What are you doing today?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a Business Intelligence Director and she's currently a broker support agent for a regional financial service house.

She's fully licensed and I'm a total dullard with no qualifications to my name.

Life makes no sense.
I have no clue what a Business Intelligence Director is, but it sounds impressive. And I do know what you mean about life making no sense.

U

User.191

I have no clue what a Business Intelligence Director is, but it sounds impressive. And I do know what you mean about life making no sense.
It means very little really. Business Intelligence is a cop out word that corporatations use when they want to make it look like they're doing something useful and clever with their data.

The reality is I bitch monstop about how dirty, and therefore unusful, the corporate data is until eventually it gets dealt with and cleaned up just to shut me up (and because it's the right thing to do).

I personally don't do anything with the data - there's folk immeasurably smarter than I paid half my salary, to do that.

I get paid to be an opinionated bitch with a loud mouth, a desire to do the right thing, and a keen spidey sense to know when something is wrong and how to fix it.

Still feels wrong to be paid for this. I'll take it but still doesn't make any sense.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The wife looks a bit brighter today on day 2 after her vaccination. The sun is shining and I hope we’ll at least get out for a walk. Touch wood, fingers crossed.
First or second? Took me a good week to get over the first. Not looking forward to the second. I'm guessing it will be around June time.

Gardening this morning. Bit of housework this afternoon. Mrs AFB hurt her leg yesterday so is pretty much immobile today. I'll go for a walk in a bit. Make her another tea before I go.

U

User.191

I'd totally forgotten how long it takes in between jabs back home. Wifey and I got Pfizer which is 3 weeks between jabs so I had my second a week ago and wife this Wednesday.

My 80 yo mum meanwhile got her first in February and is getting her second this week.

Hopefully.

She's in hospital again right now and my sister's trying to see if the GP can go in and give her the jab there.

And I say again because she only just got out 2 weeks ago after a broken hip only to fall again on her second night at home and break her arm...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'd totally forgotten how long it takes in between jabs back home. Wifey and I got Pfizer which is 3 weeks between jabs so I had my second a week ago and wife this Wednesday.

My 80 yo mum meanwhile got her first in February and is getting her second this week.

Hopefully.

She's in hospital again right now and my sister's trying to see if the GP can go in and give her the jab there.

And I say again because she only just got out 2 weeks ago after a broken hip only to fall again on her second night at home and break her arm...
Sorry to hear this, hope she recovers okay. My mother (who is also 80) fell last week off of her couch while napping and hit her head, her neighbor heard her and they had to call an ambulance. It's hard for us because she refuses to move into any sort of assisted living and she is no longer capable of living by herself but she absolutely refuses.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
First or second? Took me a good week to get over the first. Not looking forward to the second. I'm guessing it will be around June time.

Gardening this morning. Bit of housework this afternoon. Mrs AFB hurt her leg yesterday so is pretty much immobile today. I'll go for a walk in a bit. Make her another tea before I go.
First for us. Wales is a bit ahead of England for our age group as many of our friends the same age are still waiting.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Sorry to hear this, hope she recovers okay. My mother (who is also 80) fell last week off of her couch while napping and hit her head, her neighbor heard her and they had to call an ambulance. It's hard for us because she refuses to move into any sort of assisted living and she is no longer capable of living by herself but she absolutely refuses.
Having aging parents is an interesting experience. My mum turns 87 tomorrow. She is currently getting around on a cane or walker, depending on the distance she expects to travel. She had a fall (great story) and fractured both her pelvis and sacrum back in March. Spent a month in rehab and came home. She now tells people she was in rehab for oxycodone, cause she’d never had any before rehab and she got lots of it there. 🤣 Fortunately, she’d already had both jabs by the time she fell.

So I must tell the story of her fall. She has been very good about staying in during Covid and has socialized only with her brother and sister-in-law who live two buildings over. But she realllllly wanted a pedicure. She was not ready for that kind of intimate socialization with strangers, so she decided she’d do it herself and filled the tub about a quarter of the way with nice warm water and sat on the edge with her pants rolled up. Everything looked good and then she she swung her legs over the side to dry them and lost her balance. Boom! Could have been so much worse. But she’s mending nicely and is already driving again and running errands on her own.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
First for us. Wales is a bit ahead of England for our age group as many of our friends the same age are still waiting.
It varies all over. I was really surprised when I got the text for mine as I was expecting it to be end of April at the earliest. But people I work with who are in Birmingham who are older are still waiting. So that's a win for Worcestershire.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Having aging parents is an interesting experience. My mum turns 87 tomorrow. She is currently getting around on a cane or walker, depending on the distance she expects to travel. She had a fall (great story) and fractured both her pelvis and sacrum back in March. Spent a month in rehab and came home. She now tells people she was in rehab for oxycodone, cause she’d never had any before rehab and she got lots of it there. 🤣 Fortunately, she’d already had both jabs by the time she fell.

So I must tell the story of her fall. She has been very good about staying in during Covid and has socialized only with her brother and sister-in-law who live two buildings over. But she realllllly wanted a pedicure. She was not ready for that kind of intimate socialization with strangers, so she decided she’d do it herself and filled the tub about a quarter of the way with nice warm water and sat on the edge with her pants rolled up. Everything looked good and then she she swung her legs over the side to dry them and lost her balance. Boom! Could have been so much worse. But she’s mending nicely and is already driving again and running errands on her own.
My parents are both in their mid 70's. My Dad is in good health but my Mum isn't. I don't live anywhere near them and I do worry what will happen as they get older. My Mum's husband is about 10 years younger than her, so hopefully he will be able to look after her as she deteriorates.

My Dad is the sort who still likes to do things he did 30 years ago. So he'll tell me he's been up on the roof or digging out a pond. He is supposed to be going to Tewkesbury for a couple of days soon, so I plan to visit him then. It's been a good few years since we met up.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
As a Warwickshire lass I can attest the Wales is always ahead of England.

I may have been brought up in Shakespeare country, but mae fy nghalon yn perthyn i wales.

It’s the opposite for me. I was born in Stratford Upon Avon and lived there until I was 11, then moved to Banbury until I was 19 before finally moving to Wales where I’ve been ever since. Cool to see a fellow Warwickshire person! I do love Wales though but can’t wait to visit my parents back home soon :)

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
It varies all over. I was really surprised when I got the text for mine as I was expecting it to be end of April at the earliest. But people I work with who are in Birmingham who are older are still waiting. So that's a win for Worcestershire.

A lot of our friends live in London or Surrey and they are way behind. They can’t believe we are having ours now. Less older people in this area maybe??

U

User.191

It’s the opposite for me. I was born in Stratford Upon Avon and lived there until I was 11, then moved to Banbury until I was 19 before finally moving to Wales where I’ve been ever since. Cool to see a fellow Warwickshire person! I do love Wales though but can’t wait to visit my parents back home soon :)
Good grief! Head up the A34 and you'd have hit me before the M42!

And I spent some time in Banbury working for the Army base there back in my day!

Whilst my first love in Wales is Pembrokshire, I did spend quite some time in Cardiff working on the old British Steel site.

Tiny world!

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Good grief! Head up the A34 and you'd have hit me before the M42!

And I spent some time in Banbury working for the Army base there back in my day!

Whilst my first love in Wales is Pembrokshire, I did spend quite some time in Cardiff working on the old British Steel site.

Tiny world!
I lived in Cardiff for 7 years before moving up the valleys when we had our first child. Needed the free child care of my wife’s parents lol. We spend many a weekend away in Tenby, Pembrokeshire or at my parents cottage in Ceredigion. Fantastic scenery here. I’ve never lost my English accent and so many people think I’m posh lol.

I know the British steel site in Cardiff where you mention, I think it’s still just about operating too even if it’s a fraction of what it used to be.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ordered myself a green screen, should get it delivered to my door by tomorrow evening. Video meetings are going to be way more convenient in the future!

I probably won‘t even bother with actual green screening à la background replacement for quite some time, just happy to block off the view of my home a bit. Chatting with friends and family that I would totally invite into my home for real is one thing, online meetings with strangers and others something completely different.

U

User.191

I lived in Cardiff for 7 years before moving up the valleys when we had our first child. Needed the free child care of my wife’s parents lol. We spend many a weekend away in Tenby, Pembrokeshire or at my parents cottage in Ceredigion. Fantastic scenery here. I’ve never lost my English accent and so many people think I’m posh lol.

I know the British steel site in Cardiff where you mention, I think it’s still just about operating too even if it’s a fraction of what it used to be.
We used to stay in a century old cottage in Summerhill, just outside of Amroth and Wisemans Bridge.

I used to love taking long walks down to Saundersfoot Harbour and back.

Happy happy days.

I've been here in the States for 20+ years and still have my full on accent - although I do find a bit of Brummie to be a most excellent deterrent to panhandlers (street beggers)...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been here in the States for 20+ years and still have my full on accent - although I do find a bit of Brummie to be a most excellent deterrent to panhandlers (street beggers)...
I’ve been in the States longer and my accent is mostly gone. I have turned into one of those obnoxious people who simply parrots the accents of whoever is in the majority. Can’t help it. If I read out loud it’s pretty much English with a little American Midwest thrown in for spice.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Some days I feel my actual chronological age and then a few more years on top of that, and other days I feel and sometimes act the way I did when I was significantly younger......

I often feel like a juvenile delinquent as the season changes... balking at going to bed "on time" even though dawn breaks earlier and earlier... no one around here who might notice is going to remark on my lights still being on at 11pm or later, since I worked various shifts when I was telecommuting to work, sometimes supporting co-workers in LA or Chicago etc. Thanks to the coronavirus, no one knows how short tempered I eventually get when waking up with the birds but being an hour or more short of sleep as time goes on. Sooner or later it catches up to me, then I become my own mother again for awhile and start telling myself "geez don't have tea now!" and "time to call it a day, ya think?!"

Also as I get older I try to be a little more careful about not doing stuff that could net me a fall and a broken bone or worse. Not a problem being careful about stuff like that in winter, as snow and ice make caution almost second nature... but it's more annoying to have to remember to take a walking stick up into the meadow with me in good weather, since I never used to bother with that but now figure it's a good idea.

Top Bottom
1 2