What have you bought recently?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am done with ice makers in the fridge. We have a Kitchenaid that has the bin in the door. But if you open the door too often the ice can melt and then refreeze and then won't dispense. Also run the risk of stripping the gears if it freezes in the chute. (Don't ask me how I know)

We will be going with an undercounter maker in the next kitchen.
This Frigidaire we bought the ice maker itself is not in the door, but recessed into the fridge connected via a shoot for door dispensing. Definitely did not want one in the door.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Should be good. The other issue is the alcohol in the gas. Not a problem in fuel injected engines, but if it has a carb, it gets either Stabil 360 or I buy non-ethanol gas. The alcohol can damage the seals. So after you run the generator, turn the fuel off and let it run until it quits.
This article says ethanol gas is only good for 3 months?

I know last time I had the gas stored for about 5 months and it was crystal clear when I poured it into the cars. It will be longer this time, so I’ll buy some stabilizer, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks!

U

User.191

This year’s been our year for kitchen shit. First the aging crock pot needed to be replaced becasue one of the handles broke. Next fridge/freezer finally spluttered itself to death - the replacement died within 24 hours but it’s replacement seems to be doing OK.

Then three months ago the oven did it’s last Self Cleaning cycle. We finally settled on a replacement but had to wait a couple of weeks before we could order it because we had to head out of town for a few days. By the time we’d got back it looks like GE had yanked it from sale because we couldn;t find it anywhere, no matter how far I looked. So we found a slightly bit more expensive one that we’ve been very happy with.

And on Prime day I finally picked up a replacement for the Crock Pot - and I went for an Instant Pot whcih as imprewssed the heebies out of me - a whole roast chicken in 45 minutes and buttery and soft salmon in 5 minutes.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our current Kenmore is French doors with the freezer on the left and fridge on the right. It has always seemed like it’s tough to fit the frozen stuff in there as compared to a full width bin.
Exactly! Can’t fit a box of pizza in there.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am done with ice makers in the fridge. We have a Kitchenaid that has the bin in the door. But if you open the door too often the ice can melt and then refreeze and then won't dispense. Also run the risk of stripping the gears if it freezes in the chute. (Don't ask me how I know)

We will be going with an undercounter maker in the next kitchen.
My last fridge had an ice maker and a valve in it gave out when I wasn’t home… hello water damage! After that I just unplugged the water line from the fridge and didn’t use the ice maker at all. So when the fridge eventually wore out some years later, I replaced it with one sans ice maker. Turns out such models are generally cheaper too. I’m very happy with the decision. Refilling ice cube trays is really not a lot of work compared to dealing with an ice maker disaster…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Consumer refrigerator ice makers have always been terrible. I mean, $500 or $3500, the design engineering has been __poop__, including the ice "design" itself.

Until recently!

Finally, there are product that make proper square cubes, and a buddy has one that makes round "craft" style ice, OMG, I started weeping, look at this:

1626885359022.png

I'm ready to push the existing one into the ocean, and order.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Six jars of India Relish, because could not find it in local stores for some reason right now, so looked in Amazon et voila! I was so happy!!

Unfortunately two days later got a terse announcement from UPS that the jars (yeah, it's pickled in jars) or whatever was left of them were en route back to Kentucky, where the shipment had originated.

Unable to deliver, will notify shipper about the damage. o_O
I've had good luck with that particular order in the past so dunno what happened. Previous times it came bubble-wrapped and even a drop kick from the courier to a truck or plane wouldn't have busted it. "Something else" must have happened or they skipped such good wrapping.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Consumer refrigerator ice makers have always been terrible. I mean, $500 or $3500, the design engineering has been __poop__, including the ice "design" itself.

Until recently!

Finally, there are product that make proper square cubes, and a buddy has one that makes round "craft" style ice, OMG, I started weeping, look at this:

View attachment 7300

I'm ready to push the existing one into the ocean, and order.
Ice cube trays are a pain IMHO. I pour water into used plastic Chinese takeout containers (yes I cleaned them with soap). Then I just whack the block of ice with something and get nice big chunks for my drinks. Am I a barbarian? Who cares? It’s fun and no water damage disasters!

D

Deleted member 199

Ice cube trays are a pain IMHO. I pour water into used plastic Chinese takeout containers (yes I cleaned them with soap). Then I just whack the block of ice with something and get nice big chunks for my drinks. Am I a barbarian? Who cares? It’s fun and no water damage disasters!
Silicone ice moulds > everything else. The ones I found even have little lids so you can stack them up even when the water is still liquid.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Silicone ice moulds > everything else. The ones I found even have little lids so you can stack them up even when the water is still liquid.
My in-laws have some at their house, and they do seem pretty nice… I could be a convert.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
My in-laws have some at their house, and they do seem pretty nice… I could be a convert.
I got myself a bunch of hybrid ones a while back, works for me. Bottom part is the soft silicone while the upper part (like the frame) and the easy-to-remove lid is harder plastic. Oh man can you stack those high!

Also got a few all-silicone ones as well with more creative shapes, all ready to go into the freezer if I ever get to host a post-covid party. Maybe should use then now as well, cool-looking ice must be at least twice as cool, right?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t use ice. If I remember when I order in a restaurant, I request no ice. LG is one of my son’s clients, and shortly before the pandemic he did a big promotion for them on the craft ice thing with celebrities Ice-T and Vanilla Ice. They had a mixology mix-off. It was clever. But I still don’t want ice in my drinks.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I don’t use ice. If I remember when I order in a restaurant, I request no ice. LG is one of my son’s clients, and shortly before the pandemic he did a big promotion for them on the craft ice thing with celebrities Ice-T and Vanilla Ice. They had a mixology mix-off. It was clever. But I still don’t want ice in my drinks.
Ice is nice!

…unless you get less of the drinky stuff you paid for due to the volume occupied by ice, or if the source of the ice can’t be trusted. Or if you don’t like having ice in your drinks, pretty valid reason to avoid it too, I guess.

I do have a set of whiskey stones just in case I get a visitor asking for whiskey on the rocks without ice.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
…unless you get less of the drinky stuff you paid for due to the volume occupied by ice, or if the source of the ice can’t be trusted. Or if you don’t like having ice in your drinks, pretty valid reason to avoid it too, I guess.
It waters down everything. And when it suddenly breaks free it can cause your drink to spill all over your face.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
It waters down everything. And when it suddenly breaks free it can cause your drink to spill all over your face.
Ice at home can easily be made from most beverages, practically eliminating the problem with dilution. Unless a fancy machine that only can handle water is involved, perhaps.

Not sure about the other problem, maybe we’re just more used to ice in our periodically frozen hellscape and don’t let it jump out of drinks and attack our faces.

As for the topic of what I’ve bought recently: Opportunities to relentlessly power stuff; A supposedly smart Eve Energy Strip and two dumb as fuck 19” rack format strips with plenty of outlets.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Wanted to give a different style of Adidas a try, so saw these & had to give 'em a go.
51329856336_735ce07f64_z.jpg

I have an obsession with backpacks, sling bags, & messengers so I threw a white camo one in as well. Hopefully if I get to travel at all this year, I may use this. I seem to be keeping with a white & orange theme this year.

51197818877_cd77c130d8_z.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2