What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
You know, I had half planned to watch Hamilton tonight, amply fortified with a glass or two of wine; a friend gifted me a brief membership of Disney Plus - as he knew that I longed to see this brilliant show (and Covid has put paid to everything, for I had hoped to see it live on stage).

Actually, I had even briefly opened the biography of Andrew Hamilton (by Ron Chernow) - on which the musical is based and which I currently have in my possession (albeit borrowed from the library) - last night before nodding off.

But, current affairs trumps history, no matter how alluring or musically enthralling.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Locked down while racist traitors and terrorists take over my town. Arrest them all; we don’t have prison space in DC, but these are federal crimes, so they can be taken to federal prisons anywhere in the country.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Locked down while racist traitors and terrorists take over my town. Arrest them all; we don’t have prison space in DC, but these are federal crimes, so they can be taken to federal prisons anywhere in the country.

NY's Gov Cuomo has a couple spare prisons he could sell the feds.. people up in the North Country were recently complaining about the impending layoffs....

Heh. Trump talking now about how he and his party are the party of law and order.

If Pence and cabinet heads had any brains or courage they'd be signing a 25A incapacity statement and then swearing in Pence as president right now. Mikey's 14 days of fame... while they figure out how much longer it should take to decide that the DoJ's Office of Legal Counsel's moldering old memo (on not indicting a sitting president) is and always was a total crock.

Anyway this is what it's like when we let a malignant narcissist run on cult power for four years and then we try to pull the plug on it and them.

Hope we can check that off and decide not to try it again thinking it was just a fluke this time.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Changed bedlinen, put on a wash, trotted to the local store to pick up my organic milk and organic cream, and buy some sparkling mineral water, and butter.

Paid some bills, and ordered some beer.

Treated myself to a mug of hot chocolate on my return.

And now, am finally reading the news reports.

lizkat

Reaction score
Compulsive snacking and doom scrolling, instead of revising for my exams.

Same, except had planned to revise the careless way I'd put plastic over one of the windows upstairs; I have sometimes felt an icy breeze if I walk past there when the wind is from due north, which is not that usual but has been happening lately.

Walking past that little breeze tonight will manage to cure my interest in current events for 20 minutes tomorrow. It's going to be 15ºF in another hour and somewhere around 11ºF tomorrow night! File under motivation...

lizkat

Reaction score
we went on a trump conceded bike ride.

I would certainly like to go on a Trump-resigned incursion into the better bits of my winter pantry.

So far such festivities are on hold, but I did find the guy's clearly schooled acknowledgment that his presidency will at least end by January 20th a step in the right direction. I was not unhappy to read that he has said now that Pence and not he will attend Biden's inauguration.

So I have rounded up some marinated mushrooms to have with a bit of summer sausage and some artichoke hearts for lunch.

What else I'm doing today is sorting old quilting magazines from which I've extracted all info or patterns I need, so they can hit the recycle bin. Tedious!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I keep jumping in-and-out of the Washington Post's website to see if He's Gone Yet....... I won't be surprised if he does come to the realization that it might be better to attempt to save face by resigning rather than going through the indignity of being told to leave and being summarily tossed out on his orange head! Then again, he might not be able to tolerate simply doing that. Years ago, Richard Nixon ("Tricky Dick") resigned rather than be tossed out when the time came that the country had had enough. That was somewhat different, though. Trump isn't going to go easily, and getting him to see the sense in simply resigning may not happen. The Orange guy sure won't be able to tolerate being stripped of his powers involuntarily, that's for sure!

One thing I was relieved to see was that Nancy Pelosi has spoken to the appropriate personnel regarding Trump and the all-important codes. Keeping him away from those in itself is a good step so that hopefully he can't just blow us all into smithereens in the midst of another temper tantrum.

Oh -- something happier about today is that I saw my beloved Great Blue Heron, Alfred, for the first time in a couple of months! I was in the kitchen about to pour myself another cup of coffee and casually gazing out the window at the geese across the lake. All of a sudden a woman and her dog came running down the path on that side of the lake, and the geese squawked and fluttered their wings, startled. I was startled when suddenly I saw wings moving into the air as someone took flight -- and almost immediately realized it was not a goose. I watched as he flew to the roof of one of the townhouses. Was it -- could it be -- ALFRED???!!! I plunked the coffee mug, which I was still holding, down on the counter and ran into the living room to grab the RX10 IV. Disregarding how cold it is outside today I stepped out on the deck, camera in hand, for a better look and sure enough, it WAS Alfred!!! I spent the next few minutes happily shooting photos of him as he stood on the roof gazing one direction and then another. Eventually I started getting cold and came on back into the house. The next time I looked out Afred was gone, so my timing was really good. I suspect that he has been spending most of his time down at the other end of the lake but maybe upon occasion does come up this way and I've just missed him in the past. I'm happy to know he's still around and still a resident of the community! :)

Something NOT so happy today is that I got an email from the library announcing that as of Monday, January 11th, they will be going back to curbside service only -- we will not be able to enter the building and select our own materials. My guess is that the reason for this is that they're being proactive in anticipation of our already-high number of cases of COVID-19 increasing significantly try over the next few weeks thanks to the people who just couldn't stay at home over the Christmas/New Year's holidays. Curbside service is doable and it is a way of patrons being able to get the books being held for them and to request specific titles or authors' books to be pulled off the shelves as well, but it's not my favorite way of using the library. At least we still can.....for the moment. Fortunately I have a nice stack of books that I recently checked out so those will do for a little while, plus I have a couple of holds which will be coming in over the next few weeks. In addition, I do have a few books that I've bought, too, and those will do nicely, too. Unlike last time the bookdrop will be available so patrons won't have to hang on to whatever they've got at home now and will be expected to return them as they become due.

Last edited:
U

User.45

we got 35 miles in on our tandem. no rain for once and unto 56 degrees . rivers where high and we saw several little waterfalls as it is rock walls along all the roads. but no room to take pics.
View attachment 2370View attachment 2371View attachment 2372View attachment 2373View attachment 2374
Reminded me of you:
1610140426699.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I keep jumping in-and-out of the Washington Post's website to see if He's Gone Yet....... I won't be surprised if he does come to the realization that it might be better to attempt to save face by resigning rather than going through the indignity of being told to leave and being summarily tossed out on his orange head! Then again, he might not be able to tolerate doing that. He sure won't be able to tolerate being stripped of his powers involuntarily, that's for sure!

One thing I was relieved to see was that Nancy Pelosi has spoken to the appropriate personnel regarding Trump and the all-important codes. Keeping him away from those in itself is a good step so that hopefully he can't just blow us all into smithereens in the midst of another temper tantrum.

Yes, I cannot concentrate either; I keep checking - and harbouring hope - to see if he has been removed, silenced, immobilised.

How awful that it is come to this: That we are having such a conversation about one of the richest countries in the world, one of the world's oldest democracies.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Cleaning a very dirty car ready for it to be part ex’d next Friday. I literally haven’t hoovered it out since last Feb. The outside is covered in road salt too. Love cleaning cars when it’s 1 degree outside. Not.
eac0eb4f744edc7de933e8a2b2dd0997.jpg

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Cleaning a very dirty car ready for it to be part ex’d next Friday. I literally haven’t hoovered it out since last Feb. The outside is covered in road salt too. Love cleaning cars when it’s 1 degree outside. Not.
eac0eb4f744edc7de933e8a2b2dd0997.jpg
Lol. I looked at mine today and thought about giving them a wash. Then decided against! I tidied the garage instead and put Mrs AFB car in there. First time I've done that in years.

Did some gardening as well. Just filling the brown bin.

Then a a nice walk as it was dry for a change.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
went on a ride to a apple store to exchange the watch bands on our apple watches. the closer store is closed. but it was a nice ride with a lot of climbing one 2 block section we just made it up it is a 20% grade. that was after a 16% grade. its a lot even on a e tandem some pics of the Willamette river mt hood and a old sub at Omsi. and the crazy street.
IMG_2059.jpg
IMG_2058.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

U

User.45

went on a ride to a apple store to exchange the watch bands on our apple watches. the closer store is closed. but it was a nice ride with a lot of climbing one 2 block section we just made it up it is a 20% grade. that was after a 16% grade. its a lot even on a e tandem some pics of the Willamette river mt hood and a old sub at Omsi. and the crazy street. View attachment 2577View attachment 2578View attachment 2579View attachment 2580View attachment 2581View attachment 2582View attachment 2583
just the run-of-the-mill submarine

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Really happy right now, since I went out on the deck to shoot the Hooded Mergansers and instead got me a real prize: the elusive Belted Kingfisher!!! She came zipping past and landed on the chains that are between the posts on our pier. I immediately swung the camera over that way and took a look. Wow! Second sighting of her when I had a camera in hand! This time she was significantly closer so that I got a better shot than I had last summer, but even at that she was at a distance, but that's why we have the ability to crop our images! Only problem is that she was facing away from me. Oh, well, I'll take what I can get. Her photo is now in the POTD thread here, so have a look!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Really happy right now, since I went out on the deck to shoot the Hooded Mergansers and instead got me a real prize: the elusive Belted Kingfisher!!! She came zipping past and landed on the chains that are between the posts on our pier. I immediately swung the camera over that way and took a look. Wow! Second sighting of her when I had a camera in hand! This time she was significantly closer so that I got a better shot than I had last summer, but even at that she was at a distance, but that's why we have the ability to crop our images! Only problem is that she was facing away from me. Oh, well, I'll take what I can get. Her photo is now in the POTD thread here, so have a look!
Lucky you. Never seen one in the wild let alone photographed one!

Top Bottom
1 2