What Movie Are You Watching?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Planet Of The Apes (2001)- Wow, this movie got terrible reviews, but I found it to be worthy, ok not as good as the original, but I liked the portrayals, ape humor, and the gist of the story, other than the off the wall ending. :D Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites. Things were looking up, if I had been Wahlberg, I’d have considered staying. :) The original’s ending was much more profound.

Have you ever watched all 5 films in the original series, it's pretty fun, and neat to see how the story comes full circle.

The 3 new adaptations, Rise/Dawn/War, are kind of set in the middle of the original series, sort of, avoiding spoilers if you're not familiar with the original story arc. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched The Fog last night, because the wife loves it. Being on Cape Cod for a getaway made it more fun, if you know that film.

For John Carpenter, I’m more of an Escape From New York or Big Trouble in Little China guy, but The Fog is decent.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Watched The Fog last night, because the wife loves it. Being on Cape Cod for a getaway made it more fun, if you know that film.

For John Carpenter, I’m more of an Escape From New York or Big Trouble in Little China guy, but The Fog is decent.
Went on a John Carpenter binge over the last couple of months, love all of these movies and don't forget about They Live, another classic.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you ever watched all 5 films in the original series, it's pretty fun, and neat to see how the story comes full circle.

The 3 new adaptations, Rise/Dawn/War, are kind of set in the middle of the original series, sort of, avoiding spoilers if you're not familiar with the original story arc. :)
I basically bailed after the second of the originals, it was just lacking something without Charlton, and it just did not click for me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I basically bailed after the second of the originals, it was just lacking something without Charlton, and it just did not click for me.

They're definitely not as good as the original, though Conquest is very good on its own, Battle exceptionally crap-tastic, but still worth the time to finish things up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Thing.... wow, love it, wonderful, tense, hopeless, but a great way to end it. :)

Easily top N sci-fi/horror, a couple of other I'd think are pretty incontestable:

Alien
The Fly (1986, Cronenberg)

Other faves of mine:

Scanners (Cronenberg again)
Mimic
Event Horizon
The Faculty
Cube
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Kaufman)

This sub-genre is a little tricky, like I don't think I'd call Aliens (with an S) sci-fi/horror, but it's clearly horrific, but it's got a huge action pieces, The Mist is one of the all time great horror films, I've seen it listed on "scf-i/horror" Top N lists (without getting into spoilers).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Easily top N sci-fi/horror, a couple of other I'd think are pretty incontestable:

Alien

Other faves of mine:

Mimic
Event Horizon
The Faculty
Cube

This sub-genre is a little tricky, like I don't think I'd call Aliens (with an S) sci-fi/horror, but it's clearly horrific, but it's got a huge action pieces, The Mist is one of the all time great horror films, I've seen it listed on "scf-i/horror" Top N lists (without getting into spoilers).
The Fly 1986 gave me the serious creeps. :oops:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Thing.... wow, love it, wonderful, tense, hopeless, but a great way to end it. :)
And Who Goes There? upon which was based was written in freaking 1938. Amazingly good as a story, which the prime scare, not knowing who to trust, the 50's version of the movie although excellent for the 50s, completely blew off.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

You could always watch the sequel, "Escape from LA". I've never seen it, but I have to wonder if it contains any references to traffic on the 405.

Alien

Other faves of mine:

Mimic
Event Horizon
The Faculty
Cube

It would be a little different for me, although those are good choices.

Strange Days
28 days later
Alien (first movie)
Bladerunner (huge fan of this as well)
The Omen
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind (cheesy, but I still like it, laugh all you want)

I don't typically watch films multiple times. Occasionally I'll re-watch after a few years if I have forgotten parts of one.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
You could always watch the sequel, "Escape from LA". I've never seen it, but I have to wonder if it contains any references to traffic on the 405.

Strange Days
28 days later
Alien (first movie)
The Omen
District 9
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind (cheesy, but I still like it, laugh all you want)

I don't typically watch films multiple times. Occasionally I'll re-watch after a few years if I have forgotten parts of one.
Never watched Escape/LA. Never will. I know it’s got Snake Plisken surfing and, in my mind, Snake sure as shit doesn’t surf. Thought he was dead, anyway.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Strange Days
28 days later
Alien (first movie)
The Omen
District 9

Oh yeah, those are amazing films, Blade Runner, it's in my Top 10 of all time, but I was talking specifically about Sci-Fi Horror (maybe the '/' was a bad choice as it might be read as "or").

SciFi Horror
Alien (first movie)
28 days later

SciFi Thriller and/or maybe Cyberpunk
Strange Days
District 9 (Thriller but maybe Alien Invasion)

Supernatural Horror
The Omen

SciFi Drama[?]

@thekev Agreed, edited :D

Last edited:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, those are amazing films, Blade Runner, it's in my Top 10 of all time, but I was talking specifically about Sci-Fi Horror (maybe the '/' was a bad choice as it might be read as "or").

SciFi Horror
Alien (first movie)

SciFi Thriller and/or maybe Cyberpunk
Strange Days
District 9 (Thriller but maybe Alien Invasion)

Supernatural Horror
The Omen

SciFi Drama[?]

"Zombie" Horror - maybe this could go under SciFi Horror?
28 days later

Oh I get you now. I previously read it as "SciFi and Horror", rather than the product of those two genres.

"28 days later" definitely fits SciFi Horror. It has the social commentary aspect that's common in SciFi in addition to a premise built around a rage virus as opposed to any kind of reanimation. Bladerunner's style lends itself slightly to SciFi Horror in the way it's filmed/edited, although Alien is the closest to that exact genre.

Edit: Also I like the movie Matchstick Men...

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh I get you now. I previously read it as "SciFi and Horror", rather than the product of those two genres.

"28 days later" definitely fits SciFi Horror. It has the social commentary aspect that's common in SciFi in addition to a premise built around a rage virus as opposed to any kind of reanimation. Bladerunner's style lends itself slightly to SciFi Horror in the way it's filmed/edited, although Alien is the closest to that exact genre.

Edit: Also I like the movie Matchstick Men...
28 days later was good, a nice twist on the zombie genre.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
28 days later was good, a nice twist on the zombie genre.

It's pretty fantastic, incredible director and writer (Boyle and Garland), awesome music by John Murphy, some slick production tricks, FAST ZOMBIES, incredible cast.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's pretty fantastic, incredible director and writer (Boyle and Garland), awesome music by John Murphy, some slick production tricks, FAST ZOMBIES, incredible cast.
Boyle is awesome. A film of his I’m really fond of is Sunshine, more for its potential than actual results. Love the first two acts, but I think it’s a good example of a great film having a shitty 3rd act undermine the whole thing.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...Cube
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Kaufman)...
...The Omen...

6d21a1f1bcbb4ee472d55e94d0f53f68.jpg

"Cube" is not always easy to find, but if you can, it's an underrated movie that I wish more people knew about. Its sequel and prequel, "Cube 2: Hypercube" and "Cube Zero" were also not bad.

I've gotta see "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" again. It's been too long. Ditto with "The Omen". I remember it scaring me when I was younger and more religious. I wonder if it would have that same impact on me now.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)- 6 amazing sequences in this one movie:
  • The opening sequence- whoop’n Belrog buttocks.
  • The White Wizard
  • Exorcising King Theoden of Sauroman’s bewitchment.
  • Battle of Helmsdeep
  • The Ents march on Isengard
  • A blinding light shines on Helmsdeep.
6492184F-D414-47B1-A42C-7EBAF75FC692.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2