What are you doing today?

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hope there weren’t too many delays. Birmingham airport is a nightmare of late.

It was all clear but we did fast track. The general security and check in queues did not look fun at all. The only delay we had was circling an extra 10 mins while Palma airport decided what runway they were anted us to use lol. The Spanish airport staff are a lot more friendly than the English too [emoji2359]

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Exactly that. It’s almost like someone dug a well, then decided to build a pool over it.
I remember watching a reno show on TV years ago - they were building a house in New England that the basement was below the water table - rather than installing sub pumps, they poured the foundation with concrete that could withstand 4500 PSI of water pressure (so, permanently waterproof - barring, of course, if you had actual water flow, which would erode the foundation over years).

I know - expensive, but something that your contractor could maybe look into?

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It was all clear but we did fast track. The general security and check in queues did not look fun at all. The only delay we had was circling an extra 10 mins while Palma airport decided what runway they were anted us to use lol. The Spanish airport staff are a lot more friendly than the English too [emoji2359]
Enjoy your holiday.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm researching window AC units (my first one ever) and I'm fairly certain this is the one I will go with. Not as cheap as some & definitely not on clearance. Most of the reviews are very good. It's more environmentally friendly & can run using an app on your phone. Although it works with Alexa & Google Home, it does not currently work with HomeKit. But I don't even have HomeKit in my ancient 1947 home, haha.

I was a bit worried about the upward vents but found a video showing it in action (I have the very same room darkening blind) & it works fine. It kind of looks like Apple designed it.

It's by Windmill. Since it weighs 60lbs, I'd hire TaskRabbit to install it.

View attachment 16116

View attachment 16117

I feel guilty sitting here with central air conditioning... :LOL:
Taking a break for a while. See you all later. 🥲
Nooooo! Come back!

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
We took our French Bulldog Zoey to the surgeon yesterday for respiratory surgery. Fixing nostrils, opening the nasal airways, removing tonsils, shortening the soft pallet (it's extra long in these breeds and prone to causing issues), inspection of the trachea and clearing of any inflammatory growths there if required (luckily there weren't the latter as they could grow back once they're there). Surgery went well, we get to pick her up today. Recovery does take awhile though - reduced activity for 4 weeks. :(

An easy to read article on why they need this here:

...but, why I did it? Quality of life. Allowing her to breathe better means she won't be winded from our walks. Frenchies also have a hard time with the extremes of temperature. Dogs can only cool themselves with air passing over their tongues - so, more air = better cooling. The extended soft pallet also caused mucus plugs on a regular basis - which would cause her to gag and often vomit to clear it. This should eliminate that entirely. Better breathing will also extend her lifespan, as her heart won't have to work so hard to deliver oxygen.

The soft pallet surgery is only $700-$900 in the US, but up here, for everything I've done? $5300 - and, yes, that hurts. :( Really didn't seem to have any choice.

Edit: A good image of the nostril surgery results I found online (hoping Zoey's looks this good after they've healed):

Nose-Before-After.png

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Headed into the farmers' market and treated myself to eggs (free range, organic, they had been put aside for me by the German woman who runs the stall, who also has hens, hence, these are her own eggs, collected by hand on the morning of market-day), tomatoes, chives, parsley, basil, garlic, French beans, and salad greens (all her own).

Other vegetables - carrots, celery, cucumber, onions, aubergines, courgettes, peppers, potatoes - I already have.

Oranges, lemons and grapefruit were also bought.

I bought cheese in the cheesemonger's, - described in the cheese thread, - and some belly of pork (which I had ordered in advance yesterday, by phone, as the stall doesn't always have it on display, free range, ethically reared etc), and a few chicken (free range, organic) chicken thighs, skin and bone attached, from the organic meat stall.

Bread (also ordered in advance, in fact, they had asked me last week whether they should simply put some aside this week) from the French bakery, - rye bread and a baguette - and they kindly repeated that request today, which means that i already know that bread will be put aside for me next week.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Today I'll be learning how to design and better setup custom icons for my 32 button Stream Deck control panel.

Most of the buttons will be used to control different "camera" views/orientations in X-Plane that are normally invoked with keyboard hot-keys (which are hard/stressful to find and invoke while flying). A few buttons will be dedicated to program control; pause, run, settings, screen brightness, etc.

Each button has its own mini color LCD screen that's programmable and can invoke different kinds of actions to control when pressed. It's a pretty neat device and can be used in lots of applications.

Attachments

• Stream Deck.jpg
    Stream Deck.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
First day back home after a fantastic weekend. I’ll only bore you with a few photos. I was so tired yesterday that I was asleep before the plane even pulled away from the gate and slept until we landed. We were both asleep by 9 last night.

86F2CC83-C468-467E-B9F7-21B37222E375.jpegC8084FF3-4E97-44A7-80B0-A6C3B5316256.jpegEA0C6584-10E5-4727-BB3C-EB886A932A0D.jpeg

First photo is with my classmate Rabia. Second is a former student (who got his Ph.D. several years ago) whose mother got her BS at the same graduation, and 3rd is just me.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Congratulations, Doctor Alli! Get that diploma framed and hang it on a wall! :) Did you do all of the coursework online or were you on campus for some of it? A friend is working on a master's and while most of the courses are online there is a requirement that students spend at least a week on campus as well..... She lives in Georgia and the school is in either Massachusetts or Rhode Island, I think.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations, Doctor Alli! Get that diploma framed and hang it on a wall! :) Did you do all of the coursework online or were you on campus for some of it? A friend is working on a master's and while most of the courses are online there is a requirement that students spend at least a week on campus as well..... She lives in Georgia and the school is in either Massachusetts or Rhode Island, I think.
The diploma has been framed and on my wall for months. I actually finished back in December. In addition to the online coursework, there were two residencies that were mandatory. It was the only real opportunity to meet the faculty and classmates.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Today just totally rebelling at all the news briefings in my mailbox. Continuing a longstanding online discussion with a friend about whether Kansas City pitcher Zack Greinke is a young doppelganger of the late actor John Spencer (who played Leo McGarry on West Wing). You decide. Of course this is more important than climate change mitigation and the politics of getting the US economy back on track.

zach greinke as a young john spencer?.jpg
john spencer.jpg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Right, Alli, I remember your completing the degree back in December.....now you've come full-circle with the actual graduation ceremony, too!

I need to ask my friend how things are going in her program and it may be that she did have to spend more time on campus than I'd earlier mentioned. Right in the middle of all of it she and her husband moved from Virginia to Georgia, so that was a bit of an interruption for a brief time, too. I think she is close to completing the degree now, though.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
First day back home after a fantastic weekend. I’ll only bore you with a few photos. I was so tired yesterday that I was asleep before the plane even pulled away from the gate and slept until we landed. We were both asleep by 9 last night.

View attachment 16328View attachment 16329View attachment 16330

First photo is with my classmate Rabia. Second is a former student (who got his Ph.D. several years ago) whose mother got her BS at the same graduation, and 3rd is just me.
Wonderful to see these pictures - thanks for sharing them with us - and congrats, Dr Alli.

Brilliant, bravo, and very well done. You should be very proud of yourself.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Trying to get my head and my a** wired together after being gone for a week, and coming home to a week of non-stop action and chaos ...

Today was the braces install for the little G o_O

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

View attachment 16328View attachment 16329View attachment 16330

Wow congratulations, you've earned the right to correct me for my disdain over the Oxford comma any time. Seriously, this is just awesome!

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I feel guilty sitting here with central air conditioning... :LOL:
I hate all of you with central air!!
BIFRSBA.gif

The Windmill AC was installed yesterday and it feels wonderful!
(please ignore the ancient 1940's-I've-seen-better-days window)

Mattie, the cool air blissed out Labrador kid, approves!

1659400498845.jpeg

1659400570336.jpeg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The diploma has been framed and on my wall for months. I actually finished back in December. In addition to the online coursework, there were two residencies that were mandatory. It was the only real opportunity to meet the faculty and classmates.
Congratulations. I have my first aid certificate and 15 meter swimming certificate on my wall.
Somehow I missed out on the rest of my education, yet I’m still the fountain of all knowledge at work. No wonder I spend the evenings catching up on more work which is what I’ll be starting shortly

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations. I have my first aid certificate and 15 meter swimming certificate on my wall.
Somehow I missed out on the rest of my education, yet I’m still the fountain of all knowledge at work. No wonder I spend the evenings catching up on more work which is what I’ll be starting shortly
That’s my husband. He used to bring piles of stuff home and spend hours online doing research. Then his co-workers would ask how he knew X, Y, and Z. He would explain he researched it at home, and they would be shocked that he used his personal time for work!

Top Bottom
1 2