What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Spent the morning doing some photography at the local lakes. Mostly signets as the swans wouldn't let the geese and their babies get in! Quite funny to watch.

Now having a tea and a rest before lunch. Later it will be the England match. An afternoon walk after that so I can close those rings and keep on target for June. Also need to get some petrol at some point.

One thing I won't be doing is gardening. It's far too hot.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Aren’t you in England? (Maybe i misremembered that?)
Indeed. It’s been a scorcher of a weekend here. 30+ degrees. Definitely not gardening weather for me.
Instead I’ve been watching the Euros a bit of photography and a few light gardening jobs late on.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Decent Brother phoned (and told me that - on foot of my cousin's tweet of two nights ago, he had phoned formidable aunt) and we had a good chat.

Apparently, Formidable Aunt - who was also visited by my favourite cousin (her youngest son) today - shared her thoughts on football, and politics with my brother. And yes: She has strong (and well informed) opinions on both.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Met up with a load on my wife’s family at Folly Farm in Pembrokeshire, Wales today. Boiling hot and not a cloud in the sky. Made sure the kids were covered in sun cream and forgot about myself. Legs are red and sore tonight, ouch.

D

Deleted member 199

1623619121356.jpeg

🤣

30 is definitely not a scorcher around here. It’s only a few degrees below that overnight for probably 11 months of the year.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
It can be a bit confusing when we have people from different countries which use different metrics and measurements talking about it being "scorching" at 30° when they don't specify that they're talking about Celsius! We in the US are shivering when it's 30° Fahrenheit......

D

Deleted member 199

It can be a bit confusing when we have people from different countries which use different metrics and measurements talking about it being "scorching" at 30° when they don't specify that they're talking about Celsius! We in the US are shivering when it's 30° Fahrenheit......

I knew he meant C and was still confused about calling it scorching 😂

To me, once you’re within 2-3° C or about 5° f of regular human body temp it’s hot, and the same range above is getting pretty fucking hot.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Hahaha, yes, if it's °C, then it better be __at__least__ 35° before we start talking about "kinda hot" :D
Up here in the frozen hellscape 35°C would be unbearable. Places are usually not air-conditioned…

Decent Brother phoned (and told me that - on foot of my cousin's tweet of two nights ago, he had phoned formidable aunt) and we had a good chat.
Formidable aunt? Love it!

Met up with a load on my wife’s family at Folly Farm in Pembrokeshire, Wales today. Boiling hot and not a cloud in the sky. Made sure the kids were covered in sun cream and forgot about myself. Legs are red and sore tonight, ouch.
Time to request a name change to The-Red-Deal82?

D

Deleted member 199

Up here in the frozen hellscape 35°C would be unbearable. Places are usually not air-conditioned…
Well presumably you’d be either underwater or washed away in a flood of melting snow, so the a/c probably wouldn’t work anyway.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Formidable aunt? Love it!

Time to request a name change to The-Red-Deal82?

Check my post of three days ago, describing my favourite cousin's tweet of Thursday evening.

Formidable Aunt is a mere 97, and as sharp as a razor: As another one of her sons cheerfully put it to her, some years ago, in my presence, one day when she had called to see my mother, driven and accompanied by the son in question - they (my mother and aunt) had each been widowed during the previous year: - "Listen, you take no prisoners, you've never taken any prisoners, so don't give me this weeping willow, weeping widow act, 'cos I don't believe it."

My mother and my aunt both roared with laughter in response.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A tweet tonight from my favourite cousin (@Apple fanboy knows of him, and of my warm regard for him; one of his two daughters is autistic).

The mother he refers to - sharp as a razor, a woman who would happily terrorise you and would eat you without salt, who retired from her job as a postmistress (which she had held for the best part of half a century) at the ripe young age of 82 (with reluctance) - is my aunt, my father's sister (who adored him, and whose regard he warmly returned - and whose warm relationship with my father - her younger brother - is not entirely unlike my own relationship with my own younger brother, known on these threads as Decent Brother).

"My mother had a visit from her 99 y o first cousin yesterday. "How is she?" I ask. "Well she's really showing her age" says my mother. She's a mere 97."
@Pumbaa: This post.

Today, Formidable Aunt remarked to Decent Brother (when asked about her 99 y o first cousin - Decent Brother reminded me of the individual in question, another lady who would cheerfully eat you without salt, stylish, clever, acerbic, a retired doctor,) "yeah, she's slowing down a bit."

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@Pumbaa: This post.

Today, Formidable Aunt remarked to Decent Brother (when asked about her 99 y o first cousin - Decent Brother remided me of the individual in question, another lady who would cheerfully eat you without salt, stylish, clever, acerbic, a retired doctor,) "yeah, she's slowing down a bit."

Formidable Aunt adores Decent Brother - I think that he reminds her of my father, her adored younger brother, and yes, his character does closely resemble that of my father, they have kindness, generosity, good humour, warmth and wit and genuine decency in common, - and I think that kindess and decency in men is insufficiently acknowledged, appreciated and celebrated - and loves to hear from him; so, of course, he phones her fairly frequently.

For my part, I enjoyed a very good relationship with my father's older brother, whom I phoned weekly for a number of years from after my father's death, his own wife had died mere weeks before then after a long illness - that uncle had been very kind to and very good to - and very supportive of - my mother, especially during my father's illness and after his death - until I had to head abroad a year or so before his own death (and he remained lucid, and sharp) at the age of 92; his children subsequently told me how much he really loved and looked forward to my phone calls, where passionate discussions of politics (without any pretence to objectivity) were a frequent topic of conversation.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Other Brother and my sister-in-law received their second dose of the vaccine this past week (Pfizer); Other Brother was fine; sister-in-law was wrecked and spent a day in bed, but is okay now.

So, both brothers are now fully vaccinated. (Decent Brother received J&J).

That leaves me, still awaiting my second dose of AstraZeneca.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I knew he meant C and was still confused about calling it scorching [emoji23]

To me, once you’re within 2-3° C or about 5° f of regular human body temp it’s hot, and the same range above is getting pretty fucking hot.

If it reaches 30 in the UK that is considered a very hot day and seeing as we are not used to that sort of heat, it’s significant for us. I think part of the issue is very few places have AC too as it rarely gets that hot and only for a handful of days a year. That makes it more unbearable.

D

Deleted member 199

Other Brother
I love that you make it very clear you have a preferred sibling, but still try to be polite about it.

I have no such 'polite' term for my brother. A good friend and I both have adopted the same name for our respective brothers, based on the astonishingly stupid things they do: Bilo, (co-opted from Borat, if that wasn't obvious).

Top Bottom
1 2