What’s On Your Mind?

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Heh, so get an audiobook in the category of your least-loved literature or history genre and crank that up for awhile, you'll be out like a light in 15 minutes. Don't pick something you think you'll love or you'll still be listening at dawn with eyes wide open.

That's a good idea. I use rain videos on YouTube most nights, but if I can get one to work on my TV it's worth a try. :)

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ugh, insomnia if you have to get up in the morning and be somewhere is a serious drag.

Heh, so get an audiobook in the category of your least-loved literature or history genre and crank that up for awhile, you'll be out like a light in 15 minutes. Don't pick something you think you'll love or you'll still be listening at dawn with eyes wide open.
In my late mother’s experience the genre was not so important; The key was the audiobook narrator. In her particular case, she found an author narrating his own books. Insta-sleep! Success!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Hah, no kidding. Why do the publishers let them DO that...
No idea. They kept letting the dude do that, to my mother’s delight. She probably got a copy of each.

Maybe it was in the guy’s contract, maybe the publisher just didn’t care why people bought the audiobooks as long as they did. :mrgreen:

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Summer rain is on my mind tonight, not the trance tune, but it started raining out of nowhere, apparently thunder is on the way.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Summer rain is on my mind tonight, not the trance tune, but it started raining out of nowhere, apparently thunder is on the way.

I was startled early today waking up to fog so thick I couldn't see even a hint of my own barn 70 feet away from the back door. Everything past about 15 feet was enveloped in a thick swirl of cloud. I must have missed an updated forecast or something late yesterday afternoon! What a strange start to the morning. At first I lay in bed wondering why I was awake "in the dark" and then, glancing at my XR, couldn't figure out how my phone's clock could have gone off the mark. Heh, it was nearly 5:30am already and absolutely nothing was wrong with that phone.

I can remmeber fog that thick sometimes coming out of the creeks and streams on my commutes upstate very late at night in midsummer. Unholy aggravation as it could take an hour to do the last ten miles to home in the wee hours, always wondering if fog lamps would lend me a view of a cow on the road before I hit the thing, in the event some farmer's dairy critter had decided to take a stroll off the homestead. Even at a slow rate of speed a full grown cow can get the best of a VW beetle. "Good times"...

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I was startled early today waking up to fog so thick I couldn't see even a hint of my own barn 70 feet away from the back door. Everything past about 15 feet was enveloped in a thick swirl of cloud. I must have missed an updated forecast or something late yesterday afternoon! What a strange start to the morning.

I can remmeber fog that thick sometimes coming out of the creeks and streams on my commutes upstate very late at night in midsummer.
Wow that sounds both cool and a bit alarming! I've seen foggy mornings here but nothing like that. Did it clear up later in the day?

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Laying here wide awake, with some trance on shuffle. Wrapped around me is my waffle blanket. Am thinking it was the best £8 I ever spent lol.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
How nice - how really pleasant, how wonderfully lovely - something I hadn't realised I missed so much - it is, to be able to meet with someone you are close to, face to face, (while still taking suitable and recommended health precautions).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, not sure if bender in this location is a little too threatening :D

(not actually stuck yet ...)

64636002941__F4862740-E0D5-4116-9165-F06A9FCE02C0 copy.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The World better help India get a handle on the Covid situation there, it is totally out of hand. The government is not counting hundreds of thousands of infections according to my former UN mates there.

Ouch.

A timely warning, and one worth heeding.

From my time working in similar countries, I have long harboured doubts about how they gather, and collate and record data (for statistical purposes).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The World better help India get a handle on the Covid situation there, it is totally out of hand. The government is not counting hundreds of thousands of infections according to my former UN mates there.

India likely joins a longer list... including at least Brazil, Russia and the USA. A lot of the stats are focused on covid as cause of death, and underreporting by choice.

The data often comes from examination of excess deaths and comparative sampling across hospitals, counties, etc. But some of it at least in India is also being measured by reported deaths and the reported vs likely number of cremations based on supply chain information - cloth for shrouds and wood for the pyres, etc.

We could start a whole thread on how undercounting in general (of people, events, situations) causes outward ripples of harm to the entirety of a nation and its subdivisions, whether intentionally, or through incompetence, ignorance or cherry-picking of data sets gathered via different methods of accomplishing the counts.

Was just reading the other day about how the incidence of homelessness of high school students in the USA is thought to be vastly undercounted. Part of it's due to different counting methods depending on who's doing the counting: federal agency like Education or Housing, or local counts by entities looking at a broader range of indicators. But a part of it's also due to perceived shame in being homeless, and efforts of homeless teens and their (housed) friends to help conceal such status. The effect though is an extra burden on teens trying to get through life to experience a high school graduation.

But back to the undercounting of covid infections and related excess deaths: that too has a component of perceived shame, which when you think about it has itself been shameful as it contributes to ongoing higher rates of infection than if the public were more aware of the severity of the pandemic to begin with. "Toxic shame" is a real thing.... even when its roots are cynically political.

Top Bottom
1 2