General What’s Your Ailment?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
With my wacky body and how I can only eat protein and veggies a few times a week I have to learn How much fuel I need to ride. I jsut tried a week or so of eating only when I was hungry and feel normal full I guess. but my riding got harder and harder and slower. I thought I was eating something that bothered me but nope. so I figured I was not eating enough. with me if i don't eat enough my body goes into starvation mode even if I eating a more normal amount of food. I don't lose weight either so its hard to know if I am not eating enough or the right amount. but I started eating a fair amount more and after a couple of days my power levels and energy returned. Idid a total of 65 miles today without a huge amount of problems. tired but not exhausted. so I need to find how mucho eat without overeating so I can lose weight. I know now what is too little. I don't know how fine a line with me is between starving and eating enough to lose weight.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
CPAP talk- My wife has sleep apnea, she’s been using a Phillips Resperonics System One CPAP. Got a recall notice that do to a foam breakdown item needs to be repaired or replaced. The kicker? Phillips has not got regulatory approval from the Federal Govt so my impression is that nothing is currently being done to repair/replace CPAP units, while they recommend that stop using the unit, and there was some mention of use of “unauthorized” O2 cleaning systems like the $300 SoClean (contributing to the foam breakdown issue), she has been using for several years that uses ionized O2 to kill bacteria in the mask and hose. What too convenient?? This is irritating.

Right now the plan is to contact our medical device supplier and get some advice on replacement or what? The idea of daily hand washing mask and hose is a realistically a non-starter. More to come...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
CPAP talk- My wife has sleep apnea, she’s been using a Phillips Resperonics System One CPAP. Got a recall notice that do to a foam breakdown item needs to be repaired or replaced. The kicker? Phillips has not got regulatory approval from the Federal Govt so my impression is that nothing is currently being done to repair/replace CPAP units, while they recommend that stop using the unit, and there was some mention of use of “unauthorized” O2 cleaning systems like the $300 SoClean (contributing to the foam breakdown issue), she has been using for several years that uses ionized O2 to kill bacteria in the mask and hose. What too convenient?? This is irritating.

Right now the plan is to contact our medical device supplier and get some advice on replacement or what? The idea of daily hand washing mask and hose is a realistically a non-starter. More to come...
Now I have to wait until I reach today’s ultimate destination and unpack my CPAP to see which model I have. I know it’s a Phillips Resperonics, but I have no idea which one. The bright side for me, is I’m due for a new machine in January.

Keep us posted.

U

User.191

Got lucky and replaced my aging System One a while back and am currently using a Resmed Air Curve.

One thing I was told when I first got the machine though was to never buy any cleaning stuff. I always use distilled water in the humidifier and clean the hose weekly with normal water and so far it's been good.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm pretty sure I need a CPAP machine, my wife swears I'm dying a dozen times per night but don't like the thought of going in for a sleep study.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got lucky and replaced my aging System One a while back and am currently using a Resmed Air Curve.

One thing I was told when I first got the machine though was to never buy any cleaning stuff. I always use distilled water in the humidifier and clean the hose weekly with normal water and so far it's been good.

Have you tried a SoClean? Wife has been using that and liking it, although Philips blames them for the breakdown of the foam in their System One. The idea of using ionized air to clean the breathing tube seems good. She is going though the final stages of qualifying for a new machine and in the meantime uses a disposable filter to make sure she is not inhaling any thing other than air.
I'm pretty sure I need a CPAP machine, my wife swears I'm dying a dozen times per night but don't like the thought of going in for a sleep study.
When you are younger, you can get away with it, but as you age, not breathing for long periods of time and you finally gasp recover, puts a strain on a variety of your organs and disrupts your sleep patterns. Go do the study. I say that but I probably should get a sleep study done too. I mitigate snoring by sleeping on my side,

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Have you tried a SoClean? Wife has been using that and liking it, although Philips blames them for the breakdown of the foam in their System One. The idea of using ionized air to clean the breathing tube seems good. She is going though the final stages of qualifying for a new machine and in the meantime uses a disposable filter to make sure she is not inhaling any thing other than air.

When you are younger, you can get away with it, but as you age, not breathing for long periods of time and you finally gasp recover, puts a strain in a variety of your organs and disrupts your sleep patterns. Go do the study. I say that but I probably should get a sleep study done too. I mitigate snoring by sleeping on my side,
Just researching and it looks like they offer a home test study, I'll ask my doctor about it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just researching and it looks like they offer a home test study, I'll ask my doctor about it.
It will wind up depending on your insurance. My doctor was willing to do the home study, but my insurance company wanted me to do the in-facility study. Seems like they’d want it the other way around. I don’t understand insurance.

Meanwhile, I’ve finally found a mask that I like. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a new machine in December when it’s time to visit “Dr. Sleep” again.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
ya my wife did it twice. but she couldn't ever handle the machine and the last time because of covid there was no real support. plus it was a hassle for her being blind.

U

User.191

It will wind up depending on your insurance. My doctor was willing to do the home study, but my insurance company wanted me to do the in-facility study. Seems like they’d want it the other way around. I don’t understand insurance.

Meanwhile, I’ve finally found a mask that I like. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a new machine in December when it’s time to visit “Dr. Sleep” again.
What mask are you going for? I've tried so many but find only one Nasal mask seems to work.

You should. The sleep studies are honestly fine - just plan to take the next day off work because chances are you'll ironically possibly not get much sleep.
Have you tried a SoClean?

Nope - just soap and water. Rather glad I did, now.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve posted this here somewhere, but for sleep apnea and snoring I’ve had great results using this.

Been using for a couple years. There’s a lot of similar products out there and dentists sell them also.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What mask are you going for? I've tried so many but find only one Nasal mask seems to work.

AirFit P10 For Her Mask with Headgear​

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve posted this here somewhere, but for sleep apnea and snoring I’ve had great results using this.

Been using for a couple years. There’s a lot of similar products out there and dentists sell them also.
Of interest I looked at a similiar product called ZQuiet which looks like it operates on a similar principle, it holds your lower jaw forward. Many people at Amazon who gave it a one rating, called it extremely uncomfortable, some claimed that it might misalign your teeth/jaw. How comfortable Is SnoreRX? I’ve tried to sleep with a teeth guard to stop from grinding my teeth, which I’m not sure I do, but it was uncomfortable enough to keep me awake.

U

User.191

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Of interest I looked at a similiar product called ZQuiet which looks like it operates on a similar principle, it holds your lower jaw forward. Many people at Amazon who gave it a one rating, called it extremely uncomfortable, some claimed that it might misalign your teeth/jaw. How comfortable Is SnoreRX? I’ve tried to sleep with a teeth guard to stop from grinding my teeth, which I’m not sure I do, but it was uncomfortable enough to keep me awake.

It takes getting used to for sure, but all of these mechanical methods for snoring/apnea do. Now, I barely think about it. It’s important to brush your teeth before and after using it because mouthpiece = gross. But, it’s all gross.

These devices require a healthy set of teeth though. When I lose those someday I’ve no idea what I’ll do.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It takes getting used to for sure, but all of these mechanical methods for snoring/apnea do. Now, I barely think about it. It’s important to brush your teeth before and after using it because mouthpiece = gross. But, it’s all gross.

These devices require a healthy set of teeth though. When I lose those someday I’ve no idea what I’ll do.
I’d still recommend a sleep study. Holding your jaw forward is not a solution for sleep apnea, only snoring. It’s worth finding out if you have apnea or if you only snore.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d still recommend a sleep study. Holding your jaw forward is not a solution for sleep apnea, only snoring. It’s worth finding out if you have apnea or if you only snore.
There’s little doubt in my mind they’re connected, though. If one has obstructive sleep apnea, mandible devices can definitely help.

Me = Not a doctor or anything close. 😊

U

User.45

B: een using for a couple years. There’s a lot of similar products out there and dentists sell them also.
FYI: FDA cleared is a low bar.

U

User.45

I’ve no doubt but my wife saying I’m 90% quieter is the only bar that needs clearing.
No, that's the concern. Did you have a sleep study? You can desaturate w/o snoring too. The real bar to meet is to keep your blood oxygenated. The jaw repositioning devices are only good for mild/mild-to-mod OSA.

Top Bottom
1 2