What Movie Are You Watching?

U

User.45

It's exactly that, divergent timelines, the future with the destruction of mankind is a __different__ future than the "present" where the movie starts.

The DI actually explains this during their "training", before the jump:

View attachment 6707

His timeline, vs. her timeline.

See above, two different timelines.

Reminds me of this little gem: Turbo Kid

and it's theme song:
Eyes, Throat, Genitals:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's exactly that, divergent timelines, the future with the destruction of mankind is a __different__ future than the "present" where the movie starts.

The DI actually explains this during their "training", before the jump:

View attachment 6707

His timeline, vs. her timeline.

See above, two different timelines.

I stand corrected on the instructions on how to kill them, but they did not make it clear that just how ineffective shooting anywhere else and watching soldiers empty their clips into them. It was the heavier mounted caliber weapons that were effective. :)

The interesting thing about time travel, is that it is complicated and by it’s nature creates paradoxes, events that don’t make any logical sense. Yet the premise has to be there is something going on that is not understood. Even so:
  • For a single time line, if you change the past, say you gather up all the Infinity Stones (Avengers reference), then Thanos can‘t wipe out half of all life, and it would have been no reason to build or resort to building a time machine, although coincidentally in the altered time line you created, it is possible a time machine was still built and if the tech matches, you could conceivable return. Same situation here, people go back in time to enlist help, then return to the future.
  • For a split timeline, the ideas that what has happened in the original timeline can’t be changed, when you change the past, you have created a new split timeline, and if this is the case for this movie, then humanity is wiped out in the original time line because you can’t return to it, but in the new timeline, an assumption is made that events/history will exactly parallel the original timeline, even though the time travelers presence will change events. And the same issue remains, relying on technology which may or may ot exist to get you back If there is a desire to go back to the future.
So if you go back in your timeline and change anything significant you most likely won’t be able to return If you are relying on man made technology. That said the idea of a serum being created in the future and taken back in time to solve a problem of the future (aliens) 30 years earlier is easier to swallow, because there is no need to return to the future, and you may not be able to.

I did like the bone they threw for paradoxes, the condition that you be dead or not yet born (one or the other) required to send you forward or back, but overall the story was not believable or satisfying at least for me. :)

What I really disliked was the idea of sending untrained individuals to the future to fight very lethal creatures as if they might have a chance, In hindsight I guess you could say they were sent forward to give future daughter a time to create a serum, but they should have said that upfront. Maybe they did but I missed it? 👀

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
  • For a split timeline, the ideas that what has happened in the original timeline can’t be changed, when you change the past, you have created a new split timeline, and if this is the case for this movie, then humanity is wiped out in the original time line because you can’t return to it, but in the new timeline, an assumption is made that events/history will exactly parallel the original timeline, even though the time travelers presence will change events.

They're the same, until they're not, and they're not when there's enough of a variance, or a special variant, i.e., you should watch Loki :D

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LoganLucky_DVD_2D_O-card.png

As long as I'm on a Soderbergh kick, I decided to check out "Logan Lucky" (Hulu).

The premise is...and I'm not kidding here...what if you made "Ocean's Eleven", but with hillbillies?

Not that a good film couldn't be made along those lines, but sadly this isn't it. Normally I like Soderbergh's stuff, but this just comes across as something that doesn't know whether it wants to provide fan service to good ol' boys, or be a parody of them.

The two guys on the floor, Channing Tatum and Adam Driver, are planning to rob the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Already known as losers, their plans are going to be a definitely low-tech affair.

Things pick up when they decide to break out a jailed criminal. Daniel Craig, blonde-haired and southern-accented as in "Knives Out", is a delight.

Certain things, though, are just silly. Craig's character is an explosives expert. His name? I mean, real name, not nickname? Joe Bang. We know this is his real name because he has two brothers with the same surname. O-o-o-okay. There's a scene where Tatum's daughter, perversely dolled up like a tiny hooker, belts out an absolutely awful version of "Take Me Home, Country Roads". I don't mean just off-key, I mean ridiculously bad. I don't think it's meant to be parody, but that's the way it comes across.

The movie has a lot of good reviews, so I'll allow that maybe I'm just prejudiced against good ol' boys in general, but if southerners object to the way they are portrayed in this movie, I'd say I can't blame them. And if they find it accurate, well then, I feel sorry for them.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011 watched on Prime Video) English version with Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. Excellent. I saw the original movie in Swedish and read the books, but it’s been too long for me to compare them. The Rapist Pig gets a surprise. :oops:

0C85551D-7B33-4109-B350-D1EE8F16C39C.jpeg

They're the same, until they're not, and they're not when there's enough of a variance, or a special variant, i.e., you should watch Loki :D
Loki is on my list. :)

U

User.45

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011 watched on Prime Video) English version with Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. Excellent. I saw the original movie in Swedish and read the books, but it’s been too long for me to compare them. The Rapist Pig gets a surprise. :oops:

I absolutely hated the English remake. It felt totally unnecessary after the Swedish one and added nothing.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Loki is on my list. :)

We're behind an EP from last Wednesday, apparently something-something, watching tonight! Then tomorrow EP5 and there's only 6 planned for this season.

U

User.45

Like many American movie remakes, the only reason it was made is because Hollywood thinks we are too lazy to read subtitles and love to watch the same actors over and over and over and….
...and sadly they are right. But most of the times the US remake attempts to put things in a culturally relevant context, like the remake of Brōn or Forbrydelsen (The Killing). This one actually was set same place, everything was the same, except for lots of hype for Daniel Craig who, at lest for me, lacks charisma, and Rooney Mara whom I consider a talented actress but her performance was waaaay waaay overhyped. Typical Hollywood bullshit that the moment an actress takes a role that doesn't revolve around their attractiveness, the performance is considered great. Like why?!
To add to this, Michael Nyquist (RIP) and Noomi Rapace were fantastic in the original movie and nobody should have expected Craig or Mara to top their performance.

/rant over.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
...and sadly they are right. But most of the times the US remake attempts to put things in a culturally relevant context, like the remake of Brōn or Forbrydelsen (The Killing). This one actually was set same place, everything was the same, except for lots of hype for Daniel Craig who, at lest for me, lacks charisma, and Rooney Mara whom I consider a talented actress but her performance was waaaay waaay overhyped. Typical Hollywood bullshit that the moment an actress takes a role that doesn't revolve around their attractiveness, the performance is considered great. Like why?!
To add to this, Michael Nyquist (RIP) and Noomi Rapace were fantastic in the original movie and nobody should have expected Craig or Mara to top their performance.

/rant over.
I saw a movie years ago called “Internal Affairs” - a Hong Kong film my brother-in-law was watching. I really liked it. A few years later, I saw “The Departed” and realized it was the same movie, but set in Boston. It wasn’t a terrible remake, so it was a bit of an exception when it comes to Hollywood remakes. I still liked the Hong Kong one better.

U

User.45

I saw a movie years ago called “Internal Affairs” - a Hong Kong film my brother-in-law was watching. I really liked it. A few years later, I saw “The Departed” and realized it was the same movie, but set in Boston. It wasn’t a terrible remake, so it was a bit of an exception when it comes to Hollywood remakes. I still liked the Hong Kong one better.
It's like South Korean movies. Oldboy was phenomenal. Won't watch the remake tho.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It wasn’t a terrible remake, so it was a bit of an exception when it comes to Hollywood remakes.

Remakes in and of themselves aren't bad. The Wizard of Oz (1939) and Ben-Hur (1959) come to mind. Jumanji is another in my opinion. I thought the first one with Robin Williams was really good, but I was incredibly impressed that they gracefully stepped around that one and made something unique of their own with the new one. And in my opinion, it was a lot of fun without crapping on the original. Cape Fear did something similar. Both versions are fantastic for completely different reasons.

But most remakes are garbage. They're just lazy money grabs. I'm very rarely impressed at the money and effort spent to tell me the same story I already saw years ago. Or the same story I saw a few years back from some other country (I agree 100% on the Dragon Tattoo comments earlier). It feels like a waste of resources that could have been used to tell me a completely new story. Remakes are like walking a tightrope. Impressive if you can make it across, but a disaster for the 99% who can't.

The movie that turned me onto foreign cinema was Amélie. I loved every minute because it felt like something I'd never seen out of Hollywood. Hollywood couldn't remake that movie without destroying what I love about it because it's the fact that it doesn't feel like a Hollywood production that draws me to it. And I love the story too of course.

I've watched movies from around the world, but have never really seen any Asian (except for some Kurosawa movies) or Indian movies. A buddy keeps pushing South Korean movies on me. But he's a horror nut and I'm pickier. I don't mind scary (6th sense), I don't care for gory (Freddie, Jason, Pinhead, etc). What's are some good recommendations? Bollywood too. I've never seen any of those. Beyond not being a gigantic horror nut, I'm fairly easy to please. I'm just looking for a solid story that will suck me in. If I had to pick, I do like a good thriller. Something with an ending I don't see coming. But anything with a solid story is good enough for me.

I have a 5 day weekend next week alone to myself when I can watch anything I like. Normally with my girlfriend, it needs to not be subtitled or B&W (to be fair, she loves costumes and B&W costumes are just boring). But with her gone for a few days, it's the perfect opportunity to watch something without her sticking in earbuds and diving into her phone. She doesn't mind, but I have a hard time enjoying something when the rest of the room doesn't.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not lazy, damnit. But I hate subtitles. It destroys the immersive experience for me and keeps me on the outside. It’s even worse if I speak the language cause my translation rarely matches the subtitles.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Last movie I watched was Lin-Manuel Miranda's "In The Heights," which I very much enjoyed.

It's not the same sort of "life altering" experience of Hamilton, still, it's fun, filled with super talented people and beautifully filmed (there's some terrific creative choices, they were able to do things that would be impossible on stage).

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
It's not the same sort of "life altering" experience of Hamilton, still, it's fun, filled with super talented people and beautifully filmed (there's some terrific creative choices, they were able to do things that would be impossible on stage).
100% agree. We had tickets to see Hamilton – from the good seats this time – when the pandemic hit, and hope to secure some when it comes back this next season. The film version was exquisitely done, in my opinion. Like you mention, the movie version of In the Heights is fun, and the visuals are bright and vibrant and playful. I hope to see it live sometime.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I rewatched the remake of Clash of the Titans, and I wouldn’t say it was a complete turd as much as I felt like the entire movie was watching a “previously on” montage or one of those YouTube movie explanation videos that just shows what’s pertinent to understand the movie. Way too much backstory was rushed through as was character relationships and you didn’t really care about/believe anybody or their motives as a result. I think it would have made a way better series but I think the movie came out before epic big-budget SciFi series were a thing. There’s a lot of interesting storylines and characters that can’t be effectively covered in a movie.

Top Bottom
1 2