What are you doing today?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Glad to see we're back! I had tried getting on here earlier and kept getting error messages.....

So far today I have gone to the grocery store and also have cleaned out my car of the useless junk that seems to accumulate. She definitely needs a good, thorough wash and a vacuuming, regardless of what happens next....so I am getting organized for that. I figured it would be much easier for the people at the car wash to vacuum the back seat area, which is already fairly small anyway, if there weren't a bunch of snow removal tools, windshield aluminum thingy that keeps the sun off in the heat of summer, a fine collection of umbrellas, etc., etc.....! Tomorrow or the next day I'll take her over to the car wash. We really don't have the facilities right here at the condo community to wash our cars, although some people do buy and hang on to hoses for that purpose and are able to hook up to the outside water faucet on each building and wash to their heart's content. I'm not messing with trying to store a hose and deal with all that.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
For me today it's getting on with pantry review to close up any gaps in stuff I don't want to have to re-up on and have delivered during winter... once in awhile the couriers lose all common sense and slog through 18" snow to leave stuff on a front porch that is not in use during winter (and even says "Please Use Other Door" on a chain across the steps).

They ignore completely shoveled, sanded driveways and paths from the driveways to the back porch?! So after a couple experiences having to schlep case-lots of pantry items around from the front with a garden cart fetched back out of the barn from its winter nap, I decided the solution is just to stop ordering for deliveries after about the middle of November.

From then until spring it's Instacart for me, at least those guys always drive right into the main driveway and so to a T right behind the rear porch. Now that the Instacart-welcoming Aldi's in a nearby town has reopened after its renovations during summer, Walmart and Amazon can just wonder what happened to me after mid-November, and so can FedEx and UPS.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yes, I, also received those Error 404 (ad other error) messages.

Glad to see the site is up and running again.

My French class has finished for the night, and I received an email notifying me that I can expect to receive a delivery of coffee tomorrow (sometime).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
What am I doing today? Declining all Zoom meeting requests from Jeffrey Toobin.
How hard is this?

ctm-fbi-director-0917-tape-1125362-640x360.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
At the moment I am doing some copying of files from one external drive to another, as I got rather behind this month in my usual backup / archiving routine. While the one machine is busy with that I'm on the other....

It's another gorgeous day here, so I definitely want to spend some time outdoors this afternoon!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Spitting rain here, something between nasty showers and drizzle; I phoned the library, (having checked my account, it seems that two of the three "in transits" have arrived,) and have been emailing my coffee suppliers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At the moment I am doing some copying of files from one external drive to another, as I got rather behind this month in my usual backup / archiving routine. While the one machine is busy with that I'm on the other....

It's another gorgeous day here, so I definitely want to spend some time outdoors this afternoon!
I'm guessing your photos take up a ton of space? I am on my third 5TB drive over the last year or so.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm guessing your photos take up a ton of space? I am on my third 5TB drive over the last year or so.
Sounds like my husband. He’s also into photography, but the historical kind. I should get him on here for the photography forums.

We went for a walk again first thing this morning. I love this time of year. Cool enough to walk in the morning and still sit outside until almost noon. Then the heat and humidity swoop in.

It’s the time of year for doctors, too. So although I saw my main oncologist last month, today I see the family doctor, tomorrow the GYN, and next month is the annual PETscan and visit to the radiation oncologist.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds like my husband. He’s also into photography, but the historical kind. I should get him on here for the photography forums.

We went for a walk again first thing this morning. I love this time of year. Cool enough to walk in the morning and still sit outside until almost noon. Then the heat and humidity swoop in.

It’s the time of year for doctors, too. So although I saw my main oncologist last month, today I see the family doctor, tomorrow the GYN, and next month is the annual PETscan and visit to the radiation oncologist.
So all is well and it's just routine followup?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Best of luck with the medical visits.

Well, your mother has already joined us,so, why not your husband?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Definitely photos take up a LOT of space! I'm bad about culling, too, so that there is stuff in there which could easily be removed and provide me more space if I just took the time to do it properly..... I have the bad habit of shooting something, then putting the files into the computer to edit, looking through them quickly and then editing ones that catch my attention immediately, with the all-so-well-meaning intention of going back later to cull the file.....and never quite managing to do that! Sometimes I do finally get to it months later, though. A few months ago I bought Photo Mechanic for specifically this purpose and it does help significantly.....when I actually get around to using it!

My general process is once a month do backups of my desktop/documents/ movies/music/pictures files on the internal drive, then I separate out files that don't need to remain on the internal drive, putting them on what I term "supplemental drives." Obviously the ones that take up the most space are my photos. They have their own external drives dedicated specifically to them. It does mean purchasing new external drives fairly often, though! The large (61 MP) files that are generated with the A7R IV really take up space in a hurry. The more current backups and photo files (on an annual basis so we're in 2020 right now) are on external SSDs, and the older photo files are on larger-capacity HDDs as they don't get reviewed that often.

Each month I then take one set of external SSDs to the bank to put into the safe deposit box, bringing home the ones that are in there, and updating those for the swap the following month....well, COVID-19 has sure messed up my routine in that regard, even though I am still doing the backups each month; I've got the current ones here at home, the set ready for the bank and the "master" set that lives here at home, plus the larger-capacity archival drives -- again, one which goes to the bank while the other remains at home. I need to make an appointment at the bank to access my safe deposit box so that I can swap out the drives, but I keep procrastinating about that. I miss just being able to walk into the bank lobby and being taken to the safe deposit area in the vault, doing my thing, and that is that. I keep hoping that the regular routine will return soon but so far, that's not happening.

I actually keep only the finished/edited images on my 1 TB internal drive, shifting the RAW files off there and to an external as soon as I have finished processing any images in which I'm interested, or sometimes before then, with the thought that if I need or want to revisit the RAW files I can do it later, just grab the external SSD.... I duplicate everything so that I have at least three copies of each file and folder. I'm not a fan of putting my personal and potential sensitive files up in the "cloud," especially medical and tax return files, and really prefer to keep them locally on external drives.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Been a while since I've been to the doctor, or dentist, and yes, it is that time of year again.... Also I need to check in with my ophthalmologist, too; back in May I was supposed to have a six-month followup -- the doc is keeping an eye on something going on with my right eye -- and due to the pandemic, their scheduling was all switched around and I couldn't make the rescheduled appointment, so was told that I'd be called if there were a cancellation. Well, that never happened and the summer slipped by.....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Been a while since I've been to the doctor, or dentist, and yes, it is that time of year again.... Also I need to check in with my ophthalmologist, too; back in May I was supposed to have a six-month followup -- the doc is keeping an eye on something going on with my right eye -- and due to the pandemic, their scheduling was all switched around and I couldn't make the rescheduled appointment, so was told that I'd be called if there were a cancellation. Well, that never happened and the summer slipped by.....

Your eyes are important (writes this scribe, who has already deferred two eye tests this year, and I am someone who has faithfully had my eyes tested every two years, as recommended).

Eyeing the barometer, which is plummeting precipitously. And ominously.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, your mother has already joined us,so, why not your husband?
Hopefully she’ll come back. She’s still stuck on Twitter.

First thing the nurse asked today - have I seen the eye doctor. Nope. I haven’t seen anyone. I wouldn’t be seeing you if you would refill me meds without a production!

Top Bottom
1 2