What are you doing today?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Played hooky most of the day, up early for the normal school schedule, then I made excessive coffee, did a few small work chores - dropped the wife off at the dentist, came home, waited, switched vehicles - picked her up in the Jeep, and we drove over to / then on, the beach, walked up to a terrific joint called the Beachcomber, had some terrific eats, jumped in the ocean for a few.

Got the little G some takeout for a treat, got home, did a short yoga practice, made a HUGE drink (I scored Absolut Vanilia for ~$15/750ml, I bought a case :D). Now we're queued up for AHS, and an early bedtime :D

The beach over on the island was super quiet ...

View attachment 8704
Where's the duck?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Trust me, you do not want to be in a bathroom with me after Taco Tuesday. Fair warning. :)

Side question for the females: In a bathroom, do you want/need a place to sit to do makeup, hair etc. We are redoing the bathrooms in my mom's house and she had a separate room with a sink on one side and a table on the other where she could sit and do her makeup etc. The realtor wants it all gone and turned into a closet. My wife says no one in our generation or younger wants to sit at a counter. I have no idea. Thoughts?
Last time Mrs AFB wore makeup I think we were getting married in 1998.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Listen to the realtor and put in the closet -- who sits down at a special place to put on makeup these days?!! The time of separate "dressing tables" or "vanities" is over. Put in a nice long, wide bathroom counter for space to keep cosmetics and such, and a good mirror and good lighting for the woman of the house to apply her makeup, fix her hair, etc. In all my years I have never sat down to apply makeup! Nowadays in my retired years I rarely wear makeup except when going out on special occasions and there have been far and few between of those lately!

An additional closet in that room will be much, much more useful in the long run and far more appealing to future buyers.....

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Been working until just now. Have a landscape guy putting in some trench around the house to aid in the level of the damp proof corse verses the garden. Been addressing some pointing as well. The house is 60+ years old so probably due some external TLC.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with this concept, but would like to learn more ...

:ROFLMAO:

I've been saying for years, my next car will be electric. Someone keeps telling me I don't want all electric, I want a hybrid. You know, in case I take one of those trips I never, ever take where there's no electric. It's like pulling teeth to get me out of the house for just an hour. What the hell would I be doing halfway across the state in the middle of nowhere?

For me the whole point is to get rid of the gas engine. Not add more junk on top of a gas engine. It's the maintenance I want to be done with.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I've been saying for years, my next car will be electric. Someone keeps telling me I don't want all electric, I want a hybrid. You know, in case I take one of those trips I never, ever take where there's no electric. It's like pulling teeth to get me out of the house for just an hour. What the hell would I be doing halfway across the state in the middle of nowhere?

For me the whole point is to get rid of the gas engine. Not add more junk on top of a gas engine. It's the maintenance I want to be done with.
I got an EV in 2016. 5 years of basically zero maintenance. I did have to refill the windshield washer fluid a couple times.

Highly recommended….

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Running around paying a few bills, purchasing some beer (haven't had beer in ages), bread (I had phoned yesterday, and had asked the French bakery to put some bread aside for me today), crisps, (chips to Our Transatlantic Cousins), and sparkling water.

And also bought my organic milk (and organic double cream).

My sashimi grade fish has just been delivered. Along with more sushi rice and pickled sushi ginger.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Where's the duck?

Ha! It's there on the dash, it's a constant in the universe. If it's removed, it will trigger some terrible cosmic events ... :oops:

Yeah, I think quite a few people will go EV in the next 2-3 years.

So as you may have read my posts in the car thread, we started with a PHEV Wrangler, but pretty quickly added a BEV (Tesla). The Wrangler is super fun, the hybrid system is geared towards power/performance, and having a vehicle that can run quietly / inexpensively plus run without any charging/charger access is pretty cool, but clearly, if your usage model supports a full BEV, that's better. I mean, there's is no BEV Jeep at the moment, it's scheduled to be introduced in '22/'23 (so it wasn't a PHEV over an EV by choice).

Actually our PHEV was kind of a "Let's try this" (we also wanted a Wrangler :D), but it only took about a month for me to totally get it, especially with the L2 charger at home, and realize a BEV was next. Since we agreed having two "convertibles" didn't make a ton of sense, and the car with the 15 second top mechanism not being a very good touring / foul weather vehicle, it didn't take me long to plug a Tesla into the equation.

I got an EV in 2016. 5 years of basically zero maintenance. I did have to refill the windshield washer fluid a couple times.

Highly recommended….

I totally forgot, and couldn't find where you talked about it, but what do you have? Wow, yeah, 2016, that's a decently early adoption.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If anyone reading this cares, when we say EV (Electric Vehicle), there's 3 implementations:

(ICE = Internal Combustion Engine)

HEV = Hybrid Electric Vehicle

This has both a electric/battery and an ICE and the battery charge is all done automatically, it charges itself using regenerative braking (the motor/motors spin like a generator) This design is to increase performance / decrease fuel consumption, it's run on both system based on pretty much "fixed" logic

PHEV = Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle

Same as above, both a electric/battery and an ICE, but in addition to regen braking (to charge), it has a charge port, and many designs allow manual override/control, so you can run it in purely electric mode. There's also a an in increase performance / decrease fuel consumption, but different models are designed with different goals in mind (performance vs. economy vs. off-road)

BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle

This vehicle has no ICE, it's all electric, it requires charging, uses zero fuel, the most well known example being Tesla.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Waiting to possibly order an iPhone.

Ran around a bit myself earlier today, some of the highlights being the souvlaki I had for lunch augmented by the restaurant’s impeccable salad bar, and two bottles of Trocadero plus a nice baguette I bought for later. Probably not as fancy as anything from the famed @Scepticalscribe French bakery, but my store’s local bakery is not too shabby.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Same. Not in a rush, my X works but I would like the significantly upgraded cameras, a fresh battery, and my intent is also a larger model (Pro Max).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I totally forgot, and couldn't find where you talked about it, but what do you have? Wow, yeah, 2016, that's a decently early adoption.
It’s a VW e-Golf. 100 miles range, nothing fancy, looks exactly like any other VW Golf except no tailpipe. It was $25K, so $17.5 with the federal tax credit… it was a steal. If you wanted something similar now, at a similar price, the main option would be the Mini Cooper EV at $30K.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Same. Not in a rush, my X works but I would like the significantly upgraded cameras, a fresh battery, and my intent is also a larger model (Pro Max).
So exactly the same, except that my X is an 8 Plus.

It works really well. With a battery replacement I’m pretty sure I could stretch it at least one more year. On the other hand, the cameras are significantly upgraded and Niece and Nephew are growing up fast…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It’s a VW e-Golf. 100 miles range, nothing fancy, looks exactly like any other VW Golf except no tailpipe. It was $25K, so $17.5 with the federal tax credit… it was a steal. If you wanted something similar now, at a similar price, the main option would be the Mini Cooper EV at $30K.

Oh yeah, duh, me knot 2 smert ...

I love the new ID.x platform VWs, too bad there's no current plans for the ID.3 in the US, that would fill that gap, but the ID.4 is pretty terrific.

And this is great!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Ran around a bit myself earlier today, some of the highlights being the souvlaki I had for lunch augmented by the restaurant’s impeccable salad bar, and two bottles of Trocadero plus a nice baguette I bought for later. Probably not as fancy as anything from the famed @Scepticalscribe French bakery, but my store’s local bakery is not too shabby.

Sounds delicious. Souvakli; yum.

Ah, yes.

The French bakery (French owned, French staffed) - it also includes a small café, with the characteristic handful of tables outside - is the sort of place that some of the award winning (French) restaurants in the region (okay, most of them have been shut since the advent of Covid) used to get their bread from. That is good enough for me.

Plus: Staff in the locality (local clothes shops, the cheesemonger's) all swore by it for coffee, cakes, and, yes, bread. So, my initial recommendations were all word of mouth, which I, in turn, also pass on.

And, more recently, when he was down for a visit a few weeks ago, Decent Brother - on my recommendation - had a coffee and baguette sandwich (ham and cheese, I think), while sitting at one of the small tables and cane chairs (very French) outside the bakery & café, and was stunned by how extraordinarily good (i.e. how French) it was.

Actually, the French bakery is so good, and so well known, that, surprisingly often, some of the breads are sold out by 9 a.m. (it opens at eight).

Thus, I usually phone in advance; sometimes, they still have bread left, which I may ask them to hold for me, and I will head in to collect it; other times, more often, they are sold out, and then, I simply place an order for the following day. Today's order (campagne baguette and rye bread) was already nicely bagged, ready and waiting for me, when I turned up to collect it.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Done. 13 Pro Max, Silver, 128GB

Additional conversation moved into the Tech >> Cali Dreamin thread ...

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Side question for the females: In a bathroom, do you want/need a place to sit to do makeup, hair etc. We are redoing the bathrooms in my mom's house and she had a separate room with a sink on one side and a table on the other where she could sit and do her makeup etc. The realtor wants it all gone and turned into a closet. My wife says no one in our generation or younger wants to sit at a counter. I have no idea. Thoughts?
Go with the closet. You can do your makeup anywhere with good lighting, and it’s easier doing it while standing. But there’s never enough closet space.

Top Bottom
1 2