What Movie Are You Watching?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Taking a quick spin back to Black Widow. I did mention that I bought it on Disney+ for everyone in the house and a friend out of state. It seems that hybrid release plan is causing problems because like HBO, Disney didn't discuss it with all the players.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Taking a quick spin back to Black Widow. I did mention that I bought it on Disney+ for everyone in the house and a friend out of state. It seems that hybrid release plan is causing problems because like HBO, Disney didn't discuss it with all the players.
Disney trying to profit and cheat people out of money? Shocking!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Disney trying to profit and cheat people out of money? Shocking!

Yeah, before everyone figures out how to shoot, edit and market straight to content delivery networks their full length features on a MacBook Pro...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt2- ((2011) Thrills, chills, and visuals. Gringot’s escape, McGonagall vs Snape, McGonagall calls forth the Stone Men, Mrs Weasly vs Bellatrix Lestrange, Snape, Neville Longbottom! Great ending to the series! 🥳

B760048C-9DFE-4605-B8B8-9352463D7339.jpeg

What I’m not clear about: If Voldemort had horcruxes all around…
did any of his soul remain in his body? It appears that soon after Nigini is capatated, destroying the last horcrux was it the spell Harry had directed at him or was without a soul, his body could not sustain itself any longer?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I know this counts as more of "-movie I am NOT watching", but I wasn't aware fo the back story to the new Matt Damon ( done to remind you he can act and he's American ) movie Stillwater.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1420871392266911746/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1420871395085488129/

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1420871402698149888/
A thread

KEY POINTS
  • Amanda Knox is speaking out against the new Matt Damon film “Stillwater” directed by Tom McCarthy.
  • In an essay published on Medium and Twitter, the journalist addressed sexism, the erasure of victims and her treatment in the press and in popular culture over the last 14 years.
  • Since debuting at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this month, “Stillwater” has received mixed reviews from critics and stirred up debate about how much it may have been inspired by Knox’s own experience.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The fun continues, as others MIGHT consider the same action

When the news dropped yesterday that Scarlett Johansson was suing Disney for breach of contract for the hybrid release of Black Widow, we idly wondered if this was the first of many suits that could follow. It very much sounds like this might be the case. Now, we need to emphasize that this is very much just a rumor at this point, and we are in no way saying that this is going to happen for sure. However, considering how these things tend to happen in waves, it wouldn't be surprising. According to former The Hollywood Reporter editor, Matt Belloni, who said in his newsletter, What I'm Hearing… (via Screen Rant) that "Emma Stone, star of Cruella, is said to be weighing her options." He also wrote that we could hear something from Jungle Cruise star Emily Blunt after this opening weekend.

Cruella was a big enough hit that Disney actually greenlit a sequel after opening weekend. So unlike Johansson, who is done with her contract, and if a bridge is burned, it's done, Stone is here for another movie. As for Blunt, anyone who has seen Jungle Cruise knows that Disney is obviously angling for a franchise, so they won't want to lose Blunt either. It's going to be really interesting to see how all of this continues to play out since, right now, it's getting a bit messy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
1E43A02D-F699-4DFC-A192-7EEEC65C3B9D.jpeg

Interstellar (2014)- This is an impressive story and movie. There is some real gravity here, Earth circa 2070ish, is dieing, a crew goes on a mission to seek a new world for the human species, and time is the challenge, the enemy. This story revels in human emotions, family bonds, love, deceit, betrayal, and includes a hard core time paradox which is explainable.

One amazing thing in our lifetimes is how CGI has advanced from cartoons to seamlessly, photorealistic environments. However as explained in the following link, Nolan’s choice of practical effects and on location shooting, makes the presentation feel more real.

The primary critique directed at the movie seems to be the sound track, a constant background of music, sometimes bordering on or becoming oppressive that sets a tone for the story.

• The Earth is dying and must be abandoned.
  • Cooper is a retired astronaut and now farmer watching his crops die.
  • Murph, his daughter talks about a ghost in her bedroom.
  • This “ghost“ sends them a binary message of geographical coordinates.
  • Coop and Murphy drive to it and locate a secret NASA facility underground.
  • …where Dr. Brandt an acquaintance of his, tells him about the mission to save humanity, Plan A relocate the humanity to another planet. Plan B is to take human embryos to another planet to get a fresh start. Brandt is working on technology to harness gravity as a propulsion force to power manned vehicles out of our atmosphere into space and carry humanity to a new home.
  • Cooper the only one available with previous space mission experience volunteers to lead the mission.
The Convenience
  • Convientently a worm hole appeared in the vicinity of Saturn 40 years ago. It is speculated that an advance civilization placed this worn hole for our use to provide a viable option for humans to relocate.
  • Later in the story Coop finds himself in the Tesseract, a device created by 5 dimensional beings, which allows him to send a variety of messages back to his daughter.
  • To solve the gravity engine equation, quantum data is required, that can only be retrieved from a black hole. Coop and his robot end up entering a black hole (not voluntarily), the robot grabs the quantum data needed. Coop uses the Tesseract to send this data via the Tesseract to his daughter through an identical wrist watch he gave her.
The Paradoxes
  • Coop of the future sends himself the coordinates of the secret base which results in him leading the mission.
  • Coop speculates that the advanced civilization who placed both the wormhole and the Tesseract, might be “future” us. The second paradox would be why would we have to save ourselves if we survived into the future Before this.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
On a whim, we watched The Punisher last night. Have seen that symbol all over the place for years, but had never seen the movie.

I would give it a 7-7.5. I don't think I would have felt ripped off had I paid to see it in the theater.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
On a whim, we watched The Punisher last night. Have seen that symbol all over the place for years, but had never seen the movie.

I would give it a 7-7.5. I don't think I would have felt ripped off had I paid to see it in the theater.
I like that movie! :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The primary critique directed at the movie seems to be the sound track, a constant background of music, sometimes bordering on or becoming oppressive that sets a tone for the story.

The Zimmer soundtrack is amazing, and the overpowering levels are very much by design - often juxtaposed against complete silence (make the lack of sound even more present). Many of the pieces feature a 1926 Harrison & Harrison organ is in itself is a character in the story (including its design, etc.).

Great movie, the one scene, midway through, with McConaughey watching a video (staying spoiler free), holy f-ing hell, that's an amazing, powerful, emotional moment, it's what good sci-fi is about, using the machinations of space and/or time travel and/or alien invasion, and exposing the human condition through it.

Recently rewatched Arrival, FFS, that film __destroys__ me emotionally, the opening and ending, it's as good as it gets (and like Interstellar, so beautiful impacted by the score).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Zimmer soundtrack is amazing, and the overpowering levels are very much by design - often juxtaposed against complete silence (make the lack of sound even more present). Many of the pieces feature a 1926 Harrison & Harrison organ is in itself is a character in the story (including its design, etc.).

Great movie, the one scene, midway through, with McConaughey watching a video (staying spoiler free), holy f-ing hell, that's an amazing, powerful, emotional moment, it's what good sci-fi is about, using the machinations of space and/or time travel and/or alien invasion, and exposing the human condition through it.

Recently rewatched Arrival, FFS, that film __destroys__ me emotionally, the opening and ending, it's as good as it gets (and like Interstellar, so beautiful impacted by the score).
The Interstellar soundtrack overall is very good, and although I mostly liked it, at times it did feel oppressive.

Arrival (2016), I should give that another shot. What sticks with me was that studying the aliens bequeathed an altered sense/perception of time. :) Now, The Arrival (1996) gets a big unequivocal thumbs up, but it’s a different kind of story. :D

4D1B3AFC-A018-42F6-BA02-CCAC6C0C5AC8.jpeg

Last edited:

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Watched "No Sudden Move," a good little crime caper based around 1950s Detroit and the auto industry. It's one of those movies where everyone's motivation is suspect, and most of the characters are trying to make their own moves to their loss, or salvation. But, it's a nicely done Soderbergh flick. I wish that dude would just crank out crime stories annually.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Watched "No Sudden Move," a good little crime caper based around 1950s Detroit and the auto industry. It's one of those movies where everyone's motivation is suspect, and most of the characters are trying to make their own moves to their loss, or salvation. But, it's a nicely done Soderbergh flick. I wish that dude would just crank out crime stories annually.

We keep meaning to get to this, we've had it in our watchlist for weeks. I mean, Cheadle, Del Toro, Hamm, David Harbour in a Soderbergh caper/crime movie? Sure!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Arrival (2016), I should give that another shot. What sticks with me was that studying the aliens bequeathed an altered sense/perception of time.

I loved it, I dig on that concept of linguistic determinism, sure, it takes it a good bit further than Sapir-Whorf intended, but it's perfect, as this is SCIENCE + FICTION. There's actually been some studies that suggest people who are bi/multi/poly lingual, show some psycho-physical differences in how they process information / cognitive pathways / etc.

You have to think about it the other way around: Louise didn't learn to speak/read/write Heptapod and gain the ability to see forward/back/around time, time __is__ non-linear, we are limited (trapped?) by our language, which informs our perception. It's a beautiful metaphor using a general theory as a starting point, and that's used ask the larger question (which is the emotional center of the movie).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I loved it, I dig on that concept of linguistic determinism, sure, it takes it a good bit further than Sapir-Whorf intended, but it's perfect, as this is SCIENCE + FICTION. There's actually been some studies that suggest people who are bi/multi/poly lingual, show some psycho-physical differences in how they process information / cognitive pathways / etc.

You have to think about it the other way around: Louise didn't learn to speak/read/write Heptapod and gain the ability to see forward/back/around time, time __is__ non-linear, we are limited (trapped?) by our language, which informs our perception. It's a beautiful metaphor using a general theory as a starting point, and that's used ask the larger question (which is the emotional center of the movie).
Yes it’s very interesting, but I’d say the human race is time trapped always living/perceiving in the present, so the premise of the movie is one that equates to a speculative, evolutionary change in human perception without a known scientific basis, as far as I know, but that is ok because this is what science fiction is all about, pushing the envelope of science, technology, and evolutionary possibilities.

The first time I was exposed to this idea was in Slaughterhouse Five about a man who lived and relived different parts of his life, jumping around almost constantly in the different stages of it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The first time I was exposed to this idea was in Slaughterhouse Five about a man who lived and relived different parts of his life, jumping around almost constantly in the different stages of it.
Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.

One of the best books ever.

Top Bottom
1 2