What are you doing today?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I was supposed to be going to the optometrist today. But since I’m always early for everything I went yesterday. 🙄 They were very nice and got me in anyway. The optometrist told me I would not be needing a new prescription because I needed cataract surgery. I’m probably one of the few people in the world that are thrilled to get that news. No more glasses! Can’t wait.

We also (finally) got a contract on our old house. So with any luck we’ll have a closing date soon and will be able to get rid of power, water, and insurance payments. Woot!

I've got cataracts in both eyes and am looking at cataract surgery in the next year or so....and am already terrified. I've had other surgeries in my life and, well, this is just different, a procedure directly working on my eyes and subsequently affecting my vision. So, yeah, if you're happy about needing this kind of thing, more power to you, but I daresay you are more than likely one of the few people who are pleased about it. Have you already had a consultation with an ophthalmologist about everything? Is the surgery coming up fairly soon for you?

Congratulations on the contract on the old house -- that'll be a relief to be back to dealing with just one house and all the usual expenses again!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got cataracts in both eyes and am looking at cataract surgery in the next year or so....and am already terrified. I've had other surgeries in my life and, well, this is just different, a procedure directly working on my eyes and subsequently affecting my vision. So, yeah, if you're happy about needing this kind of thing, more power to you, but I daresay you are more than likely one of the few people who are pleased about it. Have you already had a consultation with an ophthalmologist about everything? Is the surgery coming up fairly soon for you?
I have the consultation on 30 November. Same surgeon who did my optometrist’s husband’s cataracts. I’ve had them coming in for at least 5 years, so every year when I’ve gone for my annual eye appointment we have a lengthy discussion about how far the surgery has come. When I posted about it on Facebook, I had a number of friends who said they’d had theirs done (some ten years ago!) and it was the easiest procedure they’d ever had, with no downtime. So, yes, I’m looking forward to the little things, like seeing the difference between the shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower and seeing the time on my illuminated bedroom clock (which currently looks like a big red blob).

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! Yes, I've heard that, too, from friends, that it is an "easy procedure" but even so, it's, well....it's my EYES! My VISION!

I hear you on looking forward to better vision and maybe not having to wear glasses any more, all the good things..... That IS something significant!

Keep us posted on everything!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Congratulations on the contract on the old house -- that'll be a relief to be back to dealing with just one house and all the usual expenses again!

Oh I was thrilled when told my cataracts had become "ripe" for surgery. I remain thrilled to this day at the difference it made. For me it helped that I had a lot of very positive word-of-mouth recommendations from locals who were patients of the same ophthalmologist. She was upfront about risks, no particular ones that applied to my own situation, and very attentive in follow up care. Wish you the best also!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cooking dinner.

F3428C11-10E3-4970-B7A8-C89D412B108D.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
Today looks like I'm falling off the summer salad crew... a box of tricolor rotini has materialized from the pantry cupboard and some of that is going to land in hot water here pretty soon lol. Just a simple marinara sauce and some freshly grated pecorino romano. Sigh. Well better at lunch than supper, maybe I can walk a few calories off doing some chores.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have the consultation on 30 November. Same surgeon who did my optometrist’s husband’s cataracts. I’ve had them coming in for at least 5 years, so every year when I’ve gone for my annual eye appointment we have a lengthy discussion about how far the surgery has come. When I posted about it on Facebook, I had a number of friends who said they’d had theirs done (some ten years ago!) and it was the easiest procedure they’d ever had, with no downtime. So, yes, I’m looking forward to the little things, like seeing the difference between the shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower and seeing the time on my illuminated bedroom clock (which currently looks like a big red blob).
Thanks! Yes, I've heard that, too, from friends, that it is an "easy procedure" but even so, it's, well....it's my EYES! My VISION!

I hear you on looking forward to better vision and maybe not having to wear glasses any more, all the good things..... That IS something significant!

Early onset cataract survivor here.

When I was 45 I started having trouble seeing my computer. This was in August and I was due for my annual optometrist visit in October, so I went ahead and scheduled it early. I had been wearing glasses since age 8 and contacts since age 13. And my eyes were BAD. Waived bye-bye to the big E on the chart in my teens.

So I go my appointment and describe what I am seeing, or not in this case. So he dilates me and pulls out his magnifier. Looks for a minute or two in each eye and sits back and tells me I have cataracts. He seemed a bit surprised given my age. But they are not the normal age related ones that tend to grow in from the sides. Those are slow growers and as @Lizcat described, they need to be "Ripe". Mine on the other hand formed bands right in the center of my lens.

Talking to my parents, I learned my uncle also had early onset cataracts and had to have the surgery when before he was 50. Of course, that was 50 years ago and things have improved quite a bit since then. I always remember him wearing "coke bottle" glasses.

So I went to a consultation with the Ophthalmologist my Dr. recommended. He went over the procedure and what to expect. When we were discussing the implants, we talked about several options including distance only, mono-vision and multi-focal. It was a lot to process. My parents wanted me to get a second opinion from the Dr. that did both theirs, so I did. He immediately tried to talk me out of even considering multi-focal implants as he said it was like looking through wax paper and every thing kind of sparkles. My impression of him was that he was and old guy who did things the same way they did when he got out of school and didn't like change.

So I kept researching and reading testimonials from people who had gotten multi-focals. The more I read, the more I was convinced that was the way I wanted to go. To make the story shorter, I came up with a plan and when I presented it to my Dr., he thought about it for a bit and while he had never had anyone do what I wanted to do, he saw no issue with it.

What I decided on was two different types of implants. One was the older tech that had 5 focal zones. This was going in my left, dominant eye. It was better for distance. In my right eye, I went with the newer tech that had too many focal zones to count, but a lot. This lens was better for near vision.

By the time we had decided and I had been out of contacts for a month, we did my right eye. One of the side effects of these MF's was you would see halos around lights. Your brain would eventually ignore them, but it could take a year. Well, that first night after my surgery, I had halos. Big ones. Seems the nurse overdid the dilation drops, so I was still so dilated that light was reflecting off the outside of the implant as well. I looked like a mad cat for 3 days she had used so much. But once my pupils returned to normal, it was much better. Did my left eye a week later and explained to a new nurse what happened so she took it slow. Put in a drop and waited. Two drops was all I needed. :)

I had almost no pain and he even did some Limbal relaxing incisions to try and correct some astigmatism. One eye took, the other didn't. Worst part was one of the post-op drops felt almost like a shock to the eye. Hated those. Plus I hated the eye patch I had to wear at night that I would take if off in my sleep and set it on the nightstand. :oops:

So now 11 years out, it was the best decision I have ever made for my health. I was seeing better than I ever remember seeing and no more contacts. It did take about 6 months for most of the halo's to go away and I no longer notice them. I never felt like I was looking through wax paper, but for a while lights did look to have a crystalline effect. The first Christmas I couldn't look at a lit tree.

Today, the only issue I have is driving at night in the rain. You brain programs itself as to which focal point to use. So if something is far away, it uses one, near it uses the other. But at an intersection at night in the rain, you have rain drops lit by light of coming cars on the side window, so your brain thinks that is what you want to see. So you have to conscientiously look past them. Other than that, no issue. My two eye distance vision is 20/20, my 2=eye close is 20/40 arm's length is about 20/60. I need cheaters to comfortable using a computer, but can find the sweet spot on my phone.

No need to be afraid, but I do understand. I was leery of RK and Lasik so I never got them. Glad I didn't. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Thank you! My cataracts are the type which develop with the aging process, and since I'm getting up there now (78 on my next birthday), it's not surprising. I have astigmatism, too, so that would be very nice if they could correct that along the way.... I know one reason that I'm so concerned about having surgery on my eyes is that I am hearing-impaired, so I tend to depend upon my sight probably much more than those with normal hearing do. The idea of any possibility of losing vision in one or both eyes really unnerves me. I have time, yet, though..... My next regularly scheduled eye exam appointment with my ophthalmologist will probably include some discussion of moving forward with the procedure.

lizkat

Reaction score
Shana tova! I went from being Orthodox to a culinary observer.

Hah, I just got an email from a friend in that boat, every year she sends a link to a great kosher deli in Long Island after I send her an e-card for Rosh Hashanah... "My temptations still stop short of a return to the synagogue, but this darn place always gets me."

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My Apple Watch Ultra is supposed to arrive today, so I imagine I’ll be playing with it. Beyond that I’ll be drinking clear liquids to prepare for my colonoscopy tomorrow. Yippee.

Yes! The wife's S8 is like 8 blocks away on a UPS truck, watching it on the map ... :D

It's the first cell Watch we've had, I don't even have anything sorted out with the cell plan yet, hahaha, assuming it's a couple of clicks on the Verizon site :)

Update :D

1664903148010.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2