What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Mmmmm.....Lemon Cake! Last time I was at the store I looked for Lemon Bars -- their bakery produces pretty good ones -- but unfortunately none on offer. Lots of chocolate stuff, though, more than usual, and I recalled that they were probably preparing for Valentine's Day, and chocolate is the traditional treat then. Maybe next time I get to the store my Lemon Bars will be back again! If not, I'll inquire at the bakery counter.

Chilly and nasty here again today, as expected. Sigh......

Yes, lemon cake sounds lovely.

Just enjoyed a little piece of chocolate cake (something I rarely, eat) with a piping hot mug of tea. A winter treat.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
On the subject matter of lemons, I'm pretty much out of them.

Today, I bought two (fairly tasteless, and devoid of that wonderful aroma) lemons in a local store; I shall try to get to the farmers' market next week, and, on my shopping list, will be some organic lemons.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Busy day. Where I usually spend my time sitting around the house, I first had a doctors appointment, then did my normal grocery pickup, and when I got home the beautiful woman who also lives here informed me that the oven door wouldn’t close.

So I looked at it and sure enough, a hinge is broken and the range is ancient anyway. So after some quick research it’s back to the car to go appliance shopping.

We went from “We need to replace this” to “We bought one” in about two hours.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Mmmmm.....Lemon Cake! Last time I was at the store I looked for Lemon Bars -- their bakery produces pretty good ones -- but unfortunately none on offer. Lots of chocolate stuff, though, more than usual, and I recalled that they were probably preparing for Valentine's Day, and chocolate is the traditional treat then. Maybe next time I get to the store my Lemon Bars will be back again! If not, I'll inquire at the bakery counter.

Chilly and nasty here again today, as expected. Sigh......
I’d like any cake right now! But I’ve already had my treat today. Good luck with the lemon bar hunt.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I can't be without lemons. I use them for everything. Tea, cooking, cleaning, you name it. Love when my neighbor shares a bag of her homegrown. Nothing tastes as good as those. Especially for a lemon meringue pie!
Likewise.

I love lemons, their scent, their appearance, their flavour, in cakes, cooking, salads.....even in sparkling mineral water.
I’d like any cake right now! But I’ve already had my treat today. Good luck with the lemon bar hunt.
Hope you enjoyed your fish and chips.
My mum used to make a lovely lemon meringue pie.

And mine used to make an absolutely wonderful apple crumble, with grated lemon rind - and brown sugar - into the toasted crumbs of the crumble.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Curse you, now.
A slice of chocolate cake
Curse you now. Over the past few months, I have twice been seduced by a tiramisu at the grocery store. A whole one is about $14 (£10?) but will last me at least ten days, Silting in the fridge in the garage where I am not forced to look at it constantly. Now I want another one, but it will have to wait until we are no longer snowbound (only about 4" is enough to fully shackle four counties around here).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Curse you, now.
Curse you now. Over the past few months, I have twice been seduced by a tiramisu at the grocery store. A whole one is about $14 (£10?) but will last me at least ten days, Silting in the fridge in the garage where I am not forced to look at it constantly. Now I want another one, but it will have to wait until we are no longer snowbound (only about 4" is enough to fully shackle four counties around here).

A whole chocolate cake is entirely beyond me, but, when I colected my bread lat this afternoon, the bakery had one of their chocolate cakes open (they called it a "bumble-bee cake"), and were offering it for sale by the slice; and yes, - a filthy February day, cold, wet, overcast, dreary, dark, depressing.......and I thought, yes.

A slice of chocolate cake; yum. Very tasty with tea (or coffee).I also purchased a passion fruit, mango and blackcurrant cassis slice.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is right across from my shop. I guess this part has not been used in awhile it has not been maintained. and ice got it.
60288394926b1.image.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
First, hoping for some keep-the-VRBOers-in-the-house major storms, mwahahaha! :D

We're doing a little Valentine's Day fun today, everybody got a few gifts for an exchange, the little G is making some cupcakes (she's extra excited for whatever reason :D), and a 13lb turkey we had frozen (it got replaced with a 20lb fresh one back at Thanksgiving) has been thawed and we're doing a big dinner with the "turkey usuals", stuffing, mashed potatoes (wife's deliciously famous), gravy, etc.

For super bowl we got this neat little 1.5Q crock pot, which is great for making dips and keeping them hot, and we're doing a homemade queso dip (cheese soup, pepper jack, cheddar and some cream cheese), with a nice side of onions, jalapenos, tomatoes.

I'm doing a row and weights thing a little later, wife doing a ride and yoga, then dip, beer and some movies :)

Right now, I'm actually writing some code, a little test to confirm some operation, drinking some *delicious* coffee.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Busy day. Where I usually spend my time sitting around the house, I first had a doctors appointment, then did my normal grocery pickup, and when I got home the beautiful woman who also lives here informed me that the oven door wouldn’t close.

So I looked at it and sure enough, a hinge is broken and the range is ancient anyway. So after some quick research it’s back to the car to go appliance shopping.

We went from “We need to replace this” to “We bought one” in about two hours.

I do one grocery run about every 7-10 days (, morning, in and out in < 30 minutes, mask on, usually not crowded, and while we've always supplemented with a few dry goods from Amazon, we've also started to get a goodly amount of our meat/fish from Omaha (ground sirloin, turkey, still from the grocery). We just placed an order, it has to be a months worth of steaks, fish, other seafood, so nice, it's always outstanding, it reduces my time in the grocery store and with an extra freezer, we can easily store it.

If you ever need some appliance parts, this place is excellent:

I've ordered a few parts, they come quickly, they're easy to ID using their site, they're also good about returns. I've fixed a couple of not-inexpensive appliances for super cheap with a little sensible debugging and a < $20 part :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have to go to the store for more bird seed. I swear they eat more than we do. Around here it’s never “honey, we’re out of milk we need to go to the store” it’s always “honey, we’re out of bird seed again.” And it’s not like we just buy a single bag each time. And the peanuts! My goodness!

But I think we’ll do double duty today cause I’d like to visit Whole Foods (we don’t have Trader Joe’s here).

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
If you ever need some appliance parts, this place is excellent:

I've ordered a few parts, they come quickly, they're easy to ID using their site, they're also good about returns. I've fixed a couple of not-inexpensive appliances for super cheap with a little sensible debugging and a < $20 part :)
That's good to know. Thanks!

This range was at least two decades old, though. The bottom drawer would sometimes come off its track, the inner (center) part of the dual burner didn't work anymore, and the door hinge was the last straw. It served us well...including helping heat our downstairs a few winters ago when the furnace went out.

Another thing from yesterday...my grocery order was supposed to include flowers for my wife for Valentine's Day. Either I screwed up the order (quite possible) or they did (also possible), so in the evening I went back to get her some.

Tonight, in keeping with Covid safety, in lieu of a restaurant dinner I'm thinking I'll order us something nice from a local restaurant, put on our best tablecloth, get out the fine china, light a candle or two and make it special right at home.

(Takeout food--even good stuff--on fine china seems a bit silly, but hey, these are not normal times.)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, yeah.....Valentine's Day. Forgot all about that! LOL! No celebration, special meal or flowers for me...... Well, around here not too many people will be going anywhere unless they really, really need to do so, as first they'll have to get the ice off their vehicle before they can hit the road. The temperature this afternoon is supposed to rise enough to get the thawing process well underway, so that should help, and already the roads look just wet, rather than icy and slippery, although there may be some spots here-and-there. I'm not going out there to find out for myself!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That's good to know. Thanks!

This range was at least two decades old, though. The bottom drawer would sometimes come off its track, the inner (center) part of the dual burner didn't work anymore, and the door hinge was the last straw. It served us well...including helping heat our downstairs a few winters ago when the furnace went out.

Another thing from yesterday...my grocery order was supposed to include flowers for my wife for Valentine's Day. Either I screwed up the order (quite possible) or they did (also possible), so in the evening I went back to get her some.

Tonight, in keeping with Covid safety, in lieu of a restaurant dinner I'm thinking I'll order us something nice from a local restaurant, put on our best tablecloth, get out the fine china, light a candle or two and make it special right at home.

(Takeout food--even good stuff--on fine china seems a bit silly, but hey, these are not normal times.)

Oh, yeah.....Valentine's Day. Forgot all about that! LOL! No celebration, special meal or flowers for me...... Well, around here not too many people will be going anywhere unless they really, really need to do so, as first they'll have to get the ice off their vehicle before they can hit the road. The temperature this afternoon is supposed to rise enough to get the thawing process well underway, so that should help, and already the roads look just wet, rather than icy and slippery, although there may be some spots here-and-there. I'm not going out there to find out for myself!

Valentine's Day was never a thing with us, either.

However, Shrove Tuesday (because of pancakes), yes, - which often fell around that time of year - and my parents' wedding anniversary (June 1), were usually celebrated, and celebrated with considerable enjoyment and pleasure.

Top Bottom
1 2