What Is The Meaning, What Is The Purpose Of This Life?

What Is The Meaning of, What is the Purpose of Your Life?

• There Is purpose! (Explain in you post.)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • There is Meaning! (Explain in you post.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If there is purpose, I have no clue. (Explanation optional. ;))

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • If there is meaning, I’m not sure what it could be. (Explanation optional. ;))

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • There is no purpose, existence is just a chance event. (Explain in you post.)

• There is no meaning. (Explain in you post.)

• Total voters

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I wanted a seperate discussion from the religion thread, but religion is ok too. This will be a thread where questions are good, and I won’t be disagreeing with anyone about their answers. I’ll clarify that this is a topic that interests me, but it’s not something I’m losing sleep over or worried about. Looking forward to some inspirational replies. :)

• Is there purpose? Unknown
  • Is there meaning? Unknown. Meaning can be simply be what meaning you assign to your life versus what you might think the cosmic meaning is. :unsure:
  • Do I want there to be purpose and meaning? Yes of course, or what’s the point? :unsure:
  • What are the odds that your consciousness will continue beyond this life? No clue, and I expect no concrete answers. :giggle:

SuperMatt

Site Champ
I Voted
Reaction score
I wish I knew. I often look back and wish I had done things differently. I'd like to go back in time and tell young me to avoid certain people, and do some things differently. I wonder if young me would listen to a ghost from the future or not.

Alli

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
I think those who found and kept a faith from early days will tell you everything is fine and that they are serving a higher purpose.

The rest of us move on about our lives until we either do or do not figure it out.

I believe we are here to be the conservators of this planet and the lives, both human and animal, that inhabit it.

niji

Power User
I Voted
Reaction score
for the purposes of this thread, i posit:

there are two status: living or not-living.
us vs. rocks.

among living beings there is but one highest of all living creatures: humans
us vs slime, and yes, even us vs. that cute labrador protecting the baby.

humans are to explore and learn and apply their knowledge.
its up to us, pals, for there to be a higher meaning to life. without us there is no higher meaning to life.

this is why when it comes to StarTrek vs. StarWars, i am solidly a Trekkie.
i am very much in the Captain Kathryn Janeway denomination of the Church of Remaining Faithful to Our Mission and (Because We Are Here) of Exploring the Delta Quadrant (and Earth).*

*that's more than the sum of all capital letters than i write in a weeks total. @niji is very tired after writing all those capitals.

Last edited:

iMi

Power User
Reaction score
I have thought about it a lot. Religion is certainly not the answer. Science is not the answer. I don’t know there is a meaning to life. I do believe consciousness survives death as there is some evidence to support that idea. I also believe we live more than one life, again, there is evidence to strongly suggest it may be the case. Is there a broader meaning? No idea...

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think those who found and kept a faith from early days will tell you everything is fine and that they are serving a higher purpose.

The rest of us move on about our lives until we either do or do not figure it out.

I believe we are here to be the conservators of this planet and the lives, both human and animal, that inhabit it.
That would make perfect sense as the supposed highest intelligent creatures on the planet, But it seems that animals a lot dumber than we are do a much better job of not trashing the environment. So intelligence seems to be a doubled edged sword.

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have thought about it a lot. Religion is certainly not the answer. Science is not the answer. I don’t know there is a meaning to life. I do believe consciousness survives death as there is some evidence to support that idea. I also believe we live more than one life, again, there is evidence to strongly suggest it may be the case. Is there a broader meaning? No idea...
What evidence is there that consciousness exceeds mortal existence? Now I an open minded to those stories about near death experiences where people see the light, but say nope, not yet. Then there is Sam Kinneson after a car accident, arguing against going, but then giving in. The retired police officer who did a past life regression, recorded it, and then verified the info was accurate. I can provide a link If requested. And there are lots of ghost stories, spirits that if true would lead you to believe something of our existence persist.

I like the idea that science has not been able to pinpoint the source of human consciousness. We know it exists, and that a knock on the head disrupts it, but it’s an assumption to say it originates in our head. It could easily be linked to our heads aka the soul, if you believe in such things might be possible.

Think about building a computer with the same computational power as a human brain. Would it suddenly wake up or with the right programming would it just be simulating a human brain? Would it have consciousness or would it be simulating consciousness?

Last edited:

niji

Power User
I Voted
Reaction score
lets say that AI advancements surge beyond what we can even understand right now.
lets say that machines that make machine tools that make machines advances to nano levels.
and then its all combined.

does that all make Consciousness?
no.
of course i did cheat in the above analogy. it still would remain artificial intelligence.

humans will benefit from all of these advancements.
and humans being human will suffer a great deal from these advancements as well.
but we are the only intelligent beings on the planet.

big digression...
here's what will be on apple's home page in 2030.
the apple watch will sense a possibility that i will faint when i get out of bed.
the morning alarm wouldn't have even sounded yet when i get a call from my daughter who was alerted and asking me to tell her the truth of how badly i fell while on a new mountain i had never hiked before yesterday. the watch would also have detected that my body has not yet returned to its normal resting levels yet.
while i am talking with my daughter about all of this, my iPhone 23 scans the blood vessels in my ear and suggests that i change the course of my upcoming saturday morning trail run and instead take a less direct course.
meanwhile i have received an alert message that indicates the project for work that i need to send in by tuesday is ready for my review.
most of the initial structure and format of the report's first pass was generated from net data bases i pay an iCloud app fee for access to.
the app further analysed my own past work to structure the report in a way i write. (so no capitals...LOL)
home pad mini's connecting mesh for the iot makes sure it all just works.
as im reading my apple News+ the headline is that TheBase's new St. Petersburg HQ is reporting that its scheduled IPO on wall street is delayed until COVID-19 deaths begin to track more favourably upward.

Last edited:

Alli

Staff member
I Voted
Reaction score
That would make perfect sense as the supposed highest intelligent creatures on the planet, But it seems that animals a lot dumber than we are do a much better job of not trashing the environment. So intelligence seems to be a doubled edged sword.
I’m not sure intelligence enters into the equation. Must one be smart to be good? Does being smart guarantee being good? Is our purpose to be smart?
of course i did cheat in the above analogy. it still would remain artificial intelligence.
What if all life was actually artificial? Who’s to say the creator, in whatever form, didn’t design us all, starting with single celled creatures?

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure intelligence enters into the equation. Must one be smart to be good? Does being smart guarantee being good? Is our purpose to be smart?
Yes, agreed, very good point, for intelligence does not necessarily equate with"good", let alone "wise".

What if all life was actually artificial? Who’s to say the creator, in whatever form, didn’t design us all, starting with single celled creatures?

If we were designed by a creator (and I grew up with a mother who was passionate about Darwin and Gregor Mendel, Copernicus, and dinosaurs, so my thoughts on that should be fairly obvious), then, this is a creator for whom design does not mean that fusion of form and function you find in the best designs, a dysfunctional and incompetent creator, akin to the character of the delightfully inept architect you meet when Asterix and Obelix visited Egypt.

Seriously, the blueprint of humanity could do with some drastic design modifications (and, writing as a woman, my pen is at hand, and to the ready, here).

Anyway, I have long thought that we are not designed in the image of a deity (what self-serving twaddle, and utter tosh, and what a silly deity if we were, one who needs to return to art school, and study some science, as well), rather divinities are made in our image, according to the needs of the societies that think them into being.

Last edited:

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score
lets say that AI advancements surge beyond what we can even understand right now.
lets say that machines that make machine tools that make machines advances to nano levels.
and then its all combined.

does that all make Consciousness?
no.

humans will benefit from all of these advancements.
and humans being human will suffer a great deal from these advancements as well.
but we are the only intelligent beings on the planet.

big digression...
here's what will be on apple's home page in 2030.
the apple watch will sense a possibility that i will faint when i get out of bed.
the morning alarm wouldn't have even sounded yet when i get a call from my daughter who was alerted and asking me to tell her the truth of how badly i fell while on a new mountain i had never hiked before yesterday. the watch would also have detected that my body has not yet returned to its normal resting levels yet.
while i am talking with my daughter about all of this, my iPhone 23 scans the blood vessels in my ear and suggests that i change the course of my upcoming saturday morning trail run and instead take a less direct course.
meanwhile i have received an alert message that indicates the project for work that i need to send in by tuesday is ready for my review.
most of the initial structure and format of the report's first pass was generated from net data bases i pay an iCloud app fee for access to.
the app further analysed my own past work to structure the report in a way i write. (so no capitals...LOL)
home pad mini's connecting mesh for the iot makes sure it all just works.
as im reading my apple News+ the headline is that TheBase's new St. Petersburg HQ is reporting that its scheduled IPO on wall street is delayed until COVID-19 deaths begin to track more favourably upward.

Answered here because of the discussion of A.I., another fun topic:
https://politicalgroove.com/threads/can-a-i-obtain-consciousness.507/

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score

It seems that mammals less smart than us, with less mental capabilities just react to their environment. The essence of their existence seems to be survival and reproduction and they are kept in check by the environment and the biological competition.

There seems to be a threshold of intelligence in combination with a particular physical development, where when advanced beyond, things start happening, options such as discovery and the ability to act on those discoveries become available. The physical aspect can’t be overstated because even if they were smart enough a wolf, or let’s go with really smart, a dolphin would be hard pressed to make a tool. I don’t know if this physical development is directly related to intelligence or not or just coincidental that the right combination appears and is able to advance. But it is with these options we found ourselves predominant and in the position and ability of making good or bad choices regarding the environment.

As far as “artificial” life, I’d say a single cell creature is near the beginning of biological life. I would not call it artificial which that term is reserved to our creations that mimic biological life.

Huntn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yes, agreed, very good point, for intelligence does not necessarily equate with"good", let alone "wise".

If we were designed by a creator (and I grew up with a mother who was passionate about Darwin and Gregor Mendel, Copernicus, and dinosaurs, so my thoughts on that should be fairly obvious), then, this is a creator for whom design does not mean that fusion of form and function you find in the best designs, a dysfunctional and incompetent creator, akin to the character of the delightfully inept architect you meet when Asterix and Obelix visited Egypt.

Seriously, the blueprint of humanity could do with some drastic design modifications (and, writing as a woman, my pen is at hand, and to the ready, here).

Anyway, I have long thought that we are not designed in the image of a deity (what self-serving twaddle, and utter tosh, and what a silly deity if we were, one who needs to return to art school, and study some science, as well), rather divinities are made in our image, according to the needs of the societies that think them into being.
In the discussion of a deity (or advanced intelligence) that creates, my personal preference is to view the Universe. It exists and we can consider if a deity, or something intelligent that we may or may not be able to relate to, or even comprehend is involved in, or in control of this process, but I’ll maintain without direct contact of its making, the question of a creator or The Creator is beyond us with any certainty.

And even if we were contacted, what a dilemma in determing if we were talking to the creator or an advanced scam artist. :unsure:

My preference is to view the Universe as slurry of elements where biological life may develop and advance. We might even speculate that this development is guided generally towards many outcomes, or specifically to an outcome that produces Homo Sapiens or other intelligent creatures able to physically and mentally advance, reach for the stars, and maybe destroy themselves in the process.

The important element here is speculation. That is about all we can do, even with the great advances in knowledge we have made in the last 2000 years. It is why IMO, vesting one’s self in any particular religious doctrine may make one feel good, but it’s unlikely that the good feelings are based on truth. It’s just glorified wishful thinking and self comforting, of which I and my frequent discussion of souls is guilty of. :D

Top Bottom