - that brings its own challenges, but, she is so good (and will receive superb references, not least from me), that this will not be (or should not be) a problem, but, just imagine a world where your work means that you get to form exceptionally close bonds, and ties, (as she does, and did) with the people you care for so wonderfully, with such care and competence and compassion, and then, they (inevitably) die, again and again.

And my left heel; today (and yesterday), it is excruciatingly painful when I walk.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Two things are on my mind, just now.

The first is the carer: The lady she has been caring for, looking after, for the best part of the past two years, died around a fortnight ago (the carer called by this week to pick up some post, and let me know).

Yes, she will be seeking fresh employment, - that brings its own challenges, but, she is so good (and will receive superb references, not east from me), that this will not be (or should not be) a problem, but, just imagine a world where your work means that you get to form exceptionally close ties (as she does, and did) with the people you care for so wonderfully, with such care and competence and compassion, and then, they (inevitably) die, again and again.

And my left heel; today (and yesterday), it is excruciatingly painful when I walk.
What did you do to your ankle?

D

Deleted member 215

Something about my position changing recently caused them to send me physical checks for a couple weeks instead of a direct deposit. Definitely felt old-timey. I've never had a physical paycheck otherwise. In either case, they said they will deposit me the money I sent them, so should be solved now.

I’m glad my parents showed me how to write a check, otherwise I wouldn’t have known. I had to dust off my checkbook that I got years ago when I got the account. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
What did you do to your ankle?
My heel, not my ankle.

Actually, I don't quite know what I did (other than walk to the local shops in the suburb, around 15 minutes away on foot, yesterday, to buy some beer, (and crisps) and to pay a few bills).

But, that is not quite true, as it was also somewhat sore (but, not, unlike this morning, utterly excruciating - this morning, the first few steps on getting out of bed were pure agony, as were the first steps on an earlier nocturnal visit to the House of A Thousand Pleasures), the previous day as well, when I had trotted to the nearest local shop for my (organic) milk which they usually keep for me each week.

A spot of online research (dear God, the internet, hypochondriacs - and I am not one, if anything, I'm almost the opposite - must revel in it) suggests that it might be something along the lines of plantar fasciitis; certainly, the symptoms I have seem to match those described

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
My heel, not my ankle.

Actually, I don't quite know what I did (other than walk to the local shops in the suburb, around 15 minutes away, yesterday to buy some beer, and to pay bills).

But, that is not quite true, as it was also somewhat sore (but, not excruciating - this morning, the first few steps on getting out of bed were agony, as were the first steps on an earlier nocturnal visit to the House of A Thousand Pleasures) the previous day as well when I trotted to the nearest local shop for milk.

A spot of online research (dear God, the internet, hypochondriacs - and I am not one, if anything, I'm almost the opposite - must revel in it) suggests that it might be something along the lines of plantar fasciitis; certainly, the symptoms I have seem to match those described
I’ve had that in the past and it can be quite painful. There are a series of stretches that can really help. But usually that’s the underside of your foot no?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I’ve had that in the past and it can be quite painful. There are a series of stretches that can really help. But usually that’s the underside of your foot no?

Yes, "quite painful" sounds about right, (actually, excruciating, last night, and agonising, this morning, once I left my bed, in fact, I was hobbling to the bathroom, rather than simply limping, and wondered whether I would even manage to get to the farmers' market); and yes, the pain can be found on the "near" underside of my left heel.

Now, - after a brief afternoon nap, with raised feet, it is still quite sore, but no longer absolutely agonising.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Something about my position changing recently caused them to send me physical checks for a couple weeks instead of a direct deposit. Definitely felt old-timey. I've never had a physical paycheck otherwise. In either case, they said they will deposit me the money I sent them, so should be solved now.

I’m glad my parents showed me how to write a check, otherwise I wouldn’t have known. I had to dust off my checkbook that I got years ago when I got the account. Lol

Checks make me chuckle, we very rarely write one, usually it's to some service provider like the folks who did some tree work for us recently, hahahaha, it was a struggle locating a check and determining how to write it :ROFLMAO:

We have a state client that sends a physical check (recurring 3-month payment), we scan it into our biz account with a phone, takes like 30 seconds. I did a side gig as a contractor for a client who is also an employer (if that sounds confusing, it is ... :D), wasn't setup with a way to pay other than a check, which they also FedEx'ed priority/overnight, the amazing gyrations just to pay, it was fine, again, app based scan and deposit, done. Well, the first payment actually hit a deposit max limit and required a bank visit, now talk about stepping back a couple of decades into the past, people waiting in line to deposit checks or take out money, WTF, hahaha ...

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

When I worked for Barnes & Noble (the original store), their systems were ancient and they would fax over payroll. A few times the fax didn't go through properly and they had to send folk paper checks at the last minute. Hated dealing with that as I got direct deposit first time I heard about it and insisted on it at previous employers.

The elderly couple that I assist sends me checks as reimbursement as that's the only way they know (I've gotten Beats from the Apple store, groceries when I was in their nabe, and set up accounts for them online). I often order things for them on their Amazon account and they don't trust electronic payments. I tried telling them if you can buy electronically, you should have no trouble paying others electronically. They get frazzled with so many scam calls about their Amazon account and always call me thinking I must have done something wrong. I gave up trying to convince them otherwise. They're in their mid to later 80s. I'll take the damn check and will e-deposit when I remember.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
When I started work I’d get paid in cash. The boss would come round with the brown envelopes and payslips. Then I’d deposit it at the local bar!

Gosh, yes.

That does bring back memories.

Those were the days.

When I first started work as a teacher in the university - I was also a postgrad - I worked for two different departments (hence, two separate budgets, plus payment for term paper and exam grading came from a third budget), the university had a horrid habit of issuing cheques after bank closing time on a Friday.

And yes, the university bar invariably did the needful, and cashed our cheques, while we had a beer, or two, or three......

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I started work I’d get paid in cash. The boss would come round with the brown envelopes and payslips. Then I’d deposit it at the local bar!
When i started as a teen in the construction industry in nyc, part of my job was to carry brown envelopes full of money to suspicious locations near the Fulton fish market.

Wait, what were we talking about?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I first worked in inventory maintenance at back of the shop where my dad and his partner ran an industrial heating/cooling contracting outfit. My job was to sort out the parts the guys dumped from their toolboxes as they returned from job sites and put them where they belonged or toss them into the scrap pile if damaged.

They too paid out in cash with payslips in brown envelopes. My first pay came with those items plus a note from my dad that $2.47 had been deducted to pay for the neighbor's garage window that I had "caused" to be shattered by making a fat pitch that one of my bothers had hit a home-run ball through on the previous weekend.

So much for the "privilege" of being a daughter of the boss... and yeah, from the pricetag of that garage window repair, you can tell it was a long, long time ago.

D

Deleted member 215

Knowing someone is going to be fired before they are is not pleasant. :( (The reason I know is because I do employee scheduling and my boss tells me when someone is leaving; it's just that so far, it's only been people quitting, usually temps finding full-time work somewhere else). But this is a full-time employee who's been here a year--someone I'm on friendly terms with. So talking to her today like everything was normal knowing what I know was so awkward and uncomfortable. I need a break from work...

Top Bottom
1 2