What are you doing today?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to buy me a 'newer' vehicle than my 2001 Silverado, but have decided now I'm just going to drop $5K on the truck to fix all the nuances (including $1K on bodywork), new suspension, second part of the drivetrain repair, new brakes and refresh the internals and the 2008 after market stereo.

It's too nicer vehicle to get rid of otherwise, I brought it new and it's been in a garage for almost all it's life (when not being driven) and only got a shy over 100K miles on it. And since I'll be leaving these shores to head back to blighty in about 5 years it really doesn't make sense to do anything else because I'd probably loose over $10K over 5 years on any used vehicle I buy.
Our second vehicle, the truck, is my late father-in-law’s 1995 Nissan. It qualifies as an antique. Hubby has invested so much in it over the last year he could have bought a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles. But he’s sentimental.
having it removed was an interesting experience too - hopefully yours just needs antibiotics or similar.
Some years ago when on a work trip, my husband had that. He described having the sliver removed as the doctor drilling into his eyeball. Makes me shudder just to think about it.

D

Deleted member 199

Our second vehicle, the truck, is my late father-in-law’s 1995 Nissan. It qualifies as an antique. Hubby has invested so much in it over the last year he could have bought a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles. But he’s sentimental.

Some years ago when on a work trip, my husband had that. He described having the sliver removed as the doctor drilling into his eyeball. Makes me shudder just to think about it.
Yeah, mine wasn't a drill so much as... I think a needle, and a little.. I dunno, something he sort of scraped with. It wasn't painful at all, but it's kind of unnerving in lead up to it because you see stuff getting really close, and then you just can't focus on it and it's a blur.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Around twenty years ago, I recall suffering from a severe bout of conjunctivitis - and yes, in my good eye; it was itchy, sore, red-eyed, and my vision became blurry.

I had had a bad headcold, and my sinuses (which were an endless source of inconvenience for decades) became infected, and - I'm not quite sure how it happened - they, in turn (or, so I was informed subsequently) somehow infected my eye.

Anyway, I was teaching at the time, teaching Russian and Soviet history to a class of very good (and motivated, and interested) students, in an ancient and venerable university, and I vividly recall a sudden, startling, entirely unexpected, sharp jab and serious stab of pain in my eye - I was speaking at the time, and almost cried out with startled shock and pain, it was like a sharp sting in my eye - I remember suppressing that - and also almost lost my train of thought, during my own lecture.

Initially, I thought it was a stye, - I'm prone to them when stressed, or run-down - or that I had somehow managed to get something in my eye.

But no: A day later, (I had assumed that it might have cleared up overnight, but, it didn't), visiting the university's medical facilities (I could hardly see, let alone read by then, for everything was blurry), - they diagnosed "severe conjunctivitis".

Antibiotics and drops (both prescribed) cleared it up in a couple of days, but it was pretty unpleasant at the time.

Best of luck with it, @Clix Pix; I can well understand (and empathise with) your concerns.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We're not heading back down to Virginia till August. Expect craziness when we return. Haven't heard a peep from friends in Virginia, so I knew McAuliffe would win; he's a prolific fundraiser and a known quantity. I was rooting for Jennifer Carroll Foy as the seemingly most progressive candidate. I'm also biased as she was instrumental in a successful fundraising dinner for a cause I was tangentially involved with last summer.

I was at least a LITTLE surprised at the complete rout it turned out to be for McAuliffe. Carroll Foy cleared 20% in a couple of northern VA counties but that's about the best she managed. I guess the Dem voters just figured the way to win in November is go with the guy who has all that name recognition, so "issues, shmissues".... it's all down to name recognition now?

Politico has an interactive map with by-country breakouts they're still updating.

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah, mine wasn't a drill so much as... I think a needle, and a little.. I dunno, something he sort of scraped with. It wasn't painful at all, but it's kind of unnerving in lead up to it because you see stuff getting really close, and then you just can't focus on it and it's a blur.

Similar to when I had a cinder removed from an eye and suffered a mild corneal abrasion as it blew into my eye during a windy day when I was traveling between my city and country places. Fortunately I was near a highway exit with a hospital in the town and went right to the ER. They gave me a local anesthetic and liquid antibiotic after inquiring about allergies etc., and then picked the stupid thing out with a needle, gave me followup antibiotics. The relief was immediate, even as the local anesthetic wore off, but they did have me stick around for awhile.

HOWEVER: without asking me whether I felt pain or felt it on a scale from 1 to 10 they also threw in a presciprtion for a high powerer painkiller, percocet i think it was, and prefilled it right there and just handed it to me with my discharge papers when they had said I could leave.

That royally pissed me off, to the extent of asking for the guy to come back and explain the rationale there about the drug. The guy shrugged and said sometimes there's a little pain later, but if you don't want it, just don't take it. l handed the bottle of pills back over the counter and asked for safe disposal and an amendment of my paperwork.

OK so I'm not a doctor but since they'd recommended I stay overnight in a local motel and call them later if I had any undue reaction to the procedure, I'd have started out by offering some otc pain reducer like tylenol or ibuprofen if I had indicated I was feeling pain by tmie the waiting period concluded. It just infuriated me to be offered an addictive painkiller without my having indicated any need for ANY painkiller and without their asking if I felt pain. Maybe I could see the approach the guy took on a crazy weekend night at 2am with the bars closing and the knife and gunshot cases flooding into the place, but it was a slow Tuesday afternoon...

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
OK so I'm not a doctor but since they'd recommended I stay overnight in a local motel and call them later if I had any undue reaction to the procedure, I'd have started out by offering some otc pain reducer like tylenol or ibuprofen if I had indicated I was feeling pain by tmie the waiting period concluded. It just infuriated me to be offered an addictive painkiller without my having indicated any need for ANY painkiller and without their asking if I felt pain. Maybe I could see the approach the guy took on a crazy weekend night at 2am with the bars closing and the knife and gunshot cases flooding into the place, but it was a slow Tuesday afternoon...

I had to take that once a very long time ago for some reason I can't even remember now. I don't recall any mention or warning of addictiveness. This is from a time before I read every piece of information available on prescribed medication prior to visiting a pharmacist.

D

Deleted member 199

Wow that is quite extreme. I don’t actually remember having any anaesthetic.. does the eyeball even have nerve endings that detect non light sensations?

of course that could just be the YOLO attitude here. When I stepped on a rusty nail they asked me in very broken English if I knew how deep it went and when my last tetanus shot was, then asked me just to wait. Next thing I know he lifts up my foot and starts digging around with a scalpel to open the wound so they can get some ‘tussin in it.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
The eye has been about the same today as it was yesterday -- not better, not worse...... Really looking forward to the appointment tomorrow! I don't think I have anything in there that shouldn't be, but I suppose that IS a possibility. Some pain, some wateriness, some sensitivity to light, the very unattractive redness, but no itching. It will be a relief to have the doc look at it, diagnose the actual problem and then provide me with whatever treatment and prescriptions I'll need.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The eye has been about the same today as it was yesterday -- not better, not worse...... Really looking forward to the appointment tomorrow! I don't think I have anything in there that shouldn't be, but I suppose that IS a possibility. Some pain, some wateriness, some sensitivity to light, the very unattractive redness, but no itching. It will be a relief to have the doc look at it, diagnose the actual problem and then provide me with whatever treatment and prescriptions I'll need.

Best of luck with it tomorrow.

lizkat

Reaction score
Getting my second jab! I hope. Would feel more confident if the appointment appeared in the app as well and not only on my piece of paper. But it’ll work out.

#TeamPfizer

You know the game of rock, paper, scissors, right? Paper covers rock, so just dodge any scissors and you'll skate right into the queue.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My blind wife kicking this poles ass for cracking her kneecap.
IMG_2833.jpeg

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
You know the game of rock, paper, scissors, right? Paper covers rock, so just dodge any scissors and you'll skate right into the queue.
Everything went fine! Probably thanks to your advise, managed to avoid all scissors. I‘ve been dealing with “rock, paper, scissors“ since before Alex Kidd in Miracle World, that probably helped too.

Despite this strategy I started getting a bit concerned when I hadn’t been called for ten minutes past my scheduled time. Then felt a bit calmer when a couple I recognized from my first shot showed up. Then a bit concerned again when the lady from that couple got called for within minutes of arriving. Man, what a rollercoaster!

Anyways, Sherlock Pumbaa deduced that the appointments were scheduled with specific nurses rather than arranged as one single queue. My nurse apparently had a gentleman with some paper issues to deal with right before me, thus a slight delay of twenty minutes or so. Now I have a sore arm, a vaccination card with dates and batch numbers for two doses filled in, as well as a fancy official document declaring my status as fully vaccinated. Utterly useless, don’t know anywhere that document can be used, but hey, it was offered as a memento. Who am I to refuse? :mrgreen:

Also got to enjoy the partial solar eclipse, 38% I think it got to. Bonus, hadn’t planned for that.

Hope everyone else is having a great day too! Decent brothers, kick-ass wives, sights for sore eyes, everyone should have a great day today!

U

User.191

Some more bedtime reading arrived today!

Attachments

• 07D93969-1DF3-4A08-97FE-F8DE1E554971.jpeg
    07D93969-1DF3-4A08-97FE-F8DE1E554971.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
U

User.191

Programming for quantum computers has to be the easiest thing in the world. All you have to do is type a bunch of random 1's and 0's, and it can be ANYTHING you want it to be!
It's even easier. Depending on my observations the answer is yes or no, or no or yes, or nes or yo...

And considering the probabilities that tachyons are very tightly influenced by quantum fields, I already know the answer before I need to ask it.

Cue appropriate relatively joke:

"Oi! Out! We don't serve your kind here!"
A tachyons walks into a bar...

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
So all we need to do is add an extra number to the binary set to define a bit in superposition. For the sake of conversation, we'll say it's 2, cuz that's a number, and appropriately the one after 1.

Therefore, all quantum programs are just this:

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222...

...and what does it do? If you're looking at it, it's a powerful spreadsheet application. If you're not, it's a self learning weather modeling algorithm.

As of right now, per the broad interpretation of the many worlds theory, I've already written these programs, plus at least a dozen more. You owe me a million bucks.

Man, I'm a goddamn genius.

lizkat

Reaction score
So all we need to do is add an extra number to the binary set to define a bit in superposition. For the sake of conversation, we'll say it's 2, cuz that's a number, and appropriately the one after 1.

Therefore, all quantum programs are just this:

222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222...

...and what does it do? If you're looking at it, it's a powerful spreadsheet application. If you're not, it's a self learning weather modeling algorithm.

As of right now, per the broad interpretation of the many worlds theory, I've already written these programs, plus at least a dozen more. You owe me a million bucks.

Man, I'm a goddamn genius.

Never forget that the real issue is that it's tricky to herd cats... dead or alive.

wishful quantum thinking.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
... and away it goes, DD/RT picked up by Carvana, I did a complete detail on it yesterday, one for the road so to speak, hahaha, the girl picking it up was like, "Geez, we normally don't get cars with a nice detail like this!"

It looked good driving away (test drive), then flatbedded away, Carvana has their own fancy car carrier. ACH fired off, should get paid by tomorrow, about 2-3 hours of effort, got to use it for another 6 weeks (so no "road trip" mileage on the new Jeep), had to float the purchase price for that same time, but the final net result: $9K profit.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Back from the Ophthalmologist and happily it is not an infection and not something more serious -- apparently there were a couple of eyelashes growing inward and causing the irritation in the lower eyelid and the eye at that point. She plucked them out and hopefully that will solve the problem! Weird -- usually I know when I've got a stray hair floating around in one of my eyes but I think due to the location this time I couldn't see anything obvious but could sure feel it. She gave me some ointment to apply three times per day and that should clear things up, too, over the next several days. I have another appointment for next week for her to take a look. Whew, I am relieved, to say the least, that it was nothing serious and the ointment already seems to be soothing the pain a bit.

Top Bottom
1 2