iPhone
If the question is did you score anything, I'll say ... maybe :D

66032133390__3A93AFD9-4FA5-4905-9866-63D81EB51579 2.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
If the question is did you score anything, I'll say ... maybe :D

View attachment 10269

This use of the verb "score": What does it mean, in this context?

In British English, the verb to "score" is usually used in the context of scoring a goal in a football match.

And, it has also been known to appear in (triumphant male) slang to describe a successful sexual conquest.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
In this context, I'd say it's happening across something nice by total surprise.

"I was out wandering around the flea market, and you won't believe what I ended up scoring!"
Happening across?

Not buying or selling something?

Okay; thanks - I was unsure of the meaning, and, although I have seen it written, didn't quite understand what was meant by this term.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My usage is pretty common, and pretty prolific in heist/true detective type books and films, one of the most famous novels in that genre, out of Australia:

51qQWXs6DwL.jpg

Per Webster: success in obtaining something (such as money or drugs) especially through illegal or irregular means

Maybe if you say it in a gangster voice ... :D

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So that being a commercial delivery truck, I normally wouldn't be able to "acquire" anything off it, but a conversation about my Tesla led to, maybe some irregular distributions :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
...milkshake beer? No. NO!

The "milk" in beers is usually means crystalized milk sugars (and are sometimes caramelized like a really dark malt would be), where they're making it slightly sweeter, it's not uncommon in porters and stouts like this (Left Hand stuff is excellent):

fa08362a9ef59e3f27a1e3595f592bf4.png

Here's there other product I get on occasion, kind of outlines the taste / brewing a little more:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
The "milk" in beers is usually means crystalized milk sugars (and are sometimes caramelized like a really dark malt would be), where they're making it slightly sweeter, it's not uncommon in porters and stouts like this (Left Hand stuff is excellent):

Here's there other product I get on occasion, kind of outlines the taste / brewing a little more:

Left Hand Brewing? Hell yeah! Sign me up! I'm so damn sick of right-handed bottles.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This use of the verb "score": What does it mean, in this context?

In British English, the verb to "score" is usually used in the context of scoring a goal in a football match.

And, it has also been known to appear in (triumphant male) slang to describe a successful sexual conquest.
-
In the USA I'd say "to score" -outside the literal context of sports events-- means "to acquire, to get".

For example:

dropped by Sam's place; he was out in the garden, I scored a couple decent eggplants.​
stopped in at The Abbey last night, saw you trying to score with Cathy, good luck with that.​

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
-
In the USA I'd say "to score" -outside the literal context of sports events-- means "to acquire, to get".

For example:

dropped by Sam's place; he was out in the garden, I scored a couple decent eggplants.​
stopped in at The Abbey last night, saw you trying to score with Cathy, good luck with that.​

Ah, excellent.

To acquire, or to get - in that context - makes sense, now.

Thanks; much appreciated.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

An excellent beverage; I managed to lay hands on that particular beer a few years ago.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
An excellent beverage; I managed to lay hands on that particular beer a few years ago.

One of the singles we picked up the other day is a Left Hand, it's this one:

cdd148e5f7b3313898975c558c658af9.

Sounds like a desert beer :)

re: Singles

Many of the larger liquor stores or smaller beer specialty shops, offer an option to buy less than a whole pack, so they have per beer pricing and loose 6-pack holders. Total Wine had at least 100 loose options!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
One of the singles we picked up the other day is a Left Hand, it's this one:

cdd148e5f7b3313898975c558c658af9.

Sounds like a desert beer :)

re: Singles

Many of the larger liquor stores or smaller beer specialty shops, offer an option to buy less than a whole pack, so they have per beer pricing and loose 6-pack holders. Total Wine had at least 100 loose options!
Dessert beer or not, it sounds just perfect for this time of year.

Do enjoy.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

I'll give anything a try, but I have to admit that the idea of milk in beer in general isn't doing much to impress me.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like I will be setting up the
I'll give anything a try, but I have to admit that the idea of milk in beer in general isn't doing much to impress me.

I knew a kid in elementary school who used to drink milk and Pepsi. 🤮

Now I like a root beer or Coke float as much as the next person, but just straight milk & Pepsi, No.

Not really a big fan of beer either. A light Pilsner is about my limit - think Corona Extra. With a lime.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Well, it is not "milk" exactly, more a marketing thing to suggest something rich and sweet (courtesy crystallised milk sugars).

Mind you, those so-called "ice cream" beers don't really do it for me.

Top Bottom
1 2