What are you doing today?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, I recall my parents celebrating Valentine's Day and during our courtship and marriage my husband and I did, too. Flowers and/or candy, a nice dinner out in a elegant restaurant...... That all came to a halt, of course, when my husband died on February 1, 1989. That year Valentine's Day was more than difficult: salt rubbing into a fresh, raw wound.....

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Today was like any other Sunday with my wife and children. The only difference is I have a valentines card to my wife and daughters. Had some nice food, a couple of beers and did the usual housework I do each Sunday.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Ignoring Valentine's Day works for me and since I don't watch much TV I'm not blasted by all the adverts, either.

Did a little household cleaning, then spent some time shooting a photo. On another site, Nikon Cafe, we have a weekly thread called the Collective Shoot, where during the week we shoot and offer images based around a particular theme. It's not a competition, it's more about knowing the during the week other photographers are out there thinking about and shooting the same topic, and seeing the different interpretations is always fun. This week's theme is celebrating the Chinese New Year, which now starting in February 2021 is The Year of the Ox -- and the host of the CS, appropriately enough, a Chinese man who lives in Hong Kong, invited us to share photos of "Ox, Cow, Cattle, Bull, Buffalo, Bison, Yak....."

Some years ago I went with friends to Vermont and that was the closest I've been to live cows and other farm animals in a while! Been a few years as well since I've been to a county fair, too. Actually, the point of the Collective Shoot is that the image(s) must be shot during the specified time frame, not something pulled from one's archives. Too bad, because many years ago I took a couple of shots of a little boy learning to milk a cow. My camera and I were right under that cow trying to get a good angle to capture an interesting image of the little boy, the bucket and the milk coming out of the cow, and I had to make sure she didn't step on me and that I didn't interfere with him milking her. He did really well once he got the hang of things! Whew, that was rather an aromatic experience, too, being so close up and personal with a cow, and the first thing I did after returning home was to two my clothes into the laundry hamper and jump into the shower. That was way back in my film days. Anyway, getting back to current times: from that trip to Vermont, I brought home a couple of souvenirs which fit the bill for this week's CS, and experimented with how I wanted to present them. Image is in our POTD thread.....

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Yes, I recall my parents celebrating Valentine's Day and during our courtship and marriage my husband and I did, too.
As long as it does not involve those little candy-chalk heart things.

My best friend's daughter and daughter's husband went to the mountains, to snowboard/ski/whatever for V.Day, so no one can say anything online about the passing of the sister (aunt) until they get back. It seems kind of odd to me to go from the snowbound midwest to the snowclad mountains for a vacation, but what do I know. They went to one of those upscale ski towns, so maybe it was mostly about the toddies.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Studying French, sipping coffee, making a few phone calls, browsing online.

Have been having some odd dreams, snatches of bits of a life that used to be lived.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Waited all day for a shiny new Mac Mini M1 to be delivered by DHL. Finally got it and was like ”Meh, I’ll finish doing the laundry, have some dinner and then watch hockey. Unboxing can wait ’til tomorrow.”.

I‘m getting old perhaps.

Anyways - Following the plan so far, laundry done, dinner had, and now halfway through watching the game. Currently celebrating 1-0. 🥳

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Waited all day for a shiny new Mac Mini M1 to be delivered by DHL. Finally got it and was like ”Meh, I’ll finish doing the laundry, have some dinner and then watch hockey. Unboxing can wait ’til tomorrow.”.

I‘m getting old perhaps.

Anyways - Following the plan so far, laundry done, dinner had, and now halfway through watching the game. Currently celebrating 1-0. 🥳
ya I dont get excited about computer upgrades. they are always too much work. it will take hours to get it up and running if it is a upgrade.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
As long as it does not involve those little candy-chalk heart things.

My best friend's daughter and daughter's husband went to the mountains, to snowboard/ski/whatever for V.Day, so no one can say anything online about the passing of the sister (aunt) until they get back. It seems kind of odd to me to go from the snowbound midwest to the snowclad mountains for a vacation, but what do I know. They went to one of those upscale ski towns, so maybe it was mostly about the toddies.

To give a better sense of the background, why not post wat you wrote in te "cats" thread here?

My French class is over, and I shall pour a beer presently.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
ya I dont get excited about computer upgrades. they are always too much work. it will take hours to get it up and running if it is a upgrade.

Pre-Covid, I always had that sort of stuff done by tech people in the Apple stores who knew what they were about and what they were doing.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
We have to go to the store for more bird seed. I swear they eat more than we do. Around here it’s never “honey, we’re out of milk we need to go to the store” it’s always “honey, we’re out of bird seed again.” And it’s not like we just buy a single bag each time. And the peanuts! My goodness!

But I think we’ll do double duty today cause I’d like to visit Whole Foods (we don’t have Trader Joe’s here).
I can relate. We have the morning peanut butter that goes out for Mr Blackbird. Occasionally Robin might get some (neither of us eat it). Digestive biscuit every morning for the tits and Robins to share. Sunflower hearts. Suet pellets. Mealworms all go out each and every morning. Then the three nut feeders get topped up about once a week. Then we have 5 water baths of various sizes.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Belgian beer? Do enjoy. I’ll pass on shrove Tuesday. It was another of those things I always did for Miss AFB. She used to love them.

Well, I've never actually prepared them for myself, but, when we were children, Mother used to prepare pancakes for us on Shrove Tuesday, and I loved them.

Later, as an adult, as a sort of special treat, for a number of years, especially after my father died, (and before she developed dementia), Mother used to prepare them for me a few times on Shrove Tuesday (although, I usually did almost all of the cooking the rest of the time by then).

I'll be honest: I'd give - well, not anything, but a lot - if someone were to prepare a pancake - or crepe - for me tomorrow, but - with Covid, that is not likely to happen.

However, if and when such places re-open post-Covid-lockdown, I shall venture into a Breton creperie, and treat myself to a Breton style crepe someday.

(Mother, Decent Brother and I, used to do that together occasionally around 20-25 years ago, - head into a Breton creperie - for a late lunch, at a time when I was still teaching in my home university, and Decent Brother had returned to university as a mature student).

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
V day dinner was fabulous, still enjoying it tonight (a 13lb turkey and matching quantities of stuffing and potatoes, doesn't get eaten in one night - and so much gravy, holy shit, it was epic and rich). Cheese dip with the small crock was excellent. The cupcakes didn't come together, but the wife used the pumpkin puree and made some amazing cookies, almost like soft biscuits / tiny thick pancakes (in fact, I dipped mine in maple syrup).

Lots and lots of drinks, and late-late movies, so at some point, I tossed up an auto-reply in email and said, f*** it, no work today, slept late (which I never, ever do ...).

Got some great swag, an amazing, huge, thick cast iron skillet (so a gift, but really for the whole family), and we scored the little G several things on her Amazon Wishlist (Switch and K-pop goodies), got the wife a super nice cooler for [possible upcoming] trips, deck, beach, this is one of those high[er] end boutique brands, that's bear proof (seriously, it'a a specification), in testing it went 4 days, in 95+ degree weather and retained ice (again, sort of a family gift since everyone benefits).

Ugh, today, we've been on a very serious weather watch, like making sure everyone is on deck to duck into the closet under the stairs due to several tornado watches/warnings, another squall line is headed our way, with "tornadic" movement/structure, so we're on deck this evening again. Mostly, being this close to the coast (~2 blocks) prevents certain types of weather, like this, but still like to be on alert (our phones are constantly buzzing).

OK, opening some doors, on semi-high alert ...

Attachments

• IMG_7534_1200.jpeg
    IMG_7534_1200.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0086_1200.jpeg
    IMG_0086_1200.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7529_1200.jpeg
    IMG_7529_1200.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7532_1200.jpeg
    IMG_7532_1200.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 20.04.51.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 20.04.51.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 22

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony

I‘m getting old perhaps.

When I got my M1 MBP it was quicker than I had expected -- all of a sudden the model with the specsI wanted was available to order and then to have delivered to me by courier from my closest Apple store....and the delivery actually got to me within an hour and a half -- and yeah, I'd already had other things going on that day or planned for that day, First I let the new machine get comfy and acclimated to the temperature in the house, and then I opened the box and admired her but didn't take her out, and then after a while I took her out of the box to do a photoshoot, but still didn't unwrap the plastic protective covering from her. I knew from previous experience that once I opened the lid on the new machine that she'd be immediately ready for the process of setting up, and I wanted to wait until *I* was ready for that, too...... I had to collect my cheat sheet of various passwords and such and wanted to have plenty of uninterrupted time to work with the new machine..... So, yeah, I can relate completely to the delay in dealing with a new machine! For me having her in the household was sufficient at first and I just needed time to get organized to actually totally integrate her into the family. :).

Congratulations on your newest member of your household!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Just got finished clearing my driveway. It's only a few inches deep but it's going to be snowing all night. I'm getting a head start on it before it gets too high for my snow thrower to easily handle.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
man today kinda sucked. the roads still had some snow but busses were running and it was a little slow to get to work but pretty normal. Worked some then wanted to a local grocery store where I buy most of our meat only to find it closed. lucky I brought some stuff for lunch. I was tired so I left early only to wait about 1.5 hours for one of the three busses that stop at that stop. The roads are clearer and melting and temps is 45. I walked back to my shop for my back battery for my phone as the game I was playing really sucked up the battery. I decided to take a cross town bus as they were running and take the light rail home. Well after a half our or so no trains and I found out a bit later a big power outage may have caused it. So I ended up having to call a Lyft and even then one driver vanished and it took 20 minutes to get a ride and man the price is up normally it would be about 30 but it was 45 with tip 57.00 I could not even get any groceries so ended up with eggs and bacon for dinner like I had for breakfast.

Top Bottom
1 2