What are you doing today?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
working on finishing up materials for a photo course.....getting started and getting finished are always the worst bits; the middle few days are the easiest.

earlier I did some weeding and general gardening. bought some new to me spray called liquid fence to try to keep the deer away. neighborhood gardeners in my town say that it's helped considerably, but my town is quite over-run with deer. the county will cull, but not the town, so i am pretty sure all the deer know just to hang out in town now.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
working on finishing up materials for a photo course.....getting started and getting finished are always the worst bits; the middle few days are the easiest.

earlier I did some weeding and general gardening. bought some new to me spray called liquid fence to try to keep the deer away. neighborhood gardeners in my town say that it's helped considerably, but my town is quite over-run with deer. the county will cull, but not the town, so i am pretty sure all the deer know just to hang out in town now.
I rarely see the deer around here. They keep themselves to themselves in the woods.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It’s much cooler today. But the covers haven’t had a look in for days.

In the mountains here the heat has been nothing like what the UK, Europe and a lot of hot spots in the USA have been enduring, but it has been warm enough to dispense with bedcovers and to keep the windows open all night, not something one can always do here as it sometimes dips down to around 45ºF in the wee hours. Not this week! Still, the highest it has got here so far in the daytime is around 84F / 28C.

Anyway I swore I'd not complain about heat after the wrap of last year's wild winter, so I've been collecting cartoons to laugh at instead on the really hot afternoons... while sipping iced tea or gaspacho.

corny joke.jpg

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I rarely see the deer around here. They keep themselves to themselves in the woods.
deer are voracious here. our town is bisected by a trail that used to be a rail line, so lots of natural habitat for them to live and graze, and much of our town is wooded. and again, since the town won't cull, our population is too high for the housing density, so the deer tend to much on all the pretty ornamentals. :/

i grew up in the actual country on 11 acres and never remember having much issue with deer eating our plants. they had normal deer food there.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
deer are voracious here. our town is bisected by a trail that used to be a rail line, so lots of natural habitat for them to live and graze, and much of our town is wooded. and again, since the town won't cull, our population is too high for the housing density, so the deer tend to much on all the pretty ornamentals. :/

i grew up in the actual country on 11 acres and never remember having much issue with deer eating our plants. they had normal deer food there.
We all have deer food. It’s the cost of petrol driving prices up! 🤭

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just an aside, or comment, or observation, on women (especially modern women with a good education, income, professional status) seeking "at least similar or better education levels" as (their) partners.

Yes and no.

It just so happens (circumstances, choices, intellectual interests, preferences, including political preferences - whatever about my male friends, none of my female friends are 'conservative') that my closest female friends - my own personal social circle (which is anecdotal, not definitive, I know) are all women who are either Ph.Ds or medical doctors.

Yes, some have married men of an equivalent social status, but, a surprising number - possibly because the woman would be regarded as the person in the partnership with the "higher", usually permanent, or more regular, income, - have not, and these are all happy, solid and stable relationships, with mutual respect a feature of these relationships; perhaps, this is a situation that may be more prevalent in Europe.

Re RP, I don't care what he chose to spend his purported income on, - that is his business - or what that may have said about him within the social and cultural constraints and understanding of society in the US.

However, his uninformed and judgmental and intrusive presence on threads was a source of persistent annoyance to virtually everyone else, and that was what I deeply disliked about his online persona.

I don’t really disagree with your assessment, especially within the context of very highly educated women- and the fact women are generally out performing men, at least here in the US. By “conservative”, if you’re speaking politically, I’m not sure that has anything to do with it, but there are certainly a lot of men out there who feel they need to be the primary breadwinner. My wife and I have friend group across the political spectrum, most probably agnostic or moderate or on and left, with a lesser number on the right- most on the center right. Politics isn’t really a frequent topic of discussion.

I met my now wife when I was 21, she was 20. I was starting my PharmD program, she was still working on her undergrad. She ended up getting her MD, just finishing up her cardiology speciality not too long ago. I spent a couple years getting some advanced qualifications. I effectively was the primary breadwinner for many years since her education took so many years. Because I work my regular day job at the hospital and own a small portion of a side business, we currently are in the same ballpark salary. Thankfully my side biz has done quite well, but if it went under I would be early substantially less, Eventually she will likely be out earning me by a decent margin, and I have no issue with that. My mom is an orthopedic surgeon and I would imagine for some time out earned by father who has his masters in finance but spent a lot of his career on Wall Street. My sisters BF of 6+ years has a high level programming job at a major tech company, but probably makes quite a bit less than my sister who is a surgeon. My cousin is very successful in a biomedical marketing job but is married to her middle school BF who was a welder, now a stay at home dad.

So it’s not an impossibility and there are certainly more and more cases of women working successful jobs while husbands either take lesser jobs or no jobs in order to have more time with children.

It would be interesting know how how, on average, women feel about men earning less or with less of an education versus men not being the “traditional” primary breadwinner and/or having substantially less academic achievement. Both consciously and subconsciously.

For me I don’t have a problem earning less than my wife, but I wouldn’t necessarily be attracted to someone without a certain level of intellectual interest and passion, usually reflected in a academic and occupational attainment. But as I’ve said, such relationships such as a cardiologist wife and coo husband are not impossible or unheard of, just not the most common. I typically observe marriages/relationships with markedly more successful wives typically involve those with very longstanding relationships (ie high school sweethearts).

Traditionally, most people would meet their spouse at the same college. People who go to the same school typically have similar academic performance In recent times this has changed due to online dating, so again we’ll probably see this reflected in more diverse relationships.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
My husband and I are spending today being depressed. They came and worked on the pool yesterday and everything looked great until 5:30 this morning. Apparently there is a spring flowing right into the pool with no apparent way to block it.View attachment 16104
in to the pool, or out of the pool? either way sorry for the setback

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh geez, so water is flowing in from underground, behind the liner and sort of floating/detaching it from the ground[?]

On the upside, maybe it's a magical spring like the Fountain of Youth, take a big drink, tell us how you feel. :unsure:

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I'm researching window AC units (my first one ever) and I'm fairly certain this is the one I will go with. Not as cheap as some & definitely not on clearance. Most of the reviews are very good. It's more environmentally friendly & can run using an app on your phone. Although it works with Alexa & Google Home, it does not currently work with HomeKit. But I don't even have HomeKit in my ancient 1947 home, haha.

I was a bit worried about the upward vents but found a video showing it in action (I have the very same room darkening blind) & it works fine. It kind of looks like Apple designed it.

It's by Windmill. Since it weighs 60lbs, I'd hire TaskRabbit to install it.

1658531576502.png

1658531607721.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm researching window AC units (my first one ever) and I'm fairly certain this is the one I will go with. Not as cheap as some & definitely not on clearance. Most of the reviews are very good. It's more environmentally friendly & can run using an app on your phone.

Slick!

Taking a break for a while. See you all later. 🥲

Stick around and hang out in the "other" areas :D I get it, the grinding from political discussions can be debilitating.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
my kids have their last summer swim meet this morning (unless my son manages to drop three seconds in one of his events, then one more for home next week; but unlikely for him) and then the swim banquet tonight. going to be close to 100° today so otherwise trying to stay indoors. 🥵

Top Bottom
1 2