What I've Been Working On

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Graphic novel style right here! Gotta work on the trees a bit to make them less lumpy, but I like where this is going.

edit: FOR IMPROVEMENTS!
StationProps2.jpg

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
A long ass time. I generally try to do one object a day, though it's rare I'm able to do that.

Considering I'm also trying to build a stylized looking, which results in me doing endless amounts of experimenting, things usually take that much longer.

U

User.45

A long ass time. I generally try to do one object a day, though it's rare I'm able to do that.

Considering I'm also trying to build a stylized looking, which results in me doing endless amounts of experimenting, things usually take that much longer.
I'm counting ~12 days then. Brutal! How fast does your machine render?

Renzatic

Reaction score
I'm counting ~12 days then. Brutal! How fast does your machine render?

This is all in the realtime engine, so what I see on the screen is about what I'll end up with. The only thing rendering does is apply an extra layer of antialiasing, and a bit of denoising work, which usually takes about 5 seconds or so.

Screenshot from 2021-02-13 18-56-29.png

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm on a desktop. Though laptops can do a good job of keeping up with things these days.

I hear the new Mac M1's are incredible at animating in Blender.

The devs at Blender probably test more on popular hardware among enthusiasts rather than what large studios might use. They also aren't quite as encumbered by old baggage as something like Maya, with old MEL bindings and lack of divide by zero guards.

I noticed Mental Ray was finally removed a few years ago, so now you're basically stuck with licensing vray.

Renzatic

Reaction score
The devs at Blender probably test more on popular hardware among enthusiasts rather than what large studios might use. They also aren't quite as encumbered by old baggage as something like Maya, with old MEL bindings and lack of divide by zero guards.

I noticed Mental Ray was finally removed a few years ago, so now you're basically stuck with licensing vray.

It's about the same either way, really. If it works well on enthusiast rigs, it's about guaranteed to run that much better on high end studio machines.

Also, not sure what you're talking about with the Vray comment, but I can't think of any editor that requires you use it as its default renderer.

edit: ...and there's this coming up.

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. Amazing work. I just getting started in learning Unity and building apps for VR. It's been the most fun I've had in years. I saw the first photo in the thread and instantly wanted to be standing there checking it out in VR. Well done!

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's about the same either way, really. If it works well on enthusiast rigs, it's about guaranteed to run that much better on high end studio machines.

Also, not sure what you're talking about with the Vray comment, but I can't think of any editor that requires you use it as its default renderer.

edit: ...and there's this coming up.

Oh, Maya used to be bundled with a renderer plugin called Mental Ray, that died some time ago. It was a fairly messy renderer, but omitting that bumps the starting price a bit higher. If I was going to do that stuff today, I would seriously start with Blender, given how far it has come.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Oh, Maya used to be bundled with a renderer plugin called Mental Ray, that died some time ago. It was a fairly messy renderer, but omitting that bumps the starting price a bit higher. If I was going to do that stuff today, I would seriously start with Blender, given how far it has come.

Ah. These days, all the Autodesk stuff (3DSMax, Maya, et al.) uses Arnold for rendering.

Really, unless you're intending on going into studio production, where Maya is still king, there's no reason not to use Blender. It's pretty well competitive with everything else these days, and hey, it's free.

Top Bottom
1 2