What have you bought recently?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I purchased a portable AC on wheels with a similar profile with dual vents that fit into a window for hurricane season and the next long term power outage, that purchase was accompanied by a portable generator and 50 Gal of gas in the garage.

Yeah, we have a 12,000 portable (er, "portable-ish") AC, has a return/circulator that hooks into a window, we figured we'd lock down and cool the master bedroom with everyone in that one room (since it's roomy, has a self-contained bathroom, etc.) We've never even opened it, hopefully, we never will :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Part 1 (of 3)
Just bought a Kenmore Refrigerator (made by Whirlpool I think), 26cf, $1800 +$400 for a 3 year warranty. Unlike other manufacturers this only came with a 1 year manufacturer‘s warranty. French doors and bottom freezer drawer. Hopefully I won’t regret the choice.

Why Kenmore? Besides having relied on Kenmore with outstanding results for the last 4 decades. It was one of the few white refrigerator colors we could find to match our other kitchen appliances. The current Kenmore is 10 years old, still works great and will be moved to the garage For extra storage. Looked at a Samsung, but I’ve read a lot of bad reviews about the ice maker in them. Looked at a Westinghouse at Costco for $2200, but only came in stainless.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just bought a Kenmore Refrigerator (made by Whrirlpool I think), 26cf, $1800 +$400 for a 3 year warranty. Unlike other manufacturers this only came with a 1 year manufacturer‘s warranty. French doors and bottom freezer drawer. Hopefully I won’t regret the choice.
That’s the design I want! I detest our current fridge, which husband purchased while I was away at AJROTC camp and could not come home to help make the decision when the old fridge died suddenly.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just bought a Kenmore Refrigerator (made by Whrirlpool I think), 26cf, $1800 +$400 for a 3 year warranty. Unlike other manufacturers this only came with a 1 year manufacturer‘s warranty. French doors and bottom freezer drawer. Hopefully I won’t regret the choice.

Why Kenmore? Besides having g relied on Kenmore with outstanding results for the last 4 decades. It was one of the few white refrigerator colors we could find to match our other kitchen appliances. The current fridge is 10 years old, still works great and will be moved to the garage For extra storage. Looked at a Samsung, but I’ve read a lot of bad reviews about the ice maker in them. Looked at a Westinghouse at Costco for $2200, but only came in stainless.

Yeah, some of those "old school" brands still offer pretty solid bang-for-the-buck, we've found, if you make it past a year with a large appliance, it'll probably last for a long time. The extra fridge is super handy, overflow beverages, extra freezer storage, etc., we did the same like 15+ years ago, though the old fridge did crap out / get flooded a few years back went without the extra, but then I added a small fridge to the office (mostly for beer), and we now have an extra mid-sized chest freezer in the garage (~7cu/ft).

Also, fuck Samsung. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, when we go with a new fridge we want a freezer on the bottom, and specifically with a secondary ice maker (a couple of models offer this).

NEED MORE ICE.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s the design I want! I detest our current fridge, which husband purchased while I was away at AJROTC camp and could not come home to help make the decision when the old fridge died suddenly.
Our current Kenmore is French doors with the freezer on the left and fridge on the right. It has always seemed like it’s tough to fit the frozen stuff in there as compared to a full width bin.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, when we go with a new fridge we want a freezer on the bottom, and specifically with a secondary ice maker (a couple of models offer this).

NEED MORE ICE.
I remember looking at fridges a couple years back and some I definitely did not like the ice maker. I like being able to open the freezer, flip up a lid, and pull ice out with my hand. Not sure we can do that with the new one…it does not arrive until August so am going to see if I can find one in a store somewhere.

Last edited:

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Just bought a Kenmore Refrigerator (made by Whirlpool I think), 26cf, $1800 +$400 for a 3 year warranty. Unlike other manufacturers this only came with a 1 year manufacturer‘s warranty. French doors and bottom freezer drawer. Hopefully I won’t regret the choice.

Why Kenmore? Besides having relied on Kenmore with outstanding results for the last 4 decades. It was one of the few white refrigerator colors we could find to match our other kitchen appliances. The current Kenmore is 10 years old, still works great and will be moved to the garage For extra storage. Looked at a Samsung, but I’ve read a lot of bad reviews about the ice maker in them. Looked at a Westinghouse at Costco for $2200, but only came in stainless.
We have a 6-year-old Samsung refrigerator and have had the ice issue. Fortunately, Samsung replaced the ice maker, but we used bags of ice for about a year before I realized it would be free to have it fixed. Between that and a Samsung dryer that has needed multiple (paid) repairs, I won't buy another Samsung appliance. They are the best looking, in my opinion, but just not worth the trouble we've had.

Regarding the refrigerator, I do wish that my wife had let us go with a counter-depth model. We now have a hand-me-down extra refrigerator/freezer in the garage, so maybe next time I'll be able to convince her.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have to admit quietly that I also have a Tilley hat. I only use it in the summer though on very hot days when I am doing stuff at the stables.

On a separate note, it seems like installing proper air-conditioning is something that we will have to consider, despite living on the south / south west coast of jolly, old England. Yesterday my study reached 34.5 Celsius, which makes it quite unpleasant. It took some driving around to find anywhere that had stock, but I walked out with one of these.

View attachment 7271

Is the climate warming beyond normal temps for you there? I know in the bay area it now gets far more hot days than it did even 20 years ago and most homes there do not have central air and now need AC almost every year, as portable units can be hard to find now.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Refridgerator Part2
After discussing this here, and thinking about ice makers, and looking at a page of reviews for the Kenmore model we ordered, that 50% of the ratings were 1 star, from broke, to making noises, to parts unavailable, to delayed delivery 4 times, and contrary to “being made my whirlpool”, a comment that this model was actually made in Korea (Da Woo, or something like that) I canceled the order.

And to talk about ice makers some more. I really like our current ice maker. As I said, I can open the freezer half door, flip open a lid and there is a large bucket of ice Available to grab if I don’t want to dispense it,

When we looked at fridges a couple years ago where the entire top is fridge, with French doors, I remember not liking that the ice maker seemed to be inaccessible, and where is the ice stored? Anyway we are heading out in a minute to visit a couple of appliance dealers to look some more. My price goal is under $2500, and a bit irked our 10yr old French door 26cf fridge was only $1500. But there has been no inflation. 👀

Last edited:

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
I just purchased these thanks to a Tmobile promotion, my 6th (7th?) pair of athletic shoes I've purchased this year. I may have a problem.

LQDCELL-Optic-Sheer-Men%27s-Training-Shoes

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
You run one hell of a lot or buy cheap shoes? ;)
As only one pair are for actually running in, I'm pretty sure I just have a problem. :)

I wouldn't call myself a "sneakerhead," as I don't like many of the shoes that are dominant in that subculture, but I do love athletic shoes. I worked in athletic shoe stores for about 4 years through high school and college.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I purchased a portable AC on wheels with a similar profile with dual vents that fit into a window for hurricane season and the next long term power outage, that purchase was accompanied by a portable generator and 50 Gal of gas in the garage.

Make sure to Stabil 360 that gas. It let's you store it longer and neutralizes the ethanol.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Refrigerator Part2
After discussing this here, and thinking about ice makers, and looking at a page of reviews for the Kenmore model we ordered, that 50% of the ratings were 1 star, from broke, to making noises, to parts unavailable, to delayed delivery 4 times, and contrary to “being made my whirlpool”, a comment that this model was actually made in Korea (Da Woo, or something like that) I canceled the order.

And to talk about ice makers some more. I really like our current ice maker. As I said, I can open the freezer half door, flip open a lid and there is a large bucket of ice Available to grab if I don’t want to dispense it,

When we looked at fridges a couple years ago where the entire top is fridge, with French doors, I remember not liking that the ice maker seemed to be inaccessible, and where is the ice stored? Anyway we are heading out in a minute to visit a couple of appliance dealers to look some more. My price goal is under $2500, and a bit irked our 10yr old French door 26cf fridge was only $1500. But there has been no inflation. 👀
Refrigerator Part 3
The wife screwed me, which is normally a good thing but this time…
Could not find a white fridge on display period. However at Lowes we found a Frigidaire 26.8cf on sale for $2114!! It has a nice big accessible ice making compartment. Now the screwing part, although we wanted white, I would have accepted a stainless finish, but my honney insisted on black stainless which was not on sale + :cry:$300. However the extended warranty was 5 years for the same price as the 3 year at Sears.com, there is no delivery charge, so I just paid an extra $200, I guess not that bad a screwing. :)

Excellent price: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire...syCare-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000225693

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Make sure to Stabil 360 that gas. It let's you store it longer and neutralizes the ethanol.
What I did last year was buy the gas in Oct and put it in the cars in Jan. This year bought it in June and will put it in cars in Jan. I wonder how long it takes gas to go bad?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

NEED MORE ICE.

I am done with ice makers in the fridge. We have a Kitchenaid that has the bin in the door. But if you open the door too often the ice can melt and then refreeze and then won't dispense. Also run the risk of stripping the gears if it freezes in the chute. (Don't ask me how I know)

We will be going with an undercounter maker in the next kitchen.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
What I did last year was buy the gas in Oct and put it in the cars in Jan. This year bought it in June and will put it in cars in Jan. I wonder how long it takes gas to go bad?

Should be good. The other issue is the alcohol in the gas. Not a problem in fuel injected engines, but if it has a carb, it gets either Stabil 360 or I buy non-ethanol gas. The alcohol can damage the seals. So after you run the generator, turn the fuel off and let it run until it quits.

D

Deleted member 199

I am done with ice makers in the fridge. We have a Kitchenaid that has the bin in the door. But if you open the door too often the ice can melt and then refreeze and then won't dispense. Also run the risk of stripping the gears if it freezes in the chute. (Don't ask me how I know)

We will be going with an undercounter maker in the next kitchen.
Yep we had a huge (by our standards anyway - weight was 120Kg / 265lbs empty - two door side by side fridge:freezer with an ice maker in the freezer door.

the ice maker got frozen up one winter (I mean, Thai winter to still like 12c/53f at the coldest overnight) and it was never the same again. Lived without the ice maker for several years.

a few months ago it just shit the bed. Compressor is fucked. Outside compressor warranty and the shitty part: not making that compressor anymore.

we bought a separate dedicated upright freezer (drawers > shelves in a freezer!) and a pretty good sized fridge/freezer combo (pure fridges literally do not exist here outside of drinks fridges with a glass door).

Smother in Law took the fucked fridge and the tech installed a “close but no cigar” compressor for her. Fine, not my problem I don’t have to find a way to dispose of it now.

Top Bottom
1 2