What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Hamilton.

A friend very kindly arranged for me to "piggyback" on his (brief subscription to Disney Plus) so that I could watch it.

The problem is - as (unlike, say, the Civil War era, or 20th century history, where I do know a bit about the material), I keep pausing the movie, to chase down rabbit holes of history to confirm stuff, or to find out more about, certain specific stuff (okay, wikipedia, but Ron Chernow's biography of Hamilton is beside my bed, waiting to be read).

Thus, - and the musical Hamilton is brilliant, absolutely brilliant, - seriously brilliant - but incredibly intense, there is a lot to learn and unpack and think about and mull over - I am a lot less far in the musical than you would think, given that I started watching it hours and hours ago.

So, I shall also be watching Hamilton tomorrow.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
my wife went in for her eye check the day after. doc says it looks heart and her body is absorbing the crispr goop fast. they also did eye tests even though her eyesight wont be back to normal for a couple of weeks. they wanted to do this tear test and she said nope cant imagine how bad that would feel on new eye sutures.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
A very frosty Saturday morning. After a cross trainer session and my morning cereal, I went for a three mike walk. Had a chat with my dad. But he was in the middle of some electrical work and had the electric off, so didn't chat for long.
The lanes were slippery in places. Nearly went down a couple of times. But where the sun had hit the tarmac it was fine.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A very frosty Saturday morning. After a cross trainer session and my morning cereal, I went for a three mike walk. Had a chat with my dad. But he was in the middle of some electrical work and had the electric off, so didn't chat for long.
The lanes were slippery in places. Nearly went down a couple of times. But where the sun had hit the tarmac it was fine.

Yes, where the sun has been out, it's fine, but in the shadows, not nice at all.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Putting our personalised plates onto the new car after finally getting the paperwork through. A couple of shelves to go up in the kids rooms too. Hopefully get a walk in this afternoon in the current snow blizzard.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hamilton.

A friend very kindly arranged for me to "piggyback" on his (brief subscription to Disney Plus) so that I could watch it.

The problem is - as (unlike, say, the Civil War era, or 20th century history, where I do know a bit about the material), I keep pausing the movie, to chase down rabbit holes of history to confirm stuff, or to find out more about, certain specific stuff (okay, wikipedia, but Ron Chernow's biography of Hamilton is beside my bed, waiting to be read).

Thus, - and the musical Hamilton is brilliant, absolutely brilliant, - seriously brilliant - but incredibly intense, there is a lot to learn and unpack and think about and mull over - I am a lot less far in the musical than you would think, given that I started watching it hours and hours ago.

So, I shall also be watching Hamilton tomorrow.

It's fantastic, it even exceeded our pretty lofty expectations when we finally saw it (even the 20th time we watched it :D). We've attended a decent amount of live theater, mostly in NYC, the wife has seen a substantial amount (talking into the 100s of shows, lots of first run/original casts like Les Mis), and she was floored.

T (our daughter) had been listening to the original cast recording for months prior, walking around the house singing the songs all day, hahaha, I already kind of had the whole show in my head :D

Of course, it's brilliant in the casting, POC playing the very caucasian founding fathers, the mix of broadway styles, hip-hop, spoken word, and for the love of god, there's a couple of songs that always get to me, and I mean, I just love this idea:

Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

It's interesting, we've seen some live theater and the combination of seating, sound, position, and sometimes, spectacle you can't get your head around, the daze of being in a city like NY, you miss so much on a single viewing. This let's you see everything, take in every moment - the camera work is outstanding - and of course, re-watch a scene again and again to pick up on all the little nuances of character, music.

One thing that's pretty incredible there are scenes in Act I that are replayed, backwards in tone, and actual physical staging in Act II, that would be extremely tricky to see live. FWIW, the film is actually more than one performance, seamlessly edited (though if you watch carefully, you might see a few tiny continuity blips, like a disappearing flower on a dress :)).

Also, the spectacularly fun performance from Jonathan Groff as King George, was a special return for the actor, who had left already, but the current KG actor said, please, get Jonathan back, he originated the role here in the states.

Enjoy!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It's fantastic, it even exceeded our pretty lofty expectations when we finally saw it (even the 20th time we watched it :D). We've attended a decent amount of live theater, mostly in NYC, the wife has seen a substantial amount (talking into the 100s of shows, lots of first run/original casts like Les Mis), and she was floored.

T (our daughter) had been listening to the original cast recording for months prior, walking around the house singing the songs all day, hahaha, I already kind of had the whole show in my head :D

Of course, it's brilliant in the casting, POC playing the very caucasian founding fathers, the mix of broadway styles, hip-hop, spoken word, and for the love of god, there's a couple of songs that always get to me, and I mean, I just love this idea:

Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

It's interesting, we've seen some live theater and the combination of seating, sound, position, and sometimes, spectacle you can't get your head around, the daze of being in a city like NY, you miss so much on a single viewing. This let's you see everything, take in every moment - the camera work is outstanding - and of course, re-watch a scene again and again to pick up on all the little nuances of character, music.

One thing that's pretty incredible there are scenes in Act I that are replayed, backwards in tone, and actual physical staging in Act II, that would be extremely tricky to see live. FWIW, the film is actually more than one performance, seamlessly edited (though if you watch carefully, you might see a few tiny continuity blips, like a disappearing flower on a dress :)).

Also, the spectacularly fun performance from Jonathan Groff as King George, was a special return for the actor, who had left already, but the current KG actor said, please, get Jonathan back, he originated the role here in the states.

Enjoy!

Yes, it's brilliant.

Agree that it will be worth (compulsively) re-watching, and agree that King George - that mincing walk, those lyrics, - was absolutely fantastic.

I've read that it was filmed (or shot) over three days (which makes total sense), thus, small erros of continuity are entirely understandable.

This evening shall be devoted to Hamilton, also.

Wash was put on, and machine emptied.

Some beer was delivered, and I managed to trot to the local shop for my week-end edition of the FT, plus some sparkling mineral water, and some organic and tasty bitter three fruit marmalade.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is some relief.

Though, I prefer wind to snow.

Agreed, fervently, heartily, passionately.
Snow is due tonight. Not good for those people already facing flooding down the road from me.
Currently watching West Ham in the FA cup. I don’t get to see too many live games so makes a nice change.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Snow is due tonight. Not good for those people already facing flooding down the road from me.
Currently watching West Ham in the FA cup. I don’t get to see too many live games so makes a nice change.

Yes, I also bought bog standard salt, for the drive and the footpath.

It has clouded over, dark, leaden charcoal skies, and looks very threatening.

Oh, well, book, beer - actually, Hamilton, the movie - tonight.

And, I have taken some (organic) chicken thighs from te freezer - I'll do some relaxed cooking tomorrow afternoon, and wil hold off reading my FT until tomorrow, with a coffee, when I can pretend that I am enjoying myself in some sort of café, while reading the weekend papers.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, I also bought bog standard salt, for the drive and the footpath.

It has clouded over, dark, leaden charcoal skies, and looks very threatening.

Oh, well, book, beer - actually, Hamilton, the movie - tonight.

And, I have taken some (organic) chicken thighs from te freezer - I'll do some relaxed cooking tomorrow afternoon, and wil hold off reading my FT until tomorrow, with a coffee, when I can pretend that I am enjoying myself in some sort of café, while reading the weekend papers.
A cafe or bar? Distant memories. Not counting my solo visits to the hotel restaurant through work in November and December I’ll admit it’s been a while!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A cafe or bar? Distant memories. Not counting my solo visits to the hotel restaurant through work in November and December I’ll admit it’s been a while!

Yes, distant memories indeed - securely stored in my memory bank, and - these days - retrieved for occasional mental (because one cannot do physical) visits.

Simple pleasures, but thoroughly enjoyed, for all that.

Well, tomorrow, I'll spread out the FT on the kitchen table (complete with French, cotton, checkered, table cloth), and enjoy a pot of coffee, while reading it.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, distant memories indeed - securely stored in my memory bank, and - these days - retrieved for occasional mental (because one cannot do physical) visits.

Simple pleasures, but thoroughly enjoyed, for all that.

Well, tomorrow, I'll spread out the FT on the kitchen table (complete with French, cotton, checkered, table cloth), and enjoy a pot of coffee, while reading it.
Well enjoy your coffee. If only you had some nice fruit tart to accompany.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Well enjoy your coffee. If only you had some nice fruit tart to accompany.

Ouch.

Yes, agreed.

Notwithstanding that, these days, I ration my trips to the city - a mere twenty five (brisk) minutes away on foot, perhaps ten, twelve to fifteen by bus - but, I haven't been since the week before Christmas, a month ago.

However, next week, I shall pay a visit to the farmers' market, - citrus fruit, eggs, and vegetables are on my list - and also visit the French bakery, and - well, this is the time of year when it is most enjoyed and appreciated - perhaps, also treat myself to a nice French fruit tart, as well.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Sipping an afternoon coffee. (El Salvador with organic hot milk).

Spent the morning in bed, reading Hamilton (a big, fat, inviting biography).

Now, I shall spent some more time watching Hamilton (adjectives almost fail me, but, brilliant, fantastic, awesome, and superb all readily come to mind).

Top Bottom
1 2