What have you bought recently?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I bought something today that I have not bought in years. But it became available so I jumped at it.

I bought tickets to the NASCAR Federated Auto Parts 400 Salute to First Responders at Richmond International Raceway. Man that is a mouthful.

The race is on the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Hard to imagine a more patriotic setting. :)

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
CO2 tank refill. Full one on the kegerator, one to spare. I'd say I'm prepping for a power outage, but this doesn't use power.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I bought tickets to the NASCAR [...]

We may hit up the 24 Hour (at Daytona) next year, it's been a few cycles. Not into NASCAR, but I appreciate live motorsports events (nothing beats seeing/hearing/smelling it in person).

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I bought something today that I have not bought in years. But it became available so I jumped at it.

I bought tickets to the NASCAR Federated Auto Parts 400 Salute to First Responders at Richmond International Raceway. Man that is a mouthful.

The race is on the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Hard to imagine a more patriotic setting. :)
I’ve been to the Quicken Loans 400 at the Michigan International Speedway a few times…

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
had to buy two new door locks that work on HomeKit and a HomePod mini to work as a hub for it all.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Oh, the whole beer related contraption :D
6E27C54C-B62A-4C14-8D22-B93764C5D195.jpeg
Spare tank, tank in use, 4 taps. The refrigerator requires power, unfortunately.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Oh shit, so you can run 4 different kegs concurrently?
Yes. There's easy room inside for 3-5 gallon Corney kegs, but 4 gets tight. This year I got a 2.5 gallon Torpedo, I might get another so I can have room for two test batches at a time.

U

User.191

Jesus, y'all so bloody practical. Me, brought myself a case of Sweet Wine - well, ourselves since the wife enjoys them just as much as I do!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes. There's easy room inside for 3-5 gallon Corney kegs, but 4 gets tight. This year I got a 2.5 gallon Torpedo, I might get another so I can have room for two test batches at a time.

Nice. Torpedo is pretty spectacular, it's a "go to" for me. Draft delivery really opens it up.

Jesus, y'all so bloody practical. Me, brought myself a case of Sweet Wine - well, ourselves since the wife enjoys them just as much as I do!

I like a sweet wine (some folks don't), in our neck of the woods, we have a winery that makes everything with muscadine grapes, that tend to be sweet-ish.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's an entry level portable air conditioner at 262.5 GBP. But I didn't have any choice because it was the only unit left in stock anywhere in my area. It works better than I expected, but not as well as I hoped.

Issue 1 - Thermodynamics

Heat rises and the astute amongst us would notice that fixed air-conditioners are generally mounted near the ceiling. This way they can pump out the hot air and replace this with cool air, which is denser and goes to the bottom and thus the cycle repeats. THERMODYNAMICS!

This little unit does not appear to have magic and unfortunately needs to conform to the laws of thermodynamics. This means that initially it was only cooling the area up to the height of the intake. My feet and knees felt great and if I worked sitting on the carpet it was quite nice. My cat also seemed to enjoy it. Clearly it would be tricky to hang it high up in the ceiling, so I ended up using a picnic table to raise it. Now my entire body feels the effect when I am sitting down at my desk.

Issue 2 - exhaust

You need to exhaust the hot air via the supplied duct and there is nice little expandable piece of plastic that you can mount on the window and clip the duct onto. However, depending on how your window opens, you may not be able to just have that little piece sticking out without the window open and letting in hot air anyway.

This picture shows that if you have sliding windows, then the system can work very well. If you windows swing open in certain ways (like mine), then the system will not be able to operate at full efficiency

View attachment 7457

Conclusions

After I put it on the table and, despite the compromises, it still makes a worthwhile difference. I have an Oregon Scientific "weather station" thingy that also senses and displays indoor temperature. My approximately 215 square foot study was reaching 34.5 degrees C in the afternoons. The unit was about to keep the study at around 27 degrees C (it was set to 22). This is the difference between sweating profusely and being a little bit uncomfortable, but still able to work. The study catches all of the afternoon sun and the unit was able to keep it at around 24 C until 1pm. Normally it would be around 30 C by this time.

It works even better in the evenings, since the open window is not letting in very hot air constantly, so I used it to make the bedrooms bearable for sleeping, even though they are bigger than the unit is really capable of dealing with according to the specs.
Good to know. Our windows don't slide. They pivot open on a hinge at the top. Trouble with a purchase like this, is you need it for 2-3 weeks a year and have to store it the other 50. Its fine right now. 22.5 in my study. But like yours, mine heats up in the afternoon.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Nice. Torpedo is pretty spectacular, it's a "go to" for me. Draft delivery really opens it up.

I like a sweet wine (some folks don't), in our neck of the woods, we have a winery that makes everything with muscadine grapes, that tend to be sweet-ish.

My wife’s grandpa made amazing sweet wines. We generally have a sweet wine on hand.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Ordered this DAC / Amp recommended elsewhere...

Not sure if I notice a big difference audio wise, but one big difference that is noticeable is that I can use my Mass Drop headphones with my iPad Pro. Without an amp the iPad couldn't drive the headphones, but I wasn't aware of a portable amp with a USB cable.

51360321433_2b8ebb4a83_z.jpg

It of course works easily with my Mini, even connected to the Apple Keyboard, and easily recognized as 'Groove' an output device.

51361111705_c2a37f4588_z.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2