What’s On Your Mind?

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Does anybody ever take interest in certain things, then start seeing it IRL or online a lot?

For me it's a car I like, started seeing them everywhere lol.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So glad it’s a three day weekend. If I play my cards right I might only have to work one of them.
Same here, we had a company holiday today but one of my clients wasn't having any of that and escalated. We have flex time (unlimited vacation) and in the three years I've been with my company I've taken less than three weeks, it's a great selling point but the reality is we can never make the time. I'm just doing what I can to ride it out until next year when I can retire but it's a challenge.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I hate bad design. Really hate it.

Apple’s puck mouse was horrible. My AppleTV remote is not far behind. Half of the time I pick it up “upside down” and get thrown out of whatever I was watching instead of pausing or resuming it.

Sure, I can order or 3D print some kind of case to get rid of the problem, like the puck mouse got an add-on, but seriously, that shouldn’t be required!

Thanks. I’m all good now.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate bad design. Really hate it.

Apple’s puck mouse was horrible. My AppleTV remote is not far behind. Half of the time I pick it up “upside down” and get thrown out of whatever I was watching instead of pausing or resuming it.

Sure, I can order or 3D print some kind of case to get rid of the problem, like the puck mouse got an add-on, but seriously, that shouldn’t be required!

Thanks. I’m all good now.
They thought they were being innovative...I guess, but good examples of making something just to be different is not always the best choice or better. The puck mouse, came with one of my Macs was immediately tossed in a drawer, and the Apple TV remote, even after you get used to it, still sucks because pushing a button is less effort than swiping your thumb, especially when you swipe overshoot your target.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I just realised it's been like 12 years since I bought my iPod Classic. Shame I never kept the receipt, certainly got my moneys worth!

Trouble is, she's getting very laggy now. I feel dirty 😶 but I've been eyeing up a replacement.

I could never risk sending mine away for the SSD upgrade and I'm not very good at doing things like that myself.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I just realised it's been like 12 years since I bought my iPod Classic. Shame I never kept the receipt, certainly got my moneys worth!

Trouble is, she's getting very laggy now. I feel dirty 😶 but I've been eyeing up a replacement.

I could never risk sending mine away for the SSD upgrade and I'm not very good at doing things like that myself.
I still have my original 2001 iPod. Still works. It was very easy to put a new battery into and upgrade the 5GB drive to a 20GB one. Some of the later “classic” models were a bit more involved to get open…

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That's awesome. Yeah, looking at the teardowns etc put me right off!

I think it's all what you're used to, even if accustomed to working at little details of the mechanics of things.

A friend who thinks nothing of taking computing devices apart to upgrade them said to me once that he doesn't get why I'm put off by the idea of doing my own upgrades.... "I couldn't even thread one of your sewing machines with a manual in front of me never mind get oil in the right places in the chase of the thing. So there's no reason you couldn't snake the cable out from under that keyboard yourself and replace it."

Yeah but ....my eyes still glaze over when I look at how-to videos on upgrading e-devices. With a new sewing machine in hand though (and a manual or sometimes a one-off class on setups) I always manage to stumble through getting familiar with its innards and so eventually acquire a new set of "second nature" handiness with its use and maintenance. Somehow with the mobile computing devices though, my overall use of the stuff is permissibly more passive when it comes to the mechanics... so I just can't quite get there when it comes to taking it apart to upgrade components.

I usually hand off iPods or iPod touch or iPhones to neighborhood kids while they're still usable and let them deal with upgrading them if they like... otherwise they land in the e-cycle at my next opportunity. I still have a couple of functional Classics I should probably hand off while the drives still work ok. The stuff that came with flash drives like 2nd gen nanos i have tended to hang onto because they're so sturdy and handy.

lizkat

Reaction score
That's really good of you. :)

Also just really lazy... a handoff to a local kid is the easiest way to move stuff out once I've dissociated it from my ID and wiped the content off it. And an iPhone that's a couple generations back is still good enough to text or just use as a WiFi device for music etc. This is a pretty broke county so every little bit of gear that still works is a potential boon to someone around here.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I keep having weird dreams. If I could take one thing from the Harry Potter books it wouldn't be dragons or firebolts, it would be the potion for dreamless sleep!

lizkat

Reaction score
I keep having weird dreams. If I could take one thing from the Harry Potter books it wouldn't be dragons or firebolts, it would be the potion for dreamless sleep!

Ya gotta lay off those cranberry orange creamsicle things before bedtime, that's all. Stick to a tablespoon of peanut butter...

Today on my mind: the downsides of the upside of all our technology. This Nieman Labs roundup of today's earlier Fastly breakdown is a howl. A lot of outfits took to more or less blogging on Twitter and Fastly itself tried to play at that too although its timeline looked like a stuck 33RPM platter for awhile there. Hilarious unless you had a billion bucks riding on your internet-using deal-making capabilities... or a readership you can only reach via live net connections.

Sample scrape by the worker bees at Nieman Labs:

Confessional Mode at Deutsche Welle during Fastly outage.jpg

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
What's on my mind? Bloody insomnia. It's so typical that the only sleeping tablet/etc that ever worked for me stopped working.

Ugh, insomnia if you have to get up in the morning and be somewhere is a serious drag.

Heh, so get an audiobook in the category of your least-loved literature or history genre and crank that up for awhile, you'll be out like a light in 15 minutes. Don't pick something you think you'll love or you'll still be listening at dawn with eyes wide open.

Top Bottom
1 2