What are you doing today?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
We have just extra time! I just more or less hung up on one of my bosses as I told him it was cutting into the two and a half hours a day I don’t work for him.

On my last deployment, I had a boss - unfortunately, the head of mission - who used to send emails to staff (on a regular basis) at around 23.30, - but who never appeared before 10.00 in the morning (whereas we started at 08.00).

Now, as it happens, I'm pretty nocturnal, and I don't mind dealing with emergencies, but, firstly, every minute of every day cannot be classed as an emergency, and secondly, people need a set time when they can switch off completely and not be expected to have to respond to communications from a boss or line manager.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I can relate with this, I've been trying to push back but the amount of work is so overwhelming and won't let up so I really have no options but to let some of it slip and I hate doing that, the result is poor quality of service and from the client's perspective I am directly responsible for it.
Exactly. I'm interviewing tomorrow for a new assistant as my last one is moving on. Really hope one of them is a good fit!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I worked from home yesterday for the first time in a month and have pretty much gone fully back to the office. It pissed me off a while back when one of the directors at our place made the unfounded comment our department were not doing as much when working from home. The reality was we increased our output and have delivered more in 12 months than had been done in 14 years prior. Much of that was because instead of turning our computers off at 4.30pm and going home, we’d stay working later into the evening and often turn on in the morning at the time we’d all usually be leaving for work. The working day was longer and because we were at home, there was less distractions and no time wasted walking around the factory to other departments.

It’s sort of backfired on them now because we are all back the office and usually start and finish on time lol. I can still work from home if I want to though which is a useful perk.
I go into the office once or twice a week. But my standard week is 8-5:30 then 8pm until late Monday to Thursday. Usually some hours on a Sunday as well. Thing is if you do 12 things well, my boss will give you 13. If you do 13 well he'll give you 14 and so on. Where as if you do 12 things badly you don't get given anymore things to do!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
On my last deployment, I had a boss - unfortunately, the head of mission - who used to send emails to staff (on a regular basis) at around 23.30, - but who never appeared before 10.00 in the morning (whereas we started at 08.00).

Now, as it happens, I'm pretty nocturnal, and I don't mind dealing with emergencies, but, firstly, every minute of every day cannot be classed as an emergency, and secondly, people need a set time when they can switch off completely and not be expected to have to respond to communications from a boss or line manager.
Its basically more things to do each day. The pile of things I didn't complete from the previous day gets more and more. As I explained to a colleague today, if I don't get one more call, email or message on teams between now and the end of June, I'll probably still not clear my inbox!

U

User.45

I'm pretty nocturnal, and I don't mind dealing with emergencies, but, firstly, every minute of every day cannot be classed as an emergency, and secondly, people need a set time when they can switch off completely and not be expected to have to respond to communications from a boss or line manager.
My pager says hold *my* beer.:D

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Its basically more things to do each day. The pile of things I didn't complete from the previous day gets more and more. As I explained to a colleague today, if I don't get one more call, email or message on teams between now and the end of June, I'll probably still not clear my inbox!
I feel this. Right now my mental health is in a bad state, dealing with the overload of a never ending pipeline of new clients while being understaffed is disheartening to say the least, I'm dreading bringing on any more. My life is consumed by it day and night, in the last two weeks I've maybe gotten 5 hours of sleep a night and can't get all the work escalations out of my head.

I took one day off (first out of 14 straight 12 hour days) and it was a shit show of upset clients that I wasn't there. My ability to cope is at the end of its rope and am not sure how much more I can take.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I feel this. Right now my mental health is in a bad state, dealing with the overload of a never ending pipeline of new clients while being understaffed is disheartening to say the least, I'm dreading bringing on any more. My life is consumed by it day and night, in the last two weeks I've maybe gotten 5 hours of sleep a night and can't get all the work escalations out of my head.

I took one day off (first out of 14 straight 12 hour days) and it was a shit show of upset clients that I wasn't there. My ability to cope is at the end of its rope and am not sure how much more I can take.
Exactly how I was feeling earlier. A bit better now. Have a new assistant starting Monday as the old one finishes this week. Just hope he's up to scratch. Had a good chat telling the owner how demotivated I was feeling this morning. At least he didn't try and give me anything new and did actually take a couple of (small!) things off me.

U

User.45

Hang in there.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just finished setting up the new tablesaw. It is called a sawstop it is a safe saw if you touch the blade the blade gets slammed into a aluminum block and drops down. So you get a kick instead of losing a finger.
56a30a133f8e9e1361c0ef64a70c2a09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Two hours of PT/OT first thing this morning. Then I raced home to load the car:

AF6E719A-45CD-49BF-95DA-D0C4EA444EB7.jpeg

And off we went to the 5 Rivers Delta center for some kayaking. Once my husband got the hang of paddling it was pretty smooth. I love him dearly, but he is totally uncoordinated, so this was a challenge. We went until he was worn out and saw some beautiful vegetation along the way. Some fish jumping, and birds flying, but no turtles or gators.

F905A1F7-A263-4CA1-A3DD-6E21C6117992.jpegB5930C4E-9C0C-4C1B-A95D-9C5B5793A143.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just finished setting up the new tablesaw. It is called a sawstop it is a safe saw if you touch the blade the blade gets slammed into a aluminum block and drops down. So you get a kick instead of losing a finger.

Holy hell, I looked up this product and watched several videos, it's MAGIC.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Holy hell, I looked up this product and watched several videos, it's MAGIC.
ya its crazy but it sure makes the tool safer. I was going to buy it but then the pandemic hit. then a friend who shares space in the basement of a warehouse took the tip of his finger off so he rushed out and bought one. I have hand kickbacks cutting thin plywood and I was getting tired of it. I don't use the tables a lot though so its hard to justify the price.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So my new guy starting next week has changed his mind. Really pissed me off. Completely wasted my time. I just don’t have enough of it right now.
My new guy started this week (coincidence that we have the same crap going on at work) and fortunately he's doing okay so far. However, this is my second try as the first new guy didn't quite work out through no fault of his own, the work just requires a more senior resource.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
My new guy started this week (coincidence that we have the same crap going on at work) and fortunately he's doing okay so far. However, this is my second try as the first new guy didn't quite work out through no fault of his own, the work just requires a more senior resource.
My first guy started in December. But got head hunted and left yesterday.

U

User.191

Gah - what a horrible few days. Between trying to archive 2 years worth of ticket data from ZenDesk, to trying (and failing) to get file sharing working from Big Sur (looks like Apple broke it), to setting up a SSH server on Windows, and now trying to get Java based LDAP authentication working - it's been a long few days.

Weekend and wine - winner!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Two trips to the tip this morning. Got rid of quite a bit of garden waste. Then gave the car interior a good hour with the vacuum. There were leaves, twigs and soil everywhere! A bit of gardening and a walk this afternoon. Got to keep closing those rings.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Headed into the farmers' market this morning:

Yesterday, I had phoned the German lady who runs the best stall (organic) and she confirmed that her hens had finally (finally, finally) started to lay eggs, in abundance.

So, I asked her to keep some for me, and she very kindly put aside three boxes of eggs for me.

Thus, eggs (free range, organic), vegetables: Aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini), tomatoes, cucumber, onions, carrots, parsnip, potatoes, chard, spinach, lots and lots of new season's "fresh" garlic, salad greens, parsley, coriander, chilli peppers, chives, and peppers were all bought.

As were lemons, oranges and mangoes.

Olives, hummus, wild garlic pesto, fresh pasta, at a stall, and bread (in the French bakery); Cheeses included Gorgonzola Cremosa, St Agur, Camembert Rustique, St Nectaire, Taleggio, Dent du Chat, Morbier, and young goat's Gouda all of which were purchased in the cheesemonger's.

Basmati rice, galangal, rendang paste, sambal oelek, lime leaves and lemongrass were bought in the nearby Asian store, as was Chinese cabbage.

And fish, - wild trout, and red mullet - at the fishmonger's stall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2