What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Surly not! That would be nearly as bad as running out of tea!

Actually, it would be every bit as bad as running out of tea - if not considerably worse - not least, if Decent Brother (who loves tea, as did my mother, whereas my father, and myself, since childhood, and - but, much more recently, Other Brother - all prefer coffee) thought to turn up unexpectedly.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Don’t order any! It’s vile. My Nan used to buy it, then put it in a better coffee brand jar! I buy Gold blend, but really it’s only for tradesmen that come round. I drink tea, and Mrs AFB can’t drink either so has nettle tea.

I'll take your word for it, thanks. Not expecting gourmet level from a jar of instant but can probably do better than "vile" which remains my recollection of the stuff I did try back in the day.

I’ve tried Kirkland Brand, a Kroger Brand, an HEB brand, of those the Kirkland is the best. There is also a Via Roma Espresso Instant Coffee which is good based on my disreputable taste buds.

Maybe I'll give the Via Roma a shot, thanks... I think I've seen that in a local supermarket. I'd be stirring it into heated milk so an espresso type might work well. Anyway in the meantime I don't really shop for much in winter so I'll be sticking with pour-over or a French press and grinding the beans I had stocked up on before end of November.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A pretty solid, and depending on the exact day, possibly pretty inexpensive option: Starbucks whole bean Verona and Verdana. Verona is a dark roast, a little more chocolate (like a bitter-sweet), less "earthy" than something like Sumatra, Verdana is a lighter, blonde type roast, bright a slight citrus hint. 50/50 blend, fresh grind, awesome.

I've regularly scored the whole bean versions in 18oz for < $10 from Amazon.

lizkat

Reaction score
A pretty solid, and depending on the exact day, possibly pretty inexpensive option: Starbucks whole bean Verona and Verdana. Verona is a dark roast, a little more chocolate (like a bitter-sweet), less "earthy" than something like Sumatra, Verdana is a lighter, blonde type roast, bright a slight citrus hint. 50/50 blend, fresh grind, awesome.

I've regularly scored the whole bean versions in 18oz for < $10 from Amazon.

But see I'm specifically looking for a tolerable instant coffee to keep in the pantry against spacing out and ending up without any coffee beans on hand at all. It happened to me once before --admittedly in the days before Instacart came over the horizon-- when I kept dithering about what I was going to order from a place in Ithaca and then actually ran out while waiting for the by-post delivery.

OK it didn't kill me to have tea for a couple days instead. But I still haven't learned my lesson because I still don't have that jar of poor-substitute-better-than-nothing in the cupboard... and in the wintertime even Instacart may not be an option around here depending on weather.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But see I'm specifically looking for a tolerable instant coffee to keep in the pantry against spacing out and ending up without any coffee beans on hand at all.

Ahh! The Starbucks VIA product is decent, single serve, they have flavored variants, a little splash of some cream really jazzes it up.

lizkat

Reaction score
Ahh! The Starbucks VIA product is decent, single serve, they have flavored variants, a little splash of some cream really jazzes it up.

Now that I know I have seen in the supermarket, just never asked around to see if anyone I knew had ever tried it. Thanks!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, thanks. Not expecting gourmet level from a jar of instant but can probably do better than "vile" which remains my recollection of the stuff I did try back in the day.

Maybe I'll give the Via Roma a shot, thanks... I think I've seen that in a local supermarket. I'd be stirring it into heated milk so an espresso type might work well. Anyway in the meantime I don't really shop for much in winter so I'll be sticking with pour-over or a French press and grinding the beans I had stocked up on before end of November.
For those who argue that "instant" coffee is best because all you have to do is boil the kettle (and "spoon" the coffee into a mug).

Seriously: Boil the kettle (so, step one remains the same).

Granted, in winter, (and yes, because of my latitudes, also spring and autumn), I wait until the kettle has boiled in order that I can use this hot water to heat my mug (cup), otherwise, frankly, I will be sipping, supping and savouring lukewarm coffee).

Anyway, boil (the water in the) kettle.

While awaiting the kettle (and yes, I do recall my mother's saying - always uttered with a smothered chuckle - namely, that "a watched kettle never boils..") to boil, set out one's mug (Le Creuset, in my case), or cup, or cup-and-saucer...

And also, set out one's Hario dripper (copper, ceramic, wood, or plastic - yes, I have all four), fold the (appropriate) filter paper into it, and spoon one's (real, not instant) coffee into the folded filter paper to taste and to one's personal preference. This is easily done while awaiting the kettle to reach boiling point.

Place dripper (complete with folded filter paper and spooned "real" coffee) on top of mug (if one has time, and active brain cells, heat cup/mug first - explained above; if not, well, even lukewarm real coffee is preferable to instant shite).

Pour (almost) boiling water from kettle into (Hario) dripper (complete with folded filter paper and spooned out coffee) and let it seep through the coffee into the mug. Repeat, until you have as much black coffee as you desire. Add milk and sugar to taste.

My point is, the easiest method of (real) coffee preparation does not take any longer than it takes to boil a kettle, and it is still incomparably better than the foul excuse and pathetic pretence for coffee that instant coffee actually is.

Instant coffee is disgusting; I'd rather drink water.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
But see I'm specifically looking for a tolerable instant coffee to keep in the pantry against spacing out and ending up without any coffee beans on hand at all. It happened to me once before --admittedly in the days before Instacart came over the horizon-- when I kept dithering about what I was going to order from a place in Ithaca and then actually ran out while waiting for the by-post delivery.

OK it didn't kill me to have tea for a couple days instead. But I still haven't learned my lesson because I still don't have that jar of poor-substitute-better-than-nothing in the cupboard... and in the wintertime even Instacart may not be an option around here depending on weather.
This is why - nowdays - whenever I see that I may run out over the coming week, I think to place a fresh order for coffee.

lizkat

Reaction score
For those who argue that "instant" coffee is best because all you have to do is boil the kettle (and "spoon" the coffee into a mug).

Seriously: Boil the kettle (so, step one remains the same).

Granted, in winter, (and yes, because of my latitudes, also spring and autumn), I wait until the kettle has boiled in order that I can use this hot water to heat my mug (cup), otherwise, frankly, I will be sipping, supping and savouring lukewarm coffee).

Anyway, boil (the water in the ) kettle.

While awaiting the kettle (and yes, I do recall my mother's - always uttered with a smothered chuckle - saying, namely, that "a watched kettle never boils?") to boil, set out one's mug (Le Creuset, in my case), or cup, or cup-and-saucer...

And also, set out one's Hario dripper (copper, ceramic, wood, or plastic - yes, I have all four), fold the (appropriate) filter paper into it, and spoon one's (real, not instant) coffee into the folded filter paper to taste and to one's personal preference. This is easily done while awaiting the kettle to reach boiling point.

Place dripper (complete with folded filter paper and spooned "real" coffee) on top of mug (if one has time, and active brain cells, heat cup/mug first - explained above; if not, well, even lukewarm real coffee is preferabe to instant shite).

Pour (almost) boiling water from kettle into (Hario) driper (complete with folded filter paper and spooned out coffee) and let it seep thrpugh the coffee into the mug. Repeat, until you have as much black coffee as you desire. Add milk and sugar to taste.

My point is, the easiest method of (real) coffee preparation does not take any longer than it takes to boil a kettle, and it is still incomparably better than the foul excuse and pathetic pretence for coffee that instant coffee actually is.

Instant coffee is disgusting; I'd rather drink water.

Yah I'd never settle for instant if I have coffee beans in the house or have already ground some (which I generally do ahead of time, not when making the morning's brew). My sole reason for wanting some instant on the shelf is for recourse if I ever again space out and don't have enough beans on hand some day.

And yes I pre-heat my coffee mug in the winter time. My kitchen is sometimes cold enough early in the morning in this season that I even put a metal spoon in the cup when I pour that hot water in to warm up the crockery, just so the mug won't crack. I also use one of those little dipping-sauce plates about 3-1/2" wide to set over the mug to keep the coffee warm if my library's still chilly at that hour of day.

Not wishing my life away and I've advertised I prefer cold weather to hot, but I won't mind when this brutal January is over. We haven't had one like this in awhile with these lurches to double digits below zero. The snow today was pretty but I'm glad I wasn't out there shoveling it, since the wind has shifted around from that almost balmy southeast flow to an arctic offering now from the northwest.

The guy came to plow my driveways after all (having said he might not do it until tomorrow, then changing his mind when we got around eight or ten inches of snow), but I really didn't care because I knew that the farthest I'd be going today would be back upstairs under the quilts at bedtime!

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I discovered that Costco has the best tasting instant coffee yet, their Kirkland brand! :D Yes, I still use the French press every so often…but I’ve gotten lazy, very lazy when it comes to preparing my coffee. :unsure:

My boss insisted on a kcups coffee machine for the office and I regularly buy them at Costco too. Many of their coffees are terrific.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
@DT

Any videos about the dance? [emoji2]
You can now use diff keys on almost everyday of the week. First world fun. [emoji2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a good day today.

Enjoying my new Sony Blue-ray player. Like I never seen one...

And finally I have received the external keyboard for my tablet I have been hunting for for ages. I had a special one in mind based on my previous experience (portable, with a stand for the tablet etc.). The problem was that this keyboard has not been in production for years, plus I needed a special localization. I was lucky, found one. Absolutely new, the guy never used it.

Here it is :

View attachment 11109View attachment 11110

And today my training shoes arrived as well. I had to order one as it is too cold in the Dojo barefoot on the tatami. Perfect feet as can be expected of Tokaido.

Here it is:

View attachment 11111

I so missed my German keyboard layouts for years and years but then hit around to using the UK and US layout and have never looked back. The Umlaut key combinations can be learned, it just takes a few days.

Anyway glad you got the interface that works best for you- good keyboards make a lot of difference.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’d say we had about 10 inches Over the course of yesterday…

baa75d1dceca7e7770c2722e8f1b956b.jpg

1a891bdd58dd2203f7f021c8b298db15.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I so missed my German keyboard layouts for years and years but then hit around to using the UK and US layout and have never looked back. The Umlaut key combinations can be learned, it just takes a few days.

Anyway glad you got the interface that works best for you- good keyboards make a lot of difference.

Not just the umlaut, and, agreed, they can be learned.

However, if memory serves, the letter "z" (which is used a lot more in German than it is in either English or French) is to be found in a different (i.e. more convenient) place on a German keyboard.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My boss insisted on a kcups coffee machine for the office and I regularly buy them at Costco too. Many of their coffees are terrific.
I've been drinking the Green Mountain brand for years but ran out once and tried the Costco brand, it was better than I thought it would be.

Top Bottom
1 2