What are you doing today?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Celebrating my 24th birthday 🥳

That is, going out to a restaurant with some close friends this evening. Tomorrow I leave for Lake Tahoe 😁

Excellent! I saw your birthday notification on the site just now:

1659541201018.png

Have fun, eat and drink up, and safe travels.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
That’s my husband. He used to bring piles of stuff home and spend hours online doing research. Then his co-workers would ask how he knew X, Y, and Z. He would explain he researched it at home, and they would be shocked that he used his personal time for work!
Sometimes I think it’s just the people I work with are just a bit thick/lazy/stupid!
We had someone pass their probation today. She commented to her line manager how many interruptions she gets all day from people that don’t know how to do their own jobs and the firm seems to rely on a small handful of people to get the work done.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mt tabor in the middle of portland an extent volcano. always a fun ride. they have painted Piano around portland for people to play and here is one. Plus band down below. this used to hold a lot of the drinking water but not anymore. A full video of the ride too.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
A day off. So after collecting some bird seed for Mrs AFB, my repeat Perscriptions it will most likely be some gardening. Mostly I’m just off as I didn’t want Mrs AFB to be on her own today.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
We are just back from a week's worth of college tours for my daughter (and I think my son got a bit out of it also, but he's only 14). We did 8 schools in seven days and drove over a thousand miles I think. It was exhausting, having essentially four adults in one room and sizeable drives every day. But I hope both kids learned something(s) and it was fun to visit some new cities along the way.

Am now enjoying a well deserved shot of rum while the dog sleeps off her boarding hangover. 🙂 It will probably take the dog longer to recover than the rest of us.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We are just back from a week's worth of college tours for my daughter (and I think my son got a bit out of it also, but he's only 14). We did 8 schools in seven days and drove over a thousand miles I think.

What schools did you tour?

When we did that many years ago, Auburn had the prettiest campus and UK had the best food.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
What schools did you tour?

When we did that many years ago, Auburn had the prettiest campus and UK had the best food.

North Carolina State University
Duke
University of North Carolina
University of Tennessee
Vanderbilt
University of Kentucky
Virginia Tech (my husband did undergrad there)
University of Virginia (my husband did his MBA there)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
North Carolina State University
Duke
University of North Carolina
University of Tennessee
Vanderbilt
University of Kentucky
Virginia Tech (my husband did undergrad there)
University of Virginia (my husband did his MBA there)

Friends don't let their friend's kids go to Duke. ;)

Just sayin' :D

Does VT have A/C in the dorms yet? That marked them off my list 40 years ago and they were still working on it when my daughter considered them in '17.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Hah yeah... and I sure buy that for my own reasons, long ago though they may have been established. Some ol' guy who was then dean of the med school admissions informed me that Duke figured they "owed it to the community" to provide doctors "of the longest possible period of productivity" and so at the age of 31 I was... oh very qualified by all accounts but apparently well past their buy-by date, and being a female applicant (in the 1970s) was not really a plus either in some med schools back then. I'd like to believe things have really changed since then, and I know they have at some schools, but as far as Duke goes, I dunno. That guy seemed to epitomize stuckness... and so one could wonder how that filtered out into the academic side of the school including the selected body of applicants.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm

Just sayin' :D

Does VT have A/C in the dorms yet? That marked them off my list 40 years ago and they were still working on it when my daughter considered them in '17.
We didn't get to go into the dorms at VT...but we have a lot of younger friends who are attending currently or recently graduated and I've never heard comments about the AC....even my husband, who graduated in 89 has never mentioned that...my husband led our "self guided" tour yesterday and half of his comments were literally that "that building wasn't here when I was" so there has been a lot of building and renovation done in the intervening 30+ years.

My husband and son also hate Duke...my daughter seemed to like it...and in the end even my husband said it was a pretty campus (my son got a shirt at UNC that says "Duke Sucketh" if that gives you any indication from him). The food staff gave us a tour of a dining hall and offered us free ice cream! I think she will want to go back for a real tour; we had a mix of scheduled and self guided tours, because we are at the very beginning of the process with her, and she just needed to see some schools to give direction as to type of campus, location, etc. I think future tours will be a little more deliberate going forward since now she has some sense for various school types.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Got these in yesterday (too late for coffee), so we were excited to brew one this morning - we flipped a coin (literally), it was Frog's Breath, so Santa Jack tomorrow :) These are from one our favorite coffee suppliers, Bones Coffee, right out of Tampa, they got a license from Disney (which is pretty cool) to release these. They actually have 5 flavors, but BTT we got back from our trip, 3 were sold out so I got the other 2, and now ALL of them are sold out. Though I'd imagine them getting restocked for Fall/Halloween/Christmas :)

Santa Jack
Festive cranberry sweetness married with decadent creme brulee and our smooth, arabica coffee makes Cranberry Creme Brulee the holiday flavor you never knew you needed.

Frog's Breath
Frog’s Breath is a cunning concoction of coffee, chocolate, and spice. It’s smooth and flavorful with a balanced and spicy finish - a captivating brew that will leave you yearning for another scrumptious sip!

Did my normal mix of 1 scoop Verona dark roast and 2 scoops flavored, all whole bean, nice big 50oz French press :D

Fantastic!

IMG_1768_1920.jpg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
We are just back from a week's worth of college tours for my daughter (and I think my son got a bit out of it also, but he's only 14). We did 8 schools in seven days and drove over a thousand miles I think. It was exhausting, having essentially four adults in one room and sizeable drives every day. But I hope both kids learned something(s) and it was fun to visit some new cities along the way.

Am now enjoying a well deserved shot of rum while the dog sleeps off her boarding hangover. 🙂 It will probably take the dog longer to recover than the rest of us.
Hope she chooses a good one. Or you could always send her to the school of hard knocks where I got educated. Started work at 15. Haven’t stopped since!
Here it’s been another hot one. Gardening this morning. Not much this afternoon. Off to water the pots now

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hope she chooses a good one. Or you could always send her to the school of hard knocks where I got educated. Started work at 15. Haven’t stopped since!
Here it’s been another hot one. Gardening this morning. Not much this afternoon. Off to water the pots now

Started working at 16 as a dishwasher at a breakfast and coffee joint. Have worked ever since, but also managed to pick up two undergraduate degrees and a graduate degree.

I did take six months off after getting my undergraduate degrees to be a dirt-bag climber. And, I spent that time living out of the back of a truck, and surviving mostly on ramen, breakfast cereals and peanut butter. But, that was for adventure's sake.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Had to cover a press conference since most of our reporters are over hours because of the primaries, so I'm drinking coffee and filing photos at my favorite neighborhood joint and trying to convince the manager to bring back beer.

I had to replace my MagSafe 2 charger since I destroyed the connector on mine. During this exchange, the girl at the Apple Store said "wow, this MacBook Pro is really old, I think this came out when I was in the eighth grade," so my beard is now fully grey and I'm going to start dressing like Charleton Heston near the end of "The Ten Commandments."

Earlier this summer, I finally got a new car—a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road—and it's easily my favorite thing ever. So, I get to spend an off-day sawing off the "chin," and swapping in a bumper with a winch and bull-bar. A buddy of mine is offering to let me use his shop, so I get to throw it up on a lift. Thinking of painting "if you can read this, flip me over" on the frame somewhere like I did with my old CJ-7.

Top Bottom
1 2