What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)- Keeps getting better.
Dementors are actually scary. One of the best depictions of time travel I can remember, but there are still paradoxes. Gary Oldman has a presence. The scene at the Shrieking Shack is outstanding.

80BCA998-65E5-4CCB-BBC4-CFE204702346.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Interesting what people think of the "Ocean's" movies.

I think everybody agrees 11 was the best. Based on reviews and comments I read at the time, most felt 12 dropped the ball and 13 had the series back in form again. That's kind of my perception, too.

8 was okay, but it was probably the weakest of the bunch.

I've even seen the original, starring the Rat Pack. It was interesting from a historical perspective, but clearly a case where the remake was better.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Cosmic Sin (2021) - Netflix

Bruce Willis, the year 2524. People are still driving gasoline cars and motorcycles? Bars look exactly the same as they do today… including an actual working jukebox? Even clothing styles haven‘t changed in 500 years? Guns still use bullets and gunpowder? Cigarettes and lighters look exactly the same?

Dell still makes exactly the same PC monitors in 2524 too. Would it have been too much trouble to at least cover the DELL logo for a movie supposedly 500 years in the future?

But we can teleport light-years away in minutes and we’ve got a bomb that can destroy an entire solar system!

Aliens fight Humans… you can probably guess who wins.

Forget suspension of disbelief. Try a perma-ban of disbelief for this one.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've even seen the original, starring the Rat Pack. It was interesting from a historical perspective, but clearly a case where the remake was better.

I've always been curious about Ocean's 11 (the new one is technically Ocean's Eleven), but never got around to it. Not sure I've run across many who have. Glad to hear I've not missed much.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Mulan Live action. I was wondering how they'd handle the dragon. Disappointed in that a bit. Overall, though, I thought it was a decent production. I'm not sure why is was so panned.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Had the grandsons over last night and watched “WW84”…first time for them, second time for me. On second viewing, it’s a better movie than I thought.

I appreciated the beautiful/emotional moments more (Steve piloting through fireworks, Diana learning to fly, having to give up Steve), and noticed that the sound editing is for shit. Certain lines that explain motivations or plot details are either very quiet or are all but drowned out by background sounds.

The grandkids are up on their lore. “Wait—is that where Wonder Woman gets her invisible plane?” They even got the Asteria bonus at the end. My little kids…❤️

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I can’t get enough of the Tremors movies. A guilty pleasure.
The first one was just amazingly campy and fun. The sequels all feel a little forced, but who can resist saying “assblasters”?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Having come out only about a year apart, I always figured “Tremors” was the inspiration for one of the Justice League’s creepiest (and funniest) stories.

BFA7C16B-E2E0-465C-9AD1-50DBA8FC7BB0.jpeg

In it, Captain Atom figures the easy way to defeat such a beast is to let himself get swallowed and then unleash a huge explosion, freeing him, destroying the worm…and leaving everyone else covered in worm guts. 😆

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Interesting what people think of the "Ocean's" movies.

I think everybody agrees 11 was the best. Based on reviews and comments I read at the time, most felt 12 dropped the ball and 13 had the series back in form again. That's kind of my perception, too.

8 was okay, but it was probably the weakest of the bunch.

Ocean's 8 has been playing all this weekend.

While it's alright, I have to admit I forgot how much I loved James Corden in his small part. I hadn't seen him in anything else besides...

movieposter.jpg

Don't judge me, I was given an incredible hi - def copy

and of course Carpool Karaoke. I thought he was pretty funny in his role and made the film for me.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)- Introduces the real villain of the series, the vile, sadistic, giggling fascist Dolores Umbridge.

331DB900-B75E-4ABD-84F3-CE3E1E23F873.png

A crisis at the Ministry of Magic, You Know Who is back and the Ministry is in denial, neutralized, infiltrated, and/or coconspirators. Death Eaters crawling out of the woodwork and then there is the Boy Who Lived, YKW’s obsession.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)- Dark from start to finish in sepia tones, fitting for this part of the story. Helena Bonham Carter is one of those one of a kind actresses. Significant event in this story.

488EE221-025E-46A3-AB81-7F2ECD46C346.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt1 (2010)- Some good necessary stuff, some drag and much gravity. The real show is in Pt2.

957E9E49-BFB7-4065-8BE5-A45F270355AC.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Downton Abbey the movie, before it takes a hike off HBO Max. Well... I loved the TV series. Not really sure why they made the movie, I mean it's well done and all, but after all the character development of that multi-season series, one cannot help but get the feeling from the movie of either treading-water or glossing-over, with a few teaser-tidbits thrown in, I suppose "just in case".... but one can hardly imagine a whole new series.

[And this for @Scepticalscribe, who may remember.... With a nod to the apparently-never-here and gone-from-over-there @Zenithal, who surely would have inquired if I had noticed the difference in how they treated the edible fare and the cooking of it: I must say that even the kedgeree on the breakfast buffet looked a pale reflection of the original Downton Abbey recipe as shown back then in all its glory.]

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Downton Abbey the movie, before it takes a hike off HBO Max. Well... I loved the TV series. Not really sure why they made the movie, I mean it's well done and all, but after all the character development of that multi-season series, one cannot help but get the feeling from the movie of either treading-water or glossing-over, with a few teaser-tidbits thrown in, I suppose "just in case".... but one can hardly imagine a whole new series.

[And this for @Scepticalscribe, who may remember.... With a nod to the apparently-never-here and gone-from-over-there @Zenithal, who surely would have inquired if I had noticed the difference in how they treated the edible fare and the cooking of it: I must say that even the kedgeree on the breakfast buffet looked a pale reflection of the original Downton Abbey recipe as shown back then in all its glory.]
When you are watching a series, and then it converts to movies the outcome most likely will be disappointing because the audience is used to 10 hours or more of story telling per season.

Top Bottom
1 2