Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Shot this coming back across the bridge today after school drop off:

IMG_0793.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Freezing today. It’s been like that all day. Freezing fog. Heavy frost. Would have made for some beautiful photos if I wasn’t stuck to my work computer all day.

Yes, very cold and miserable. Agreed.

The only saving grace is that the days are becoming just a little longer, and the sun is setting a little later, for there is what my mother would have described as "a bit of a stretch in the evenings."

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

The only saving grace is that the days are becoming just a little longer, and the sun is setting a little later, for there is what my mother would have described as "a bit of a stretch in the evenings."

Oh yes, the return of the light for longer in January is my favorite "change of season" even if it also means the advent of deep winter and being housebound more than is usual for me. More time for books and movies though, in the afternoons and evenings, and the mornings offer wonderful light in which to finalize fabric selections in the studio.

I've stocked up on tea and coffee too for extra coziness against the cold, so... "let it snow!" We haven't had more than a few inches at time all season so far. Time will tell with a still-uncertain forecast for effects of a nor'easter that may or may not get up here Monday. Only thing I'll miss from the warmer parts of the season are the then more frequent re-ups on fresh produce. Now's the time of year my frozen veggies, all that stuff in the back pantry and items in the root veggie cabinet in the cellar finally get to shine.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

Setting sun? Did it ever come out? It’s been foggy here most of the day. But yes it’s not as dark in the evenings as it was.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Setting sun? Did it ever come out? It’s been foggy here most of the day. But yes it’s not as dark in the evenings as it was.
Well, it is as dark (okay, the sun - when it appears is somewhat brighter) in the evenings as it was; it is just that "dark" starts later, and that is extraordinarily welcome.

@Like @lizkat, while I detest the fierce and frigid cold of this part of deep winter, I thrill to the promise of the lengthening days.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
In the DC area we are expecting rather nasty, wintry-mixed weather conditions on Sunday so I prudently went to the grocery store yesterday to stock up, as I figured it would be very busy today. I'd been in there briefly on Wednesday and was shocked to find a lot of shelves absolutely empty, thanks to the combination of distribution/delivery, weather conditions, staffing issues due to COVID-19 and the current surge with Omicron. Really startling to see in person, even though I'd read in the paper about this. Thankfully yesterday, properly armed with my shopping list (which I hadn't had with me the day before) and already knowing that some things were probably not going to be available, I did OK with my modest needs and came home with most of what was on the list, although not everything. Whatever happens on Sunday and Monday I'm prepared to be hanging out at home for the duration, no need to go anywhere....

I am definitely noticing how it is staying light just a wee bit longer every evening now, and I'm more than happy to see this! Heck, we're almost midway through January already, February is a short month anyway, and before we know it, March will be arriving with its promise of spring and nice weather. Can't come too soon as far as I'm concerned. Bought a bouquet of cheery yellow small tulips at the store, and they're definitely a reminder of what lies ahead for us once we can just get through January and February.....

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I am hoping, hoping, hoping that we won't get more than three or four inches, if that, and also that the promised rain comes along afterward and washes all the snow accumulation away anyhow! Regardless, I am prepared for whatever happens by having been to the grocery store and stocked up, plus having backed my car into the parking space here in the condo parking lot for easier getting out if need be later on if there is still snow and ice on the ground when I need to go somewhere. Regardless of what happens, since Monday is a federal holiday anyway, many people around here won't need to worry about having to dig out their cars in order to go to work, or even need to get online to work from home, and that's good.

You have my sympathy, Herdfan, and I hope that maybe this storm won't be quite as bad as is being direly predicted. Fingers crossed!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm not a huge ice cream person (sweets in general, a few things make me crazy like the wife's homemade chocolate chips).

... but we got a couple of to go quarts of ice cream from Kilwin's, holy smokes, it's insane, I mean, we've gotten a cup here and there, but really chilling at home where I can really appreciate it, wow. It's sort of silly expensive, and not something we'd keep "in stock" and I'm sure it's wicked caloric, but holy shit, toasted coconut and strawberry chunk ... o_O

IMG_0801_1200.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2