What are you doing today?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
On my mind today, thinking about rolling the dice soon on a winter time delivery of a few staples from Walmart. When doing my pantry check last summer and making some re-ups, I mistook as a case of white beans a box that was actually a repacked box with half a case of water chestnuts and half a case of India relish... and a hand printed label on only one side.

Duh. Well I do have plenty dried white beans and usually choose those and just cook them ahead, so not having many canned ones left is not a big problem. However, there are a few other possibly half-baked labeling jobs I need to check too, now that I realize I wasn't always diligent about marking things.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Back from some beer shopping and bill paying.

Also, ordered (and paid for) some bread for tomorrow.

Dreary, depressing, dark and overcast skies out, but nice to get in a brief walk.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Had a very pleasant chat with Decent Brother for around 40 minutes or so; he told me that he is already in his dressing gown and pyjamas and plans - after a beer and some music - to head to bed.

Well, it is deepest, darkest, dreariest January, and he is not going anywhere else.

However, it does remind me of the time when he was about six years old, when y father would tell him to head upstairs, change into his pyjamas, and return downstairs, attired in pyjamas and dressing gown to say his goodnights to everyone before retiring, properly and finally, for the night.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Went out to the library and picked up my two books which were being held on reserve/hold for me.....Curbside service works fine, but it is still a different experience from being able to just walk into the branch, pick up my own holds and browse the "new books" shelves for other reading matter. Ah, well, it's for everyone's safety during this pandemic, which is still raging full-force in my area. So for the moment, I'm set with the two newest books plus the other five which I already have here at home for my reading pleasure.....

After returning home I started playing around with the camera and the feathery gift left for me yesterday by one of my feathered friends, and that took longer than expected, as I spent an hour or so trying out different approaches, switched lenses, etc.,.....and then in the editing phase spent more time as I experimented with different "looks" and decided to convert several of the images to B&W for more impact. Ran into some frustration with the app that I often use for finishing touches, which kept crashing on me, but thankfully found a solution to that after rebooting a couple of times to no avail and then finally running a Google search and trying a suggestion offered there on a site, all is back to normal there now. :)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A small crate of beer has been delivered, (along with a big box of crisps,"chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins).

Am debating ordering some coffee, as I noticed that I may run the risk of running out by the middle of next week.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Went out to the library and picked up my two books which were being held on reserve/hold for me.....Curbside service works fine, but it is still a different experience from being able to just walk into the branch, pick up my own holds and browse the "new books" shelves for other reading matter. Ah, well, it's for everyone's safety during this pandemic, which is still raging full-force in my area. So for the moment, I'm set with the two newest books plus the other five which I already have here at home for my reading pleasure.....

After returning home I started playing around with the camera and the feathery gift left for me yesterday by one of my feathered friends, and that took longer than expected, as I spent an hour or so trying out different approaches, switched lenses, etc.,.....and then in the editing phase spent more time as I experimented with different "looks" and decided to convert several of the images to B&W for more impact. Ran into some frustration with the app that I often use for finishing touches, which kept crashing on me, but thankfully found a solution to that after rebooting a couple of times to no avail and then finally running a Google search and trying a suggestion offered there on a site, all is back to normal there now. :)
One thing that has been stellar during this Covid lockdown has been our local library service.

Sure, we can't go and browse, but the online catalogue is functioning and we can reserve and pick up. I love the way we can reserve books from the whole of the South West England's libraries.
Then also the Audiobooks (who have their place in my world) and eBooks… What would we do without our books? I'd be lost…

Music and books.

"When I get a little money, I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes."
Erasmus

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
One thing that has been stellar during this Covid lockdown has been our local library service.

Sure, we can't go and browse, but the online catalogue is functioning and we can reserve and pick up. I love the way we can reserve books from the whole of the South West England's libraries.
Then also the Audiobooks (who have their place in my world) and eBooks… What would we do without our books? I'd be lost…

Music and books.

"When I get a little money, I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes."
Erasmus

Erasmus has the right of it:

Music and books.

Wine, beer and coffee.

And then, everything else.

Anyway, I have just placed an order for some coffee; the thought of running out is not to be entertained, let alone contemplated.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Not long back from a brief walk, and I also took the opportunity to pick up some multi-seed rye bread I had ordered (and paid for) yesterday, in a local bakery.

Coffee ordered - as I belatedly realised this morning that I run the risk of running out of coffee by mid week (quelle horreur) - and some beer was delivered earlier.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Enjoyed a second brief walk, and picked up my week-end edition of the FT, some mineral water, and some chocolate biscuits (this is the time of the year I find myself partial to chocolate biscuits).

Now, dinner (my own version of egg fried rice, on a sort of Chinese theme), has been prepared, served, devoured, and washing up has been done.

Now, to contemplate a beer. Or two.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Took a few shots of the geese, who were swimming very near the deck, and now have decided I'm in the mood to do laundry, so the washing machine is busily sloshing around water and suds, making my first load all fresh and clean again.....

In a little while will walk up to the mail kiosk as I never collected yesterday's mail and today's will be in there now as well.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am going to get a haircut. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but after spending several years bald as a billiard ball, I've worked hard to get the hair I've got. It's finally filled in, so I don't have to keep it long and tied back to hide the bald spots, so this afternoon I'm going to get a few inches chopped off, and then we'll see where it goes from there.

This evening I'm getting all the final details on comps, and y'all won't (shouldn't!) see much of me next week.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Received my coffee (and it was delivered exactly when the courier had said), did a wash, stared out the window at the lashing rain, and am now sipping a beer.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We cleaned out one of the extra bedrooms. JFC, it's amazing the amount of __stuff__ you accumulate, and that's after we've already had a few rounds of purging.

We're really trying to reduce our geegaw, doodads, trinkets, old clothes (or no longer / ever worn clothes), the DD is loaded up with goodies for Goodwill :)

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
We cleaned out one of the extra bedrooms. JFC, it's amazing the amount of __stuff__ you accumulate, and that's after we've already had a few rounds of purging.

We're really trying to reduce our geegaw, doodads, trinkets, old clothes (or no longer / ever worn clothes), the DD is loaded up with goodies for Goodwill :)
I live in basically three outfits. By the time the third is ready to go in the wash, Mrs AFB has cleaned the first and its back on the top of the pile. So guess which one I wear? The one on top of the pile!

Top Bottom
1 2