What have you bought recently?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Perfect backing fabric to finish a quilt for a kid who loves the zoo! Sweet sloths?! Never thought I'd see something like this and wasn't looking for it but there it was so I glommed onto a couple yards of it. Still laughing at the fortuitous find. $11.20 a yard though, I better measure 3 times before I cut it.

OK then...  sweet sloths! .jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Perfect backing fabric to finish a quilt for a kid who loves the zoo! Sweet sloths?! Never thought I'd see something like this and wasn't looking for it but there it was so I glommed onto a couple yards of it. Still laughing at the fortuitous find. $11.20 a yard though, I better measure 3 times before I cut it.

Do you do the quilting yourself or know someone with a longarm? My mom did quilts for years until her eyesight got too bad, but she never "quilted" them. Our best friend couple, she has a longarm and will do 2-3 quilts a week during the school year (she is a teacher) and is doing twice that this summer.

What kind of pattern is the other side.

D

Deleted member 199

Topic title is self explanatory to serve a crass celebration of consumerism.

most recent purchases were just ordering grocery type items, stocking up on dry/packaged goods up via online ordering essentially, because shit is starting to hit the fan here.

Sorry to ruin the mood.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Really hoping things don't come to that again.
Semi-related, I order at Qdoba on lunch break every couple of weeks. Today, there was a sign on the door saying it’s closed except for online orders, which they’ll bring to your car.

Problem is staffing, they told me. A Whole Foods just opened around the corner and likely sucked them dry, I’m guessing.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Semi-related, I order at Qdoba on lunch break every couple of weeks. Today, there was a sign on the door saying it’s closed except for online orders, which they’ll bring to your car.

Problem is staffing, they told me. A Whole Foods just opened around the corner and likely sucked them dry, I’m guessing.
We're facing something similar in CA at least as far as restaurant staffing goes, most of them are so short staffed that they have to cut services as a result.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Do you do the quilting yourself or know someone with a longarm? My mom did quilts for years until her eyesight got too bad, but she never "quilted" them. Our best friend couple, she has a longarm and will do 2-3 quilts a week during the school year (she is a teacher) and is doing twice that this summer.

What kind of pattern is the other side.

I sometimes tie or quilt wall hangings or small (receiving blanket sized) baby quilts, but the rest I send out to a long arm quilter my sister recommended and who has done some great quilting on larger quilts.

The top of the one I'm going to use that backing for is just 5" squares, some pastel prints alternated with squares of a unifying matte finish sand colored fabric. I don't want the kid's mom to be afraid to go ahead and throw it in the wash and just wear the thing out, and in my experience the best way on that is to keep the quilt top pretty simple.

Same with cat quilts :love: although there I tend to use up odd-sized scraps so the top might end up looking more "designed" when really I was just making do with what I had to work with. I used up a truckload of very small light-colored squares once as the background for a kitty quilt when I was learning how to make free-form appliqué letters. The rest of it was just cuts of some zany border fabric with cats and bird houses on a landscape. Called the thing Nap Zone. Of course it was a hit with the targeted feline, since like a lot of older cats he was in the nap zone about 20 out of 24 hours a day,

LoganOnNapZone.jpg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Flowers for my wife's birthday.

A set of mystery novels for my wife's birthday.

(Don't worry. My turn will come.) 😏

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Our Chipotle had the same issue. Carryout only. Then they closed for a couple of days. But Chipotle/Qdoba is NOT car food.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not pulled the trigger yet, but may be buying a new SXS.

Went out with our neighbors today in our old one and damn if it didn't act up. It seems to spend as much time in the shop or me waiting for parts so it is time to move on.

Looking at the RZR Pro XP4 Ultimate. My dealer actually has one. In stock. So we will see.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
While waiting for the new camera body that I want to come into inventory at the local dealer (supply chain and distribution is limited with this anyway and it doesn't help that there has been significantly high demand for it), I got to thinking about how maybe some other accessory items might also be in short supply. So I checked the local store's inventory and thought, "yeah, I would NOT be happy if the day I'm in there to buy this wonderful new camera body (Sony Alpha 1) they say, "so sorry, but we don't have this, that or the other accessory item in stock right now...." I am a big fan of supporting my local shops but I also am a big fan of having the accessories which might be needed with a particular purchase ready to also buy at the same time so that I can use them together.

Well, this took me down a rabbit hole, as one of the items I would need with the new camera body would be a new camera strap, and while at first I got online and ordered and bought a strap in the same brand which I've used for years and always loved, and which I know the local shop doesn't carry, I became tempted to take a look at another brand, one which has been enthusiastically used and recommended by other photographers..... Heh. Just over a week later I seem to have accumulated a new heavy-duty strap for my A7R IV, a "lite" version for the lighter-weight RX10 IV, and a thin, but still rather sturdy "leash" for my compact RX100 VII...... Oh, and the wrist strap which works really well on two out of the three cameras as well. Uh, oh, yeah, I did also buy a second heavy-duty strap for the camera body which I still don't have. So I'm more than covered when it comes to camera straps and mixing-and-matching and shifting things around. LOL! And all I started out to do was to buy one camera strap in anticipation of the arrival of the new camera......! I'm really pleased, though; I now understand the enthusiasm of other photographers. The Peak Design system really is quite ingenious and very flexible and versatile, which is something which really appeals to me.

Ah, but there's more..... So yeah, since I'm planning on buying the Sony Alpha 1 camera, while the standard SD cards will work in that camera, in order to get the full benefits it offers one needs to buy the latest, fastest new memory card, the CF Express Type A card (Sonys use this, other brands use Type B)..... I thought about this and had a mental image of standing in the camera shop clutching the box with the new camera inside and hearing, "sorry, we're out of the CF Express cards right now....." Added a CF Express card to the online order.

Since CF Express is a new format, of course older memory card readers aren't going to work with it, right? I then included a Sony CF Express Card/SD Card reader to the order as well.... The good news about some of this stuff is that I can use it right now with my existing gear, which is helpful. The CF Express card, no, but the reader works nicely with my current SD cards as well.

Everything from the online vendor has arrived and is now just waiting for the camera itself. I am hoping that the local shop will get one in pretty soon, such as in the next week or so. I am definitely intending to purchase the camera locally, as I feel strongly about the importance of keeping local businesses up and running.

D

Deleted member 199

I have to admit quietly that I also have a Tilley hat. I only use it in the summer though on very hot days when I am doing stuff at the stables.

It seems like installing proper air-conditioning is something that we will have to consider, despite living on the south / south west coast of jolly, old England. Yesterday my study reached 34.5 Celsius, which makes it quite unp. It took some driving around to find anywhere that had stock, but I walked out with one of these.
Is the air conditioning related to the stables, or are those two different lines of thought?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to admit quietly that I also have a Tilley hat. I only use it in the summer though on very hot days when I am doing stuff at the stables.

It seems like installing proper air-conditioning is something that we will have to consider, despite living on the south / south west coast of jolly, old England. Yesterday my study reached 34.5 Celsius, which makes it quite unpleasant. It took some driving around to find anywhere that had stock, but I walked out with one of these.

View attachment 7271
I purchased a portable AC on wheels with a similar profile with dual vents that fit into a window for hurricane season and the next long term power outage, that purchase was accompanied by a portable generator and 50 Gal of gas in the garage.

Top Bottom
1 2