What Movie Are You Watching?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Top Gun Maverick (2022)- Good movie! Entertaining, exciting, a huge bow to it’s past, great practical effects and visuals just maintain some suspension of disbelief and you’re good to go! :D

Watched it yesterday. Agree, highly entertaining, exciting, and silly at the same time, even though I knew what was coming.

So, what's the third installment going to be? Maybe Top Gun: Geriatric.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched it yesterday. Agree, highly entertaining, exciting, and silly at the same time, even though I knew what was coming.

So, what's the third installment going to be? Maybe Top Gun: Geriatric.
I should of said it is a requirement to maintain a solid suspension of disbelief… :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The below cited posts are from aways back but I've been thinking about the cost of digital entertainment lately compared to in-theater experience and wondering how inflation pressures may affect spending on movies --in person or on digital platforms or cable-- in a year when gas prices smacked down so many pieces of so many people's budgets.

No swell blockbuster is going to score an in-theater price around here that runs to even $12 since average run of mill flicks are pegged between 6.50 to 8.50 max. People do use streaming platforms or shell out for a cable package or equivalent in streaming packages, but they also engage in churn of those platforms month to month, and are highly unlikely to part with north of $20 to rent an early viewing of a new alleged blockbuster.

Sure this sort of delayed gratificaion is involuntary and probably temporary but the experience is new to some people (judging from all the whining?). It might even accustom people to thinking a little longer before they drop a buck on whatever strikes their fancy at the moment. Of course this route in a consumerist economy might not be exactly what the doctor ordered...

But that $35 is what you pay for a night the movies. You're out on the town, you're in the theater, you're with a crowd. At that price, they're asking you to pay for the equivalent of an experience you're not getting.

$35 for a rental is just too much.

When you stop to consider you could get Disney+ for a month for $6.99 and then watch Hamilton a bazillion times, anything over that for a single use watch is too much.

Anyway I'm making my way through watch lists on some platforms I'm dropping by end October. I want to spend more time with PBS Passport and Film Movement subs that I tend to neglect but can always find something I do enjoy.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The below cited posts are from aways back but I've been thinking about the cost of digital entertainment lately compared to in-theater experience and wondering how inflation pressures may affect spending on movies --in person or on digital platforms or cable-- in a year when gas prices smacked down so many pieces of so many people's budgets.
I no longer enjoy the movie going experience. I have no problem waiting a month or two to see a new release, and I’m still catching films from 2020 that I never saw.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Get Out (2017)- A most excellent horror movie tailored for African Americans* that hopefully most of the audience can relate too and enjoy regardless of your ethnic background. If you get to see the alternate ending, that was the one the director first wanted because he thought it was the most realistic. Audiences hated it as compared to the actual theatrical release ending.

* Maybe not worded correctly, but it is something that I think resonates.

79799A1B-CA84-45B6-A15B-220EB0CDF026.jpeg

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Get Out (2017)- A most excellent horror movie tailored for African Americans* that hopefully most of the audience can relate too and enjoy regardless of your ethnic background. If you get to see the alternate ending, that was the one the director first wanted because he thought it was the most realistic. Audiences hated it as compared to the actual theatrical release ending.

* Maybe not worded correctly, but it is something that I think resonates.

I loved that movie. What was the alternate ending?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I loved that movie. What was the alternate ending?
At the end, his girlfriend is laying on the ground, shot in the gut, she gives him the line of still living him, and he strangles her…to death. Just then a police car shows up, but it’s not his TSA friend, it’s the regular police who immediately arrest him and 6 months later he is in jail for murder. He tells his friend his demon was removed from his childhood when he went back to try to rescue the grandmother whom he had hit with his car while trying to escape the premises.

If I had guessed what an alternate ending would be, it would have been the regular police who arrive, who see him over the girl friend who he had just been choking, she pleads for help and when he stands up they shoot him. So the alternate ending was slightly better ;), but the actual ending was a winner.

There was quite a list these possessed people living, and I imagine it would have been interesting telling for an individual or the authorities in the imagined sequel to discover them and figure out the agenda, although my impression was this immediate family and the neuro-surgeon father was the only one with the know how, which went up in smoke. But who knows, he might have shared the knowledge. ;)

The most disgusting aspect of this story is an ethnic group being abused by another because the oppressors must believe they are morally superior while being completely immoral. It reminds me of a particular win at all costs political party. :unsure:

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I no longer enjoy the movie going experience. I have no problem waiting a month or two to see a new release, and I’m still catching films from 2020 that I never saw.
What's not to love? The sticky floors, the people that talk all the way through the movie (especially the quiet parts, so you miss key plot-driving dialogue), the people with chronic BO / smoker / pot smoker that manage to cram themselves into a seat right next to you, or the 20 minutes of commercials you get subjected to, prior to the previews? :D

Yeah - it has to be something stellar for me to go to a movie theatre anymore. Dune was the last time.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What's not to love? The sticky floors, the people that talk all the way through the movie (especially the quiet parts, so you miss key plot-driving dialogue), the people with chronic BO / smoker / pot smoker that manage to cram themselves into a seat right next to you, or the 20 minutes of commercials you get subjected to, prior to the previews? :D

Yeah - it has to be something stellar for me to go to a movie theatre anymore. Dune was the last time.

Gee you left out the part where someone releases a shoebox full of white mice in the theatre, apparently meant as political protest but of course having a general effect of clearing the place out.

Yeah happened to me in NYC in the mid 70s. After the perp was detained, since he was stupid enough to have been wearing bright clothing and a weird hat, turns out he was "protesting" US involvement in the overturn of the Chileans' Allende government. Like we would have had a clue? It's not like the mice were wearing little "Down with the CIA" t-shirts...

Anyway between that and the fact that audio volumes had got so jacked up by the mid to late 70s, I was into TV reruns and then video rental. Once digital formats emerged, theatre experience was all rear view for me. Rather have a few friends over and screen them for white mice at the door.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spiderhead (2022)- Psychological thriller about a relaxed, luxurious prison where the inmates have volunteered to be drug Guinea pigs, the goal to develop drugs to make people better people. It tried but failed, slow burn, not worth the payoff.

49E31D61-76D0-4478-AAB6-616912D59D98.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
OLD BOY (2013) - The American version by Spike Lee. I hesitated to watch this after enjoying the Korean original by Park Chan-work. This version is more subdued and has several changes. Disappointed in execution. I knew there would have to be some changes, but I think they watered down the intensity and the plot is even more convoluted than the original. Not sure Brolin was a wise choice for the lead.

I would love to see Spike's version which has about thirty-five extra minutes and a slightly different ending. Brolin supposedly preferred his version as well.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jurassic World Dominion (2022)- Ok, are we done now?

F83258E6-06E1-4148-83EF-94A7177C5330.jpeg
Dinos rule kind of, with the help of unscrupulous people, but they need a good story too. :oops: Promising start if you can accept the premise. Almost all of the original stars, but convoluted sinks fast story, next gen, big scary dino, unrealistic raptor chase scenes, obligatory calamity and big dino fight scene, with none other than Tim Cook as the owner of the Evil Corporation who is also obliged to be dinner. ;)

Ok, not Tim Cook just Campbell Scott, who could be his brother. 😁

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone watched RRR on Netflix? It is ca-raaazy 🤣.

On Netflix, the film is dubbed in Hindi. But, there’s a second language that the white characters are speaking, and you know that because a language barrier is a plot point between two of the characters. It MAY be Portuguese but I’ll be damned if I can find this answer in all of the internetz. Does anyone know?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone watched RRR on Netflix? It is ca-raaazy 🤣.

On Netflix, the film is dubbed in Hindi. But, there’s a second language that the white characters are speaking, and you know that because a language barrier is a plot point between two of the characters. It MAY be Portuguese but I’ll be damned if I can find this answer in all of the internetz. Does anyone know?

Watched the first hour and was quite entertained. I plan to finish it but lately an hour at a time is about all I'm able to mentally consume.

I started watching the new Elvis movie and am undecided if I will finish it. It's less of a movie or more of a highly stylized narrated music video. It's good for what it is but not really my thing.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Watched the first hour and was quite entertained. I plan to finish it but lately an hour at a time is about all I'm able to mentally consume.

I started watching the new Elvis movie and am undecided if I will finish it. It's less of a movie or more of a highly stylized narrated music video. It's good for what it is but not really my thing.
I also quit watching Elvis around half-way. My SO went to bed and I started to surf on my phone, as an example of the entertainment level. I think they missed the mark telling the Elvis story.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nope
2022 | R | 2h 10m

Written/Directed by Jordan Peele

Hahaha, I love that Wikipedia describes it as a American neo-Western science fiction horror film, OK, that probably works :D

If you think this is a "UFO story", sure, it is, as a mechanism to a tell a story: the monetization of spectacle and tragedy, forcing control for profit onto things that can't be controlled, and when that control breaks, the consequences we face.

9/10, available to rent Oct 25, available to buy today :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope
2022 | R | 2h 10m

Written/Directed by Jordan Peele

Hahaha, I love that Wikipedia describes it as a American neo-Western science fiction horror film, OK, that probably works :D

If you think this is a "UFO story", sure, it is, as a mechanism to a tell a story: the monetization of spectacle and tragedy, forcing control for profit onto things that can't be controlled, and when that control breaks, the consequences we face.

9/10, available to rent Oct 25, available to buy today :)

Saw it in the theater but unfortunately fell asleep at what was probably the most dramatic part (from what I heard) when the documentary photographer attempted the perfect shot. Not really the movie's fault I fell asleep, didn't get a lot of sleep the night before. I'll probably buy it. I loved the uniqueness of the creature and thought it was a better movie than Us.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2