What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, AFB, I can't even imagine! I did not understand what you meant by a break in through a wall. Like you literally wrote what happened, but I could not comprehend it until I saw your photo. How awful. I hope at least no one was hurt.
It was 3am so no staff were there thankfully.
Then to top my day off had a call from my Dad this evening who is just back from a cruise. He’s picked up Covid and feels awful.
Now I need to get to sleep as it will be a 5 am start.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Today I was spared having to commit mayhem in the neighborhood over not having my lawn mowed for 2 weeks straight in mild weather with enough rain almost every day to make a rice paddy smile. The sun was finally out long enough and with a stiff breeze.... so the guy who does keep an eye on the grass could get over here and attack it with all due vigor and the largest of his regular lawn tractors.

In case the threatened "showers possible" end up materializing out of the blue while he's still cutting, he'll have laid waste to a lot of the task with a 48" deck on the mower. Think he has a bigger one still but that only gets used for people crazy enough to have 5 acres of wannabe hay that they feel like paying to call a lawn.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Today is a meeting of the neighborhood ladies’ group. I will be asking what they have against working women as their meetings are always at 10 am on a weekday. Honestly, I could never attend this kind of thing when I was working, and now I go and it’s nothing but grey heads. And then they complain that there are no young people.

For a while, we had a horrible HOA board. They wanted our annual meeting on Friday evenings in the fall. While, we aren't TX, HS Football is still a huge draw for people. And they wondered why they could never get a quorum. :(

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Today I was spared having to commit mayhem in the neighborhood over not having my lawn mowed for 2 weeks straight in mild weather with enough rain almost every day to make a rice paddy smile.

My parents had a great lawn service. Then they sold out to one of their employees who had no idea about scheduling around rain. He assigned people certain days for their lawn to be mowed. If it rained, he would just wait until their day the next week. After it had rained 3 straight weeks on their day, they fired him and he couldn't understand why.......... And they were paying well over $100 per cut and that was 20 years ago. So I had dad buy me a Dixie Chopper and I started mowing it and still do. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Think he has a bigger one [...]

1663283245550.png

OK, my juvenile sense of humor aside ... :D

Wow, that's a *snicker* big one, how large is your property? He'd probably laugh at my puny, battery powered mower with a 19" cut :ROFLMAO: The thing that has changed about my mowing behavior, is I pop out more frequently, and don't worry about how much I cut, like I might do the area between the ditch and the road (that grows twice as fast), or just the back, since there's no issues with gas, smell, starting, I don't mind not doing the whole thing at one time.

lizkat

Reaction score
I used to cut the grass myself with a walk-behind mower but gave that up when I turned 75, thing was always a PITA to get started even with priming it properly, although I didn't really mind the mowing per se.

But this guy has a few different sized tractor mowers,, so he just brings what he figures he can use most easily. My place has PITA areas to mow around, but my other land that adjoins it is much more open, so sometimes he brings two machines to make very short work of that second place.

All told what he mows is probably 3/4 of an acre, most of my several acre total is out back of some stone walls on a gentle rise towards a steep ridge that is behind another set of stone walls and runs into the woods where deer, coyotes and the occasional fisher cat, weasel or bear hangs out.

I just get the meadow area bush hogged every few years to keep the trash trees down and otherwise let it be a little preserve for edge habitat birds, foxes, rabbits, assorted other wildlife (weasels, skunks, possums, frogs, a few species of mostly harmless snakes) and yeah, woodchucks. Well their babies are cute... for awhile. I let them be, since I don't have horses out there that could break a leg stepping in their damn holes, and I know to look out for them on my infrequent forays after greens, grapes, berries or rhubarb.

My sister's father in law who used to own the place next door said the reason for woodchuck holes was to have some place to put all the baseball sized stones that would get heaved up by frost and thaw action over winter out in your veggie garden. :ROFLMAO: He said that during the first summer I had this place. I was sure he was kidding. Then in due course along came spring. The rocks heaved up were a revelation. o_O

I used to mow a strip up into the meadow and then mow a square to make a nice little place for a picnic lunch with pals. We're all more or less fit but still we have grown somewhat fearful of falling on uneven ground now, so those days are pretty much over and the picnics happen right in the backyard proper!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@lizkat

All that mowing talk motivated me to head outside and do the whole yard this morning, weather was almost sort of cool, breeze, overcast. Front, back, ditches, trimmed, my ass was kicked :D

Using this tonight, holy smokes, it's good, has a pumpkin base that you can taste, also nutmeg, cinnamon, cumin, kind of a little bit of a sweet kick in the background while still having a smokey hab flavor, and not too hot (habanero peppers, but very dialed back by the other ingredients ...)

IMG_1930_1920.jpg

Got at HHN the last trip, from the tribute store :)

Also used it on wings last weekend :D

IMG_1928.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
Front, back, ditches, trimmed, my ass was kicked :D

I used to kinda-sorta flirt with death in trying to avoid having to fetch out a rather unwieldy ol' weed-whacker just to cut grass near the ditches, when nothing else seemed to require trimming yet. So I'd use the walk-behind mower and pull it back and forth along ditch edges, trusting that my arms were still strong enough to keep from getting sucked halfway to China if I misjudged a safe limit.

One year they came around and dug the ditches way deeper than before (climate change or not, we get more torrential rains nowadays). I took a look at the depth of those cutouts when I went for the mail and promptly got in the car to go buy a newer and lighter-weight weed whacker!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So I'd use the walk-behind mower and pull it back and forth along ditch edges, trusting that my arms were still strong enough to keep from getting sucked halfway to China if I misjudged a safe limit.

That is exactly my technique, I kind of hold it out and away and drag it, I get at least a foot or two further into the ditch than I could pushing it. :D

And it's raining pretty hard, glad I got that mow in, we can just lock down all weekend if the weather craps out.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Trek bikes had a challenge in august if you rode 100 miles 500 miles or 1000 miles. almost got the 1000 missed it by 40 miles. but thats the best I have done ever and was pretty hard. the 1000 gave you another bottle but also entered to win a custom bike. they did have scratch offs in the bottles to win something.
IMG_0726.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the new Covid booster yesterday. This makes jab #5. Never a problem with the first 4 (all Pfizer), but last night I was up with chills all night. Couldn’t get warm even with a heavy blanket and two cats. This morning my temp is slightly elevated, but otherwise all is good.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got the new Covid booster yesterday. This makes jab #5. Never a problem with the first 4 (all Pfizer), but last night I was up with chills all night. Couldn’t get warm even with a heavy blanket and two cats. This morning my temp is slightly elevated, but otherwise all is good.
Sorry to hear that but glad it was short lived. Glad to part of the 5x club myself, I've been hammered before by the boosters but was mostly spared this time around. Going in for the flu jab next week as well.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Been at our annual photo exhibition the last three days. Today we are off with the back holiday. Going to cost our company £1,000’s.
Then back to it Tuesday for the last day.
Today I’ll probably spend most of the day outside avoiding Mrs AFB as I don’t want to pass anything on to her I might have picked up. Probably just work in the evening.

Top Bottom
1 2