What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I like the idea of dining rooms, or, at the very least, a proper sit down table at which to eat - but loathe glass tables (or desks).

Wood, please, for me.

Today - spitting rain and threatening strong to gale force winds - dark, and threatening - I headed out to pay a few bills, bought fresh ciabatta, and reserved some multi-seeded bread for tomorrow, and bought some beer. (And crisps).

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Grocery, early, it was thankfully quiet - only one hill-billy halfwit without a mask, pushing her three ugly kids around in a cart.

Tons of good BOGO, BTGO deals. Glad I skipped beer at the liquor store, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale on sale, $15.99/12-pack (bottled ... FUG ... :D)

Drank one for lunch, it's kind of an odd day, BIL stopping by on his way to New Smyrna (from PA), JB is making her stellar homemade M&C, and we're doing a hotdog bar, it's pretty fun, we get some good buns, good dogs (Sabrett), and setup a huge line of different topics, condiments, usually do a 1/2-at-a-time for more variation. It's simple, cheap, delicious, fun.

He's super cautious, isolates for days at a time to confirm any issues, tests, masks, etc.

I'm working on moving some new code over to a different project, good cross-pollination of design patterns/techniques.
One dumbass is all it takes, reminds me of that case in Ohio where one guy gave it to 91 people in a church. It only works when everyone participates.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I have a mix of glass and wood in my house.... The dining table is wood, nice golden oak and fairly small and round since there is not a lot of space in the area, which is not a proper separate dining room but rather a "dining area" that flows into the living room area. Behind the dining table against the wall are three tall glass-and-golden oak cabinets which contain my crystal and various decorative objects d' art. Across from the table, against the wall and near the door, is an antique golden oak sideboard which houses china and various dining accessories used when entertaining (which I haven't done in years), and the top serves as a place for putting my house and car keys plus anything that I need to take out to the car or somewhere else.

My living room is not exactly your traditional, standard living room.... Instead of the usual sofa and a couple of chairs, I have bookcases and my computer workstation. Used to have sofa and chair, but my two Siamese cats (who have now each gone to the Rainbow Bridge) unfortunately did a real number on both items of furniture, pretty much destroying them, and so I got rid of that sofa and chair and never bothered replacing them, and as it happened, it was right around that time that I was looking for a new computer workstation for my then-new G5 iMac. Saw just what I wanted, a lovely glass-and-metal workstation which is quite elegant and contemporary looking. When it was delivered, I had the guys who were assembling it leave the additional shelf that came with it off, thus building in more flexibility for possible changes in the future in the size and type of computer equipment I might be putting on this thing, and that has paid off. I also bought a second, identical work station and it at various times has also been the home of a computer and/or monitor, too, but at present I use it for other things, mostly as a place to set various papers, my external drives when in the middle of a project, etc., and I have a small bookshelf on it that has books related to -- what else but Apple?

A smaller glass workstation meant for laptops, made by the same company, sits on the other side of my main computer workstation, and it holds the printer and accessories related to that. All of this pretty much takes up the longest wall in the living room and that's fine -- essentially I "live" on the computer much of the time anyway, might as well have my living room reflect my interests! The sliding glass door leading out to the deck is at my right when I'm at the computer and I can look out and watch any bird activity on the lake or look across the lake to watch the neighbors walking along the path that goes around the lake. The rest of the room contains a small oak desk, my beloved large wooden (I think it's pine) armoire which houses my external drives and my camera gear plus odds-and-ends of accessories and cables and such, and a couple more bookcases.

I also have a glass cocktail table that of course used to sit in front of the sofa lo these many moons ago and now it serves as a sort of divider between the dining area and the living area, and I use it for all kinds of things, from temporarily providing a space for props and accessories for photographic projects to (currently) holding the stacks of books that I had sorted through a few months ago that are destined to go to the library as donations once the library is receiving those again. I'll be so glad to finally get those books off that table and out of my way!!!

I've always loved glass but never had a desire for a glass dining table, elegant as they may look, because when dining with friends who have one I've noticed that it can be noisy when setting items -- glassware, silver, dishes -- down on it, even with placemats. Easy to keep clean, though, like my glass computer workstation and cocktail table -- a spray of Windex and that's it!

U

User.45

My research study finally opened...only a 6mo delay, so juggling body fluid samples between patient rooms and lab. One of the least inspiring things I've done so far. Hopefully it will pay off.
Also, finally got my flu shot, before the barrage of angry emails.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Decent Brother and I had a good chat for about an hour; on account of Covid, not much is happening in our lives, - although he did describe an online presentation (he is a senior solicitor - lawyer - with the local authority) he had to deliver today, where he conceded that he was suitably attired in shirt and tie (but had donned jeans away from the camera's sight line), and that segued into a gloomy discussion on the appalling Mr Trump.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My research study finally opened...only a 6mo delay, so juggling body fluid samples between patient rooms and lab. One of the least inspiring things I've done so far. Hopefully it will pay off.
Also, finally got my flu shot, before the barrage of angry emails.
Good call, one less thing to worry about that way. We also got ours last month.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Informed husband today that our Thanksgiving plans consist of my ordering a cherry pie for him and a strawberry rhubarb for me. He was happy until he thought to ask “what else?” Hehehe!

Enjoy, whenever Thanksgiving does happen.

Decent Brother and I didn't even dare to discuss Christmas.

Anyway, while talking to my brother earlier this evening - among other sobering subjects - we discussed the numbers of those killed by the Corona virus in the US.

(And yes, we discussed Mr Trump's breathtaking and profoundly disturbing lack of empathy - my brother reminded me of how Trump's niece had written of his complete lack of empathy and how unhinged and dangerous he is, and how she wrote that these days between the election and the next inauguration will be very dangerous - a quarter of a million dead, and he doesn't give a proverbial flying fuck unless it affects him, or inconveniences him, or harms him in some way......words fail me).

In the Other Place, Other Country, in some of the earlier lunatic threads, around the time the deaths numbered 70,000 (itself a mind-boggling number), I had done some historical addition, such as checking or looking up, supposed numbers of US dead from all of the 20th century wars, by way of comparing and contrasting these numbers, with the numbers of those who have died (in a far shorter period of time) from Covid-19. And, even then, more had - have - died from Covid-19 in a few months than in all of the wars the US had been engaged in, during the entire 20th century (and what we have experienced of the 21st century, so far). Shocking.

However, I did recall that the numbers killed during the Civil War were stratospheric (and for different reasons, political reasons, I have been looking at some of this stuff these past few days, plus the fact that it was a major interest of mine when I was a kid - something my father and I had bonded over, as Lincoln was a childhood hero of mine), and tonight, while chatting, we checked them, yes, approximately 600,000-700,000. Actually, some sources suggest 750,000 from war (military) related deaths,

But, that was in over four years of combat; in eight months, deaths from Covid are already in excess of a third of that in the US.

That the leadership of the Republican Party do not see this as shocking and shaming leaves me gobsmacked.

And that they have no shame about merrily and busily - and quite deliberately - undermining the democratic foundations of one of the world's oldest democracies - flawed, yes, but once upon an increasingly distant time, a place that served as an ideal, a model, an aspiration, the possibility of something better and fairer - for almost everyone else on the planet - appals me.

Actually, - this belongs in another thread - but we both think that he (Mr Trump) will try to do something completely deranged, spectacularly insane, utterly lunatic - such as drop a nuclear bomb on Iran a day or so before he leaves office, - if only to spite Mr Biden.

Should he attempt to do such a thing, I can only hope that there are individuals who will decline to carry out such orders.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Good call, one less thing to worry about that way. We also got ours last month.
I strongly recommend everyone to get it. It's just...I'm always doing every single thing in the last moment, because I have no prioritization skills and deadlines are the only enforcement of me getting things done.

Not very healthy, but kept my dysfunction at a reasonable level for years now.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I strongly recommend everyone to get it. It's just...I'm always doing every single thing in the last moment, because I have no prioritization skills and deadlines are the only enforcement of me getting things done.

Not very healthy, but kept my dysfunction at a reasonable level for years now.

This year, for obvious reasons, there is a considerable demand for the flu vaccine.

Around five or six weeks ago, I called into my pharmacist - normally a flying visit, whereby if something cannot be carried out immediately, arrangements are made for the following day - to check about availability of the flu vaccine.

On account of demand, there was a queue, both of time, and of availability' your place in the queue was determined by time (when you joined that queue) and whether you were (and are) classed or considered a priority (front line health workers, the elderly, the ill, people with compromised immune systems, and so on).

When my mother was alive, my circumstances were different, and I would have been classed as a priority case because of the danger to her - elderly, ill, vulnerable, a very compromised immune system - if one of us came down with flu; since she died, almost two years ago, this has no longer been the case, and it never even occurred to me to think of a flu vaccine last year.

`This year is different, and my place in that queue was number two hundred and something.

Today, I phoned the pharmacist fro an update. As things stand, they are awaiting fresh consignments, or deliveries, of vaccine, as they have none in stock. However, the good news is that I seem to have crept up that line, and now rank "not far from the top"; further questioning revealed this to be number twenty something.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The lovely German lady who runs the very best organic vegetable stall in the farmers' market very kindly left two boxes of eggs (organic, free range) into the cheesemonger's for me; I shall have to arrange to collect them, as I have been unable to reach the cheesemonger.

As the wind has dropped, and the rain has stopped, (for now, at any rate), I managed a walk before darkness fell.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
It's a pleasant, albeit cloudy day out there this afternoon..... After lunch I'm probably going to head off to the library and then make a quick stop at the grocery store, too, and get my food shopping done in advance of the inevitable rush this coming week as people prepare for Thanksgiving, which is on Thursday. I'm not a big fan of most of the foods commonly served a big Thanksgiving feasts, so will probably just have something I really enjoy instead -- maybe some shrimp. Definitely a Stella or two, to acknowledge the holiday. It doesn't bother me that this will be a solitary Thanksgiving -- I have lots of nice memories of other Thanksgivings spent with family and/or friends through the years!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The birds and squirrels and furious. We only had a handful of peanuts to toss out, and only 1 of the 3 bird feeders is full. They have demanded we go to the store today to replenish. So that’s what we’re doing today.
We have three nut feeders and three seed feeders. The nuts get filled weekly. The three other feeders get filled (and emptied!) daily.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wine in a can is literally how I got through Econ classes in grad school. It’s not my fault, really. Day one the professor talked about two countries trading wine and cheese. Something about a Ricardian model of economics. I was just trying to apply myself. I got the wine, not the cheese though.
Is wine in a can a step up or step down from wine in a box.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The lovely German lady who runs the very best organic vegetable stall in the farmers' market very kindly left two boxes of eggs (organic, free range) into the cheesemonger's for me; I shall have to arrange to collect them, as I have been unable to reach the cheesemonger.

As the wind has dropped, and the rain has stopped, (for now, at any rate), I managed a walk before darkness fell.
Had a walk first thing which I believe was the best of today’s poor weather.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's a pleasant, albeit cloudy day out there this afternoon..... After lunch I'm probably going to head off to the library and then make a quick stop at the grocery store, too, and get my food shopping done in advance of the inevitable rush this coming week as people prepare for Thanksgiving, which is on Thursday. I'm not a big fan of most of the foods commonly served a big Thanksgiving feasts, so will probably just have something I really enjoy instead -- maybe some shrimp. Definitely a Stella or two, to acknowledge the holiday. It doesn't bother me that this will be a solitary Thanksgiving -- I have lots of nice memories of other Thanksgivings spent with family and/or friends through the years!
It won’t be solitary. You have online friends to share it with!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I have the same problem. This is why when I drive my car, I drive it irresponsibly fast, take corners hard and burn rubber every chance I get... you know, to be a good citizen and to properly care for my vehicle as to keep it road worthy. Having to replace tires prematurely is bad for the environment. I know I’m doing the right thing because other drivers are constantly honking their horns to encourage me and waving ”you go, buddy” with their finger!

Hah! And here all this time I had thought I was sending a completely other signal when I threw that finger as traffic neared a notorious "LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT" sign approaching the top of a local mountain and people who'd been speeding up the slow lane in light traffic situations had decided to keep it up, playing chicken and then nearly forcing law abiding drivers into oncoming traffic at the last second for the merry hell of it. Who knew?

I always figured one day I'd lose it and sacrifice one of my clunkers for the mere satisfaction of wrecking at least the side of someone's SUV. But, my old cars always died in my driveways before I ever got that suicidal, and then of course my next new-to-me vehicle seemed like a limo fit for the princess I am, so I became an enthusiastic bird thrower all over again.

Top Bottom
1 2