What Is Your Argument For Socialized Healthcare?

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is United Healthcare net worth: just shy of $400B. Just one insurance company, this is far short from the total wealth of the first-profit health system in the USA where a large % of the populace can’t afford insurance.

Are you going to be able to afford your hospital stay?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...e-americas-broken-healthcare-exposed-by-virus (from 2020)

“As this epidemic makes clear, at any moment, any of us could become sick, could become hospitalized, could be on a mechanical ventilator,” said Adam Gaffney, an ICU doctor in Boston. “And that, in the United States, could mean potentially ruinous healthcare costs.”

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is United Healthcare net worth: just shy of $400B.

Source please. Unless there is another United Healthcare, their market cap is only in the $250B range, much less net worth.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I work for a health insurance company. My company thinks health care is a basic human right and supports Medicare for All.

I should clarify that I'm not 100% sure if "my company" is the health insurance company I work for, or the bigger hospital system over us. We're sort of 2 companies, but one big organization. We're also non-profit, so our point of view is likely to be different than other health insurance companies.

That's not really an argument in favor of. But I just learned that last week and was kind of proud to hear it and wanted to share. This felt like a good place.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Sticking it to conservatives! :D

It's the only argument they'll believe. Everything else is a waste of your time.
They would also believe this:

I love the idea of death panels. But only if I get to laugh at the people who die, just like all those anti-vaxxers! Haha!

ronntaylor

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you going to be able to afford your hospital stay?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...e-americas-broken-healthcare-exposed-by-virus (from 2020)
Without going into specifics, I went into the hospital and stayed one night (probably would have been two nights for observations were it not for COVID-19) and I can't believe the bill and the portion we have to pay (still getting surprise bills months later). Already talked to our accountant and we'll be able to write it off. But I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have that type of money in the bank. Can't imagine what a family living paycheck-to-paycheck would have done. It's absolutely ridiculous. Especially if you add up the monthly premiums and copays and deductibles. Add in COVID-19 precautions and a simple visit becomes expensive. Something has to be done soon.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
They would also believe this:

I love the idea of death panels. But only if I get to laugh at the people who die, just like all those anti-vaxxers! Haha!

The Democrat proposal includes payment to local comedians to show up at the funeral and roast your dead loved one. FACT. You read it on the internet, here, just now.

Yoused

up
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The military has basically always offered socialized medicine. It may still be a smallish group compared to the entire USA, but it works really well.

Well, why not just impose 100% conscription, blowing up two birds with one grenade?

Kinda like that one episode of Twilight Zone where they were televising the execution of the librarian, but with announcers doing play-by-play-like coverage.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Without going into specifics, I went into the hospital and stayed one night (probably would have been two nights for observations were it not for COVID-19) and I can't believe the bill and the portion we have to pay (still getting surprise bills months later). Already talked to our accountant and we'll be able to write it off. But I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have that type of money in the bank. Can't imagine what a family living paycheck-to-paycheck would have done. It's absolutely ridiculous. Especially if you add up the monthly premiums and copays and deductibles. Add in COVID-19 precautions and a simple visit becomes expensive. Something has to be done soon.
3 hours in the Emergency Room for heat stroke, involving nothing heroic (for my wife) set us back about $6k. My wife is has a high deductible health plan, which maxed out the deductible, but I can’t imagine if you have no health plan or a health plan with a high cap. That is one good thing about a high deductible plan, at least the one‘s I’m familiar with, once you hit the limit that’s usually the limit.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Everybody knows the system is broken. Obama should have gone all in when he had the votes and given us a single-payer system through the government. The thought was to get there over time, but the Dems forgot how little the GOP cares about the health of their fellow humans.

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Source please. Unless there is another United Healthcare, their market cap is only in the $250B range, much less net worth.

Is this your counter for for-profit health care?

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Everybody knows the system is broken. Obama should have gone all in when he had the votes and given us a single-payer system through the government. The thought was to get there over time, but the Dems forgot how little the GOP cares about the health of their fellow humans.

The Democrats still haven’t learned their lesson and on some level I’m going to blame them more than the Republicans for our decline.

If the police have a known serial killer in custody but release him because other than the killing part he’s a good family man, who are you going to blame for his killing after his release?

OP
Huntn

Huntn

Casual Solipsist
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Democrats still haven’t learned their lesson and on some level I’m going to blame them more than the Republicans for our decline.

If the police have a known serial killer in custody but release him because other than the killing part he’s a good family man, who are you going to blame for his killing after his release?
Remember the Democrats have to be in office to enact changes and if you look at this historically it‘s the Koolaid drinkers, the deplorables, the xenophobes, religious zealots, the racists/white supremicists supporting the Republicans, and the progressive agenda is not being supported by the numbers of voters that could make the changes needed to move forward.

As an aging adult, I’m becoming a huge cynic about the human race and our ability to avoid destroying ourselves. I view a great many of us as tribal backstabbers more concerned about our personal advantage while being blind to the overall status and condition of our species and our planet. Many of us appear to be toasting that they are fighting over, whatever they hold dear blind that the steamboat they they are riding is about to head over the falls.

Roller

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not having to declare bankruptcy because of a serious illness.

Aside from the overhead imposed by insurers, one of the biggest problems with healthcare in the US is the lack of incentives for adopting a healthy lifestyle, though that's changing. Still, people are too accustomed to thinking that medicine will just take care of everything. It's like the idiocy of foregoing a COVID-19 vaccine because monoclonal antibodies are available.

P_X

Peter Principal
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not having to declare bankruptcy because of a serious illness.

Aside from the overhead imposed by insurers, one of the biggest problems with healthcare in the US is the lack of incentives for adopting a healthy lifestyle, though that's changing. Still, people are too accustomed to thinking that medicine will just take care of everything. It's like the idiocy of foregoing a COVID-19 vaccine because monoclonal antibodies are available.
One of the biggest culture shocks coming from Europe is the number of times I was asked to cure death or expected to rejuvenate the ailing of age. As you are saying many people have insanely unrealistic expectations when it comes to medical interventions but invest nothing in their health.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
118652456_10214317896221347_2507827663101841830_n.jpg

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The current system benefits insurance companies and for-profit healthcare companies like Cancer Treatment Centers of America, etc. It is a horrible deal for everybody else. I suppose it also gives an edge to large companies when it comes to health insurance costs, because they have a larger pool and can pay less per employee than a small company.

Either way, it wastes so much money, and I just don’t understand why we stick to the system. Do the insurance company lobbyists really have that much power?

Top Bottom