What are you doing today?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Back from the Ophthalmologist and happily it is not an infection and not something more serious -- apparently there were a couple of eyelashes growing inward and causing the irritation in the lower eyelid and the eye at that point. She plucked them out and hopefully that will solve the problem!

If I read this earlier, I probably could've told you it was probably a stye. I had a couple of them myself over the years, all with the same symptoms.

What's weird is despite how they look, they're not at all itchy or stingy. Rather, they ache like a bruise, like someone just straight up decked you in the eye.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Back from the Ophthalmologist and happily it is not an infection and not something more serious -- apparently there were a couple of eyelashes growing inward and causing the irritation in the lower eyelid and the eye at that point. She plucked them out and hopefully that will solve the problem! Weird -- usually I know when I've got a stray hair floating around in one of my eyes but I think due to the location this time I couldn't see anything obvious but could sure feel it. She gave me some ointment to apply three times per day and that should clear things up, too, over the next several days. I have another appointment for next week for her to take a look. Whew, I am relieved, to say the least, that it was nothing serious and the ointment already seems to be soothing the pain a bit.

Delighted to hear this; terrific news, and you must be massively relieved.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
If I read this earlier, I probably could've told you it was probably a stye. I had a couple of them myself over the years, all with the same symptoms.

What's weird is despite how they look, they're not at all itchy or stingy. Rather, they ache like a bruise, like someone just straight up decked you in the eye.

My styes (and yes, I am somewhat prone to them, when stressed, or run-down) tend to reside in that exact excruciating spot on a Venn diagram where sore meets itchy.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
My styes (and yes, I am somewhat prone to them, when stressed, or run-down) tend to reside in that exact excruciating spot on a Venn diagram where sore meets itchy.

I've been lucky then. Mine always start out with a vague soreness which leaves me wondering if I somehow got backhanded in the middle of the night. A couple days later, I'll see the stye form, then all I have to do from there is endure for a week until it goes away.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Because of the Treacher Collins Syndrome, my eyes are not quite the normal shape of most people's and there is not a lot of support under the eyes (most of us with this syndrome don't have great cheekbones) so that in many cases the two eyelids don't close completely. Mine do close (thanks to surgeries years ago) but there is still not exactly normal closure. It makes sense to me that a couple of eyelashes would decide to grow the other way instead of outward the way they're supposed to do. Never had a stye, but I do know what they are -- the idea of that or of something foreign in the eye -- a hair, an eyelash -- which was very much there but that I couldn't see simply just didn't occur to me. Usually when I've got a hair in there I can tell immediately what it is and can get it out without any issues. The two eyelashes were hiding in the lower lid and while I couldn't see that they weren't growing in the right direction, they were busily irritating my poor eye. This explains, too, why in the morning things were initially more painful, too, as I was not blinking during the night while sleeping, of course, so the eyelid was pressing against the eye without relief. During the examination with her bright light and instruments the ophthalmologist spotted the problem promptly and took care of things.

So yes, I'm very relieved that there was such a simple resolution to this!

Last edited:

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Picked up my 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR. Overall in good shape. Love how the pearl white looks in the sun. Will be dropping it off for Xpel/Ceramic coating soon

. tempImageWdxjuy.pngtempImageyiLKxK.pngtempImageeihHaz.pngtempImage4Nasm6.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I've been lucky then. Mine always start out with a vague soreness which leaves me wondering if I somehow got backhanded in the middle of the night. A couple days later, I'll see the stye form, then all I have to do from there is endure for a week until it goes away.

Actually, I have always found bathing the eye in an eye lotion (I have used Optrex) with witch hazel among the ingredients to be excellent for soothing styes.

Mine usually last less than a week, two or three days - maybe four - at most, but the first day is quite unpleasant.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Picked up my 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR. Overall in good shape. Love how the pearl white looks in the sun. Will be dropping it off for Xpel/Ceramic coating soon

Hey! Glad you joined, I asked Eric to invite you, and to mention me, then I was like, er, maybe Quag thinks I'm a douchebag, then I was hoping you'd think ...

4sbl.gif

:LOL:

And we're RelentlessFucktard free for now :D

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hey! Glad you joined, I asked Eric to invite you, and to mention me, then I was like, er, maybe Quag thinks I'm a douchebag, then I was hoping you'd think ...

View attachment 5960

:LOL:

And we're RelentlessFucktard free for now :D

I was wondering where you been as Car Talk was very very quiet! Nah, you're not a doucher. Only one person I had on my ignore list and certainly wasn't you( wasn't relentless either).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
One thing I discovered a few years ago was that it is much better for my eyes when they need soothing -- dry eyes occasionally -- to use preservative-free eyedrops in a single-dose vial rather than a bottle of something which has preservatives of some sort in it. Definitely makes a difference!

I also have dry eyes from time to time, and often use the single-vial Refresh drops, which I expect I will shortly re-up on as usual, despite knowing they've come under official scrutiny recently in the Senate as how their parent corporation, AbbVie (a spinoff of Abbott Labs in 2013) somehow manages to lose money in the USA while scoring profits overseas.

There are some loopholes in the 2017 Trump tax law that do enable exploitation of incentives to offshore profits Apparently AbbVie has located one of those lines of fine print, since it reported 2020 pretax loss of $4.5B onshore but a foreign pretax profit of $7.9B. Tribute to the sharp-eyed tax lawyers and accountants... and shame on members of both houses of Congress for winking at this kind of stuff constantly being slid into the arcane mess of our tax code. It really won't do any more for them all to shrug and say the bill was so huge and had so many late amendments they just couldn't manage to read it. Peasants with pitchforks will be the remedy for this studied "carelessness" one of these days, unless voters and consumers alike start holding both companies and congress critters to account.

Those eye drops work great but the plastic trash from the single-serve doses is disheartening. And the profit margin has to be huge on those things. By now any research bucks that went into them has been covered and it's all gravy with more aging eyes popping up every year thanks to the boomers providing an expanding market.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
IMG-1871 copy.jpg

In store trading is finally available at an Apple store near me. Began trading in the pile of old Apple products gathering dust.

Halfway to a new iMac if one comes out Sept / Oct that interests me. Also had a little bit more to get the new Apple TV remote.

Evidently the mask mandate is / isn't lifted. So kind of confusing. Had one lady look at me in shock as I put ON my mask to go into Publix.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I also have dry eyes from time to time, and often use the single-vial Refresh drops, which I expect I will shortly re-up on as usual, despite knowing they've come under official scrutiny recently in the Senate as how their parent corporation, AbbVie (a spinoff of Abbott Labs in 2013) somehow manages to lose money in the USA while scoring profits overseas.

There are some loopholes in the 2017 Trump tax law that do enable exploitation of incentives to offshore profits Apparently AbbVie has located one of those lines of fine print, since it reported 2020 pretax loss of $4.5B onshore but a foreign pretax profit of $7.9B. Tribute to the sharp-eyed tax lawyers and accountants... and shame on members of both houses of Congress for winking at this kind of stuff constantly being slid into the arcane mess of our tax code. It really won't do any more for them all to shrug and say the bill was so huge and had so many late amendments they just couldn't manage to read it. Peasants with pitchforks will be the remedy for this studied "carelessness" one of these days, unless voters and consumers alike start holding both companies and congress critters to account.

Those eye drops work great but the plastic trash from the single-serve doses is disheartening. And the profit margin has to be huge on those things. By now any research bucks that went into them has been covered and it's all gravy with more aging eyes popping up every year thanks to the boomers providing an expanding market.
Mine are Systane Ultra in the single-use vials. I really like them but don't use them all the time, just when needed, and boy, have I needed them recently! Yeah, the plastic vials are adding to the already-high number of plastic items that we so casually toss in the trash....and which later fill up landfills and oceans.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was wondering where you been as Car Talk was very very quiet! Nah, you're not a doucher. Only one person I had on my ignore list and certainly wasn't you( wasn't relentless either).

Excellent.

This is a fun place, mostly MR folks (some who wanted another place to hang, a few were banned, or tired of the poor moderation policies, or raging a-holiness from certain users), we can be a little more "loose" here :)

Definitely cross post into the Car Thread here, I'll be interested to hear your take as you're coming from same "general vicinity" of vehicle types as me, and I've had a major change if perspective, so much so, that I am about ready to order a Tesla myself - I had a gradual epiphany, as I converted lawn tools to battery, then the DD/RT replacement wound up being a PHEV (again, see the car thread), and from that experience, plus now having charging capacity in the garage, etc., I'm ready to add a BEV.

U

User.45

View attachment 5962

In store trading is finally available at an Apple store near me. Began trading in the pile of old Apple products gathering dust.

Halfway to a new iMac if one comes out Sept / Oct that interests me. Also had a little bit more to get the new Apple TV remote.

Evidently the mask mandate is / isn't lifted. So kind of confusing. Had one lady look at me in shock as I put ON my mask to go into Publix.
That seems like a big pile of not so old apple products:)

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
For older stuff it seems Apple in store is a bit generous. I traded in an old iPad mini & a 2012 Macbook Air, that Best Buy for instance said they would just take to recycle. The Apple store gave me $60 + $100 respectively, that BB & I think originally Phobos offered $0.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Yeah my idea of an oldie is a 2nd gen ipod nano... w/ no scratches thanks to an iSkin and a battery life of long enough to drive to the store and back while FM-transmitting its tune to the car stereo... think the trade-in on that would be verbal kudos but no giftcard!

Top Bottom
1 2