What’s On Your Mind?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
…which also, year after year, roughly coincides with a @Pumbaa birthday celebration.

Sure, correlation does not imply causation, I’m not going to take credit for causing the autumn equinoxes without more samples to back it up.

For me, it is the first, stark, signpost to winter (a season I loathe), an early warning that from now until March night will exceed day in length, and that we are approachig a tie of the year that I detest.

However, in truth, I really only feel this (onset of winter gloom) the weekend that the clocks go back an hour.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I'll tell you what's on MY mind...

I'm all snug and snuggly in bed around 11PM last night. It's comfortable, it's warm, I'm happy. As I find myself slowly drifting off to the lands of nod, I notice this light stinging sensation on my forehead. I lift my head, thinking that a piece of something or other had managed to work its way out of the pillow.

That's when I see it.

...a black caterpillar, one of those fat, fuzzy bastards, was crawling its way across my damn pillow right next to where I had laid my head. It didn't even scare me. I was too amazed to elicit anything other than open confusion. I ended up taking it outside, leaving it on the breezeway.

So what's on my mind today? I'll tell you: HOW THE HELL DID A CATERPILLAR GET IN MY DAMN HOUSE?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I'll tell you what's on MY mind...

I'm all snug and snuggly in bed around 11PM last night. It's comfortable, it's warm, I'm happy. As I find myself slowly drifting off to the lands of nod, I notice this light stinging sensation on my forehead. I lift my head, thinking that a piece of something or other had managed to work its way out of the pillow.

That's when I see it.

...a black caterpillar, one of those fat, fuzzy bastards, was crawling its way across my damn pillow right next to where I had laid my head. It didn't even scare me. I was too amazed to elicit anything other than open confusion. I ended up taking it outside, leaving it on the breezeway.

So what's on my mind today? I'll tell you: HOW THE HELL DID A CATERPILLAR GET IN MY DAMN HOUSE?
What about the related thought “Was it the only one? How many others are there?“?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
For me, it is the first, stark, signpost to winter (a season I loathe), an early warning that from now until March night will exceed day in length, and that we are approachig a tie of the year that I detest.

However, in truth, I really only feel this (onset of winter gloom) the weekend that the clocks go back an hour.

Yes, the autumn equinox almost merits crepe-hanging in my household. The earlier and earlier dark now... ugh!

So I'm suddenly less fond of my Sundial app with its crickets singing at the moment of sunset. I haven't shut off the notification yet but that moment is fast approaching. Noticing the arrival of twilight minutes earlier every evening lost all appeal to me once sunset slipped back to before 7pm.

Anyway I can hear a real cricket singing now every evening, since one has moved into the honeysuckle thicket outside my deck. Its next stop is probably under the crawlspace of the deck and so to the environs of a kitchen warmer and more appealing than another night in the shrubbery. But getting from the deck to my kitchen is an adventure most crickets don't seem to manage to complete. Once in awhile one does get in. I don't mind, really, but at close range it can be pretty loud.

lizkat

Reaction score
I bet I'm gonna wake up one morning, hearing the scare chords playing...

Nah, it will have gone off to curl up in a leaf big enough to eat some and leave some to take a nap in. You'll see it after the magic of metamorphosis, flying around a lamp some evening and making the cats go nuts trying to catch it. That noise won't be scare chords, just bric-a-brac falling off the end table.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Nah, it will have gone off to curl up in a leaf big enough to eat some and leave some to take a nap in. You'll see it after the magic of metamorphosis, flying around a lamp some evening and making the cats go nuts trying to catch it. That noise won't be scare chords, just bric-a-brac falling off the end table.

Which reminds me, what's the point of having an indoor cat if she won't eat bugs?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Excited for fall, the slight drop in temp is so nice, especially since this is when the humidity starts going down, we're normally dealing with walking through a sauna levels ...

1632664093865.png

lizkat

Reaction score
Excited for fall, the slight drop in temp is so nice, especially since this is when the humidity starts going down, we're normally dealing with walking through a sauna levels ...

View attachment 8889

Hah yeah you can't fool us. You are excited for fall because Halloween is coming. Pumpkiny goodness my first clue.

Meanwhile that weather does sound almost enticing. We're getting into the season where 70s will be a treat and 60s the norm. I don't mind as long as the sun shines and delivers a lingering Indian Summer. We've got one coming after the rainy July we had.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You are excited for fall because Halloween is coming.

We are very excited :D We have something brand new currently in the design phase ... o_O

This year, I'm gonna hand out steaks for Halloween.

Nice.

We're back to full bars* this year, last year we did these really fun glove-full-of-candy, they looked like creepy hands, semi-opaque, neat effect.

*Please refer to Bob's Burgers, Season 3 / Episode 2 / "Full Bars"

lizkat

Reaction score
This year, I'm gonna hand out steaks for Halloween.

Yeh keep it real and forget all the pumpkin-spice chatter. Around here pumpkins are doorstep decorations but after that they're just like any other winter squash and so get served up with butter, salt and pepper.

Wait... what are your steaks going to made out of?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're having stakes tonight, you know, because we live in Santa Carla :D

(we're actually having the 'ea' variety, appears to be bacon wrapped filets from Ohoma :D)

Top Bottom
1 2