What’s your current mood?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Y'all just stop. Where I live I can get Instacart to deliver groceries but nobody will bring takeout food this far out of the towns. I've been making fake pizzas out of pitas with assorted toppings. They're ok but they're fake fake fake... and I can hardly wait for late September when (in theory, and barring coronavirus upticks) a pal and I are taking our mad money and face masks and venturing out of the boondocks for some not-home-cooking for the first time since the February thaw last winter.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Y'all just stop. Where I live I can get Instacart to deliver groceries but nobody will bring takeout food this far out of the towns. I've been making fake pizzas out of pitas with assorted toppings. They're ok but they're fake fake fake... and I can hardly wait for late September when (in theory, and barring coronavirus upticks) a pal and I are taking our mad money and face masks and venturing out of the boondocks for some not-home-cooking for the first time since the February thaw last winter.

You could try to meet the delivery driver right at the edge of their delivery radius. We used to do that all the time when I worked at Domino's way back when.

And if you're still worried about contracting the virus, you could conduct the whole thing like a hostage situation, instructing the driver from a distance, telling to leave the pizza next to the road, and that their tip is under the rock just to the right of the nearest mailbox.

lizkat

Reaction score
You could try to meet the delivery driver right at the edge of their delivery radius. We used to do that all the time when I worked at Domino's way back when.

And if you're still worried about contracting the virus, you could conduct the whole thing like a hostage situation, instructing the driver from a distance, telling to leave the pizza next to the road, and that their tip is under the rock just to the right of the nearest mailbox.

Sounds like a plan... although I'm without a car now so everything is by remote arrangement with a third party for stuff like that. My bro and I have been doing drops like we're in the CIA or something when we swap my check to him for cash that he gets at an ATM for me so I can pay the guy who mows my lawn. I leave the check in my recycle box on the porch and then an envelope with cash in it mysteriously appears there at some point. One of these days we might actually catch sight of each other again, who knows.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, I'm willing to sacrifice some toppings to make for a better fed board. Tell me what you don't like, and I won't order it.

That’s very kind of you, but since I’m a vegetarian, you’re probably better off if I just pick off the stuff I don’t eat. I’m not overly fond of bell peppers or olives either.

You sound like me when my mother and daughter start talking about their trips to Trader Joe’s and what they’ve gotten. We don’t have one here and it’s soooooo disappointing!

lizkat

Reaction score
You sound like me when my mother and daughter start talking about their trips to Trader Joe’s and what they’ve gotten. We don’t have one here and it’s soooooo disappointing!

Same here only it's my sister and her daughter. I have to forward my Trader Joe (and Wegman's) cravings to them up in the Ithaca area, or else take a list with me when I go so we can build a shopping trip into our time together. There's also a Wegman's around 60 miles west of here but that always seemed a bit far to go just for groceries. What there isn't right here that I do need from Ithaca or Syracuse is stuff from Asian markets. We frequent a place called Win Li that serves Ithaca area. It's not NYC or Syr and definitely not rock bottom prices even for Ithaca options, but friendly service and when the produce truck from NYC has just arrived, it's heaven. And if one is short on Buddhist readings, well there's an enlightening selection at no charge. Great bags of baby bok choi and other greens... I take a cooler to my sister's house, we make a trip to Win Li and come back to divvy up the fresh and some frozen things as well, stashing the frozen items in her freezer until time to head home.

Or at least that's how it worked before this blasted coronavirus. I expect it will sort out eventually. Meanwhile BJ's nor Aldi carrry bok choi for Instacart to re-up my supply... so I get all blasphemous 🤫 once in awhile, reeling off a doctored bit of the Apostle's Creed, the original of which says that I live in hope of the resurrection: these days I live in hope of fresh bok choi in my soup plate once again before (or after?) I die, but for now it's just some mixed spring greens landing in that plate.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That's another one. Again, when my kids were young was the first time I'd heard that. Up until then I thought that word applied only to clueless city slickers trying to act like cowboys. You know, like a dude ranch.

Works for me. I just want someone else to make the decision as to what to have.
You do that, you end up with anchovies. 😣

...Supreme pizza. All the way.
So bad for you. But so good. 🤤

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Anyone condemning anchovies?

They are wonderful.

I have been know to attack the contents of tins of anchovies, while mulling over what to cook.

And they supply a brilliant umami taste note when melted, or dissolved, in olive oil at the outset of preparing almost any pasta sauce, - not necessarily solely with tomatoes - or seafood soup/broth/stew.

Anchovies are up there along with lemons, & garlic, as something I consider, or regard, as food for and from the gods.

lizkat

Reaction score
Anyone condemning anchovies?

They are wonderful.

I have been know to attack the contents of tins of anchovies, while mulling over what to cook.

And they supply a brilliant umami taste note when melt, or dissolved, in olive oil at the outset of preparing almost any pasta sauce, or seafood soup/broth/stew.

Anchovies are up there along with lemons, & garlic, as something I consider, or regard, as food for and from the gods.

I know, I know... it's just sometimes I would like to have a very very very tiny little tin of them. Two fish.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I know, I know... it's just sometimes I would like to have a very very very tiny little tin of them. Two fish.
If you want (need) to ration yourself, or your consumption, (and I do empathise on the temptation) try the small jars, rather tha the tins.

Ortiz produce both tins and jars of anchovies.

lizkat

Reaction score
If you want (need) to ration yourself, or your consumption, (and I do empathise on the temptation) try the small jars, rather tha the tins.

Ortiz produce both tins and jars of anchovies.

Yah I long ago had a tiny sample jar of honey mustard with a nice lid that I kept to contain desirable leftovers like some anchovies or four olives or whatever. I'd still like a half-size tin of anchovies though, so there would be nothing left to keep track of for once. But it sounds like you may not have that problem. :D

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yah I long ago had a tiny sample jar of honey mustard with a nice lid that I kept to contain desirable leftovers like some anchovies or four olives or whatever. I'd still like a half-size tin of anchovies though, so there would be nothing left to keep track of for once. But it sounds like you may not have that problem. :D

The jars are more expensive (than the tins), but also more useful, in that one need merely extract (remove) the number of anchovies that one wants, or needs, on whatever occasion they are required, rather than being obliged to consume the entire tin at one sitting (or a single session with pots and/or pans)....

lizkat

Reaction score
My mood this afternoon, bittersweet to go with that steady shift of summer towards its end. Today had the same general appearance of the morning as yesterday but the breeze is tinged with enough northwest in it to make 72ºF feel like might need a sweater.

The calls of summer-only birds in my yard are not what they were even last week, and of course it's ever more tempting --by a couple more minutes per day-- to tweak what I mean by "rising with the light" towards the idea of actually waiting for the sun to show up on the job before I roll out of bed. But I know that soon enough it would mean I'd still be lazing around upstairs when half my usual morning had gone past me.

Not really looking forward to the natural aspects of November (although the political season is an entirely different story in my books). As far as morning light goes, I'm already eager to fast-forward past the winter solstice and holidays to late January when rising with earlier daylight is a joy again.

Well the best mood changer for me is either a walk or a book or a bit of music, so that library ebook that will self-destruct in a couple days now is next up for me.

Top Bottom
1 2