Mine:

180B747A-9611-49C2-9C61-5B141BB92B96.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At the moment, happy that you started a new thread in this forum to kick it off. 😁

In general, sort of melancholy at times over this pandemic. We haven't had food from outside of our home in 5 months and many in our rural area refuse to wear a mask as infections spike in this county so we're afraid to go anywhere. Aside from that I make the best of it, taking photos in the back yard and an occasional drive to see some daylight.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m glad I was already on antidepressants. I’d guess that prescriptions have gone way up lately.

For the last 25 years I’ve had dinner weekly with the same couple. I’ve seen them once in the last 6 months. I can spend the early hours on the deck, but then it gets too hot and humid to stay. I’m looking forward to some cooler weather so I can at least go back to walking.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, we are in the same boat with our friends, haven't been able to hang out with anyone in months. What section of the country are you in? I'm in CA and we're going through a heatwave right now, supposed to be between 105 and 110 all week here but we don't have a lot of humidity so walking in the early mornings isn't too bad.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, we are in the same boat with our friends, haven't been able to hang out with anyone in months. What section of the country are you in? I'm in CA and we're going through a heatwave right now, supposed to be between 105 and 110 all week here but we don't have a lot of humidity so walking in the early mornings isn't too bad.

Gulf coast, south Alabama. The part most people think is either Florida or Mississippi. We're in monsoon season. Mobile is the rainiest city in the country and this time of year is just miserable. Doesn't help the mood any.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Since I no longer dwell in the groves of academe, (nor watch TV) I am neither acquainted with, nor up to speed on, much of what passes for current slang.

What does "rad" mean in the context of this discussion - (apart from something that I assume is positive)?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I had posted this elsewhere, but this - more meditative - and thoughtful - thread seems more appropriate.

We - @Alli - had quoted from it - had been discussing the play/musical "Hamilton" and, I love plays, the theatre, and have never managed to see this superb production yet (and - if and when the world thinks to try to return to something ever so vague resembling normalcy, this is a play I would love to see, performed live, in a real, genuine, authentic, honest-to-God theatre, with a stage, actors, music, and a live audience.

Someday, someday....

As someone you (most, if not all of you) know, I have worked in some of the most dysfunctional laces on the planet.

That experience has given me a whole new, entirely fresh appreciation of some of the more agreeable aspects of our more mundane existence in the First World: Coffee shops, museums, theatres, pubs, bars, restaurants,book-shops, art galleries, concerts, just being able to sit and read a newspaper while sipping a cup of coffee.

Bliss.

Any lingering shades of silly, self-indulgent cynicism, that cultural jaded palate of the perennially tired teen, (and the university world prizes, promotes, encourages that sort of teen mindset, - eceb among, indeed, sometimes, especially among, the academic staff - well, as long as it is comes with an enquiring mind, and a reasonably hard-working ethos) disappeared or dissipated when I was faced with the world as endured by those who have survived war, civil war, all kinds of strife, destruction, dysfunction, challenges & - very often stratospheric corruption of a deeply depressing nature.

So, I developed a fresh - and real - appreciation of the small - almost mundane - but profoundly pleasant and civilised - pleasures of our world, small pleasures now mostly suspended, or in (hopefully temporary) abeyance, as a result of Covid-19.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It’s slightly better than sick.
Also goes well with bitchin'

Thank you, both; much appreciated.

Once upon a time, I taught university students, and they took no small pride in dutifully keeping me up-to-date with the argot of the young.

Urban Dictionary informs me (and I am utterly unable to break with the studious habits of a researcher that governed the life of the academic I once was, and the historian I still am) that "rad" is an even more pronounced and emphatic expression for those for whom "cool" and "awesome" (both perfectly good terms) no longer suffice.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I think that’s the thing I miss most about teaching high school. They took delight in helping me try to stay relevant.

I remember the explanations - crisp, meticulous and precise - ("US prison slang meaning homosexual rape") for the verb "shafted" that my male students offered me.

Actually, they were genuinely delighted - as you have said, @Alli - to be in a position where they could enlighten me on such matters: Now, I knew what was understood by the term in the context of a political discussion where the meaning seemed to cover the concept of back-stabbing, but, one day in class, I had idly wondered what the etymology, or the linguistic history, of the verb was.

"Wanker" (which I subsequently had to explain the meaning of to my mother - my brother stared at the table and pretended he hadn't heard her question, as she wonders what this term we had used to describe a politician we both loathed actually meant) was another expression which came up in class.

Yes, I also loved teaching; at its best, it was great fun, - the job satisfaction was off the scale - and I learned a lot, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2