What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
B9658F03-6A49-437D-A9B3-C4AF367FFC23.jpeg

Old (2021)- 50% at RT, critics and audience. A group of people including their kids on holiday discover that life is shorter than they thought. A mysterious beach where aging is just crazy and you can’t run away. It’s watchable, group dynamics were good, the answer to this mystery was ok, but glad I did not buy tickets for it.

M. Night Shyamalan had some intriguing movies around the turn of the century, but it seems to difficult to keep that sharp edge.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes! This will be our first movie since 2020 :D

1653418797017.png

Next Friday! No school ! Ultra-theater with the recliners, full food and bev service, woot woot.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
3AFE6D76-B500-46C1-A2FB-7D7E392F376E.jpeg

Rogue One- A Star Wars Story (2016)- Best known as Episode 3.5, how can you be extremely happy and sad at the same time?

when they kill off the entire cast of new comers to arguably one of the most exciting and significant episodes of the series.
This movie filled a gap and brought life back to the franchise if but momentarily.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Caught Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX a few days ago. Very enjoyable. Here’s a piece on a scene with Val Kilmer but there’s also info about the camera setups inside the cockpits. The efforts to avoid CGI in favor of practical effects are impressive, with all the extra work and costs.

Tom Cruise is crazy, but he’s dead right about the value of real life stunts making a film better. Many shots of the G forces pinning back the actors faces. CGI just wouldn’t cut it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Caught Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX a few days ago. Very enjoyable. Here’s a piece on a scene with Val Kilmer but there’s also info about the camera setups inside the cockpits. The efforts to avoid CGI in favor of practical effects are impressive, with all the extra work and costs.

It was the best movie I have seen in years. Maybe a decade. As you noted, the stunts are impressive and knowing they aren't CGI, makes them more so.

Started "Death on the Nile" last night. First 45 minutes are kind of slow, but it was starting to pick up when we stopped watching. Will finish it tonight.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve gone to the movies twice in the past month or so. Both were disappointments. The first was The Secrets of Dumbledore. I wish I’d realized how quickly it would come to a streaming service. It was really meh. The other was Dr. Strange. The storyline was just bad. And sacrificing Wanda like that?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
01C1D4BA-FF96-4B4B-8CDA-E923D642B2C1.jpeg

Now streaming on Disney+. I’ll have to watch DrStrange MoM again, while I thought it was good, maybe excellent, and not too hard to follow, they equated parallel universe jumping to magic (as it should be), but the question is can I watch this story multiple times? 🤔

Someone said it was dark, I did not find it overly so as a general description, although there were dark elements as part of the story, but they did not bother me. And I do like how this is a direct tie in with the Wandavision and the Scarlet Witches inability to deal with loss.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OMG!

The Thing was so fun, experiencing it in a theater was amazing (I wanted to say "again", since I'm 99% sure I saw this during its original run). Other than a very short, kind of janky stop-motion moment at the end, even the SFX are amazing by 2022 standards (killer practical effects work by Rob Bottin).

This is the theater with huge, spaced out reclining (and heated) seats, flip out tables and a full bar and all sorts of bar and grill type food, we had parm garlic fries with chicken o_O and deliciously cold Jai Alai :D

IMG_1536_1920.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes! This will be our first movie since 2020 :D

Bob's Burgers The Movie 2022

Next Friday! No school ! Ultra-theater with the recliners, full food and bev service, woot woot.

Premiers on Hulu July 12 !! Woot!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
OMG!

The Thing was so fun, experiencing it in a theater was amazing (I wanted to say "again", since I'm 99% sure I saw this during its original run). Other than a very short, kind of janky stop-motion moment at the end, even the SFX are amazing by 2022 standards (killer practical effects work by Rob Bottin).

This is the theater with huge, spaced out reclining (and heated) seats, flip out tables and a full bar and all sorts of bar and grill type food, we had parm garlic fries with chicken o_O and deliciously cold Jai Alai :D

View attachment 15227
Not only incredibly good, but true to it’s source material, something missed in the original.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Dang, I love this film. I’m a bit old and uneducated on video games to be the target audience but the film craft here is off the charts. Casting is ridiculous, music fantastic, very funny. This film is a cult hit but really didn’t get the proper praise. I was blown away the first time watching it. Just so good.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
EC657BD4-8460-47DC-8076-1388AF69CC97.jpeg

13 Minutes (2021)- Not the 2017 movie about a plot to kill Hitler, this story opens a window into the lives of some USA Mid-Westerners just before a killer tornado hits. After it’s over, I was asking what was the point of this movie?

Spoilers follow-
It visibly paints the picture of the trauma of survivors of wholesale destruction, it is relatively low budget special effects, although the up close, watch the occupants of a house as it comes apart is impressive, and the personal lives of the gay guy, the pregnant girl, ethnic relationships seemed like as I said, a window into routine lives, with nothing profound other than the interest you may have developed as to see who survives. I was surprised that one couple
gay guys parents who willfully don’t take shelter in their storm celler
survived as it seemed highly improbable. The debris field also impressed me as I tried to guess where the set ended and the CGI took over.

As some critics observed, it fails as a disaster movie, but you may still like it. I would also suggest Twister (1996) which follows a group of competing tornado hunters, big budget thrills and visuals.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Watched the second Downton Abbey movie a few days ago. It won't attract a new audience, but we've been fans of the series for years and enjoyed it even more than the last film. It's still playing in theaters, so we were glad to find it streaming. The rental price was around $20, but we considered it worth it to avoid a venue where almost nobody would be masked in a place with high community COVID transmission. We also saved money on refreshments. I want to see Top Gun: Maverick, but am willing to wait another month or two until it appears online.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pleasantville, on Hulu. It get compared to The Truman Show, both about fake perfect suburban worlds and they were released close to each other. I think both are great movies but, I’m somehow drawn to Pleasantville a bit more. It’s weird in a great way. Casting is outrageous.

Both films are dark, but Pleasantville….the scene in the packed diner with the song Take Five is one my favorite scenes in cinema. There‘s a surreal tension that’s appealing.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
B45E49D4-9564-4CC1-BCB0-22F23D9F7904.jpeg

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)- If you have never seen this, watching the series first is a must. As a stand alone, don’t bother.

However, if you are vested in the series (97% audience score at RT), it’s good if you just want to spend some more time familiar characters you like. The Dowager Countess of Grantham inherits a Villa in the South of France from a romantic admirer from decades ago, the obvious question why would someone do this, along with some intrigue about whom a parent could be, a movie gets filmed at Downton to pay for a new roof, Violet Crawley bows out.

These brief interludes from 2019 and now 2022, just don’t cut it as compared to a series. It’s why I prefer a series to remain a series and a movie remain a movie franchise.

i enjoyed reading the critical reviews over at Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/do...views?intcmp=rt-scorecard_tomatometer-reviews
  • The Anglophile equivalent of a Big Mac.
  • The trials and tribulations of passive income earners, where every other scene seems to be a discussion over tea and crumpets on who is inheriting what, is almost delightfully absurd this time around

Top Bottom
1 2