What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't point out why, but I've been on a Dracula kick lately.

I started with Hammer's "Dracula, Prince of Darkness" --🍿🍿🍿-- and then graduated to not one, not two, but three different versions of the original tale.

The first one is a BBC production, "Count Dracula", with Louis Jourdan in the title role, that first aired in (I think) the 1980s. It was good but technologically primitive. 🍿🍿🍿 (YouTube)

The second was the Frank Langella film. It's a better, more expansive movie marred only by the fact that it dispenses with the entire beginning of the story involving Jonathan Harker's trip to Transylvania. For me that's the best part of the story. 🍿🍿🍿🍿 (DVD)

Last was one made for CBS some years ago by no less than Dan Curtis, in which Jack Palance played a highly menacing Dracula. It too is a great telling of the story. Surprisingly I wasn't put off by the fact that Curtis borrowed some of his motifs from Dark Shadows, including Lucy being Dracula's reincarnated love, with her own music box theme even. I had this version on DVD, but it's somewhat muddy. Amazon's edition, however, is magnificently restored, and unlike the TV version this is wide screen. It looks freaking gorgeous. 🍿🍿🍿🍿 (Amazon Prime)

I think I'm drawn to these because despite the holiday, these are dark days, both literally and figuratively, and somber horror seems to fit my mood.
I don’t remember seeing a Dracula movie I liked. As a young student, either elementary or junior high, I stumbled across Dracula, the novel and thought it was a great read and I like Salem’s Lot. :)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It's coming. The question is, are you willing to risk it going to see it?

In a bricks and mortar theatre? Uh, no way...

So... who here has actually seen Tenet? Apparently the digital formats will become available on December 15th in the USA, but not streaming yet. That might first be via HBOMax (since AT&T owns Warner which holds the exhibition rights) but not until sometime in early spring of 2021... unless of course the various digital download price points end up being over the top.

I don't regard my following comments and couple of quotes about Tenet as at all a spoiler, since much has been written about this film by reviewers in traditional and online media. But quit scrolling down now if you think you'd be put off by even a hint of what anyone has actually seen of this movie.

OF COURSE I have wanted to know what this Nolan film was all about. So of course I slid 'film review "Tenet"' into a search engine and lazily picked one from the New York Times because I was probably already logged into that site.

I do very much like Jessica Kiang's writing and her eye for detail in a film review, but nothing particularly leaped out from my scroll through the piece until I hit the bit quoted below. It became clear that Kiang had watched this movie while paying close attention to something besides the action and editing thereof, both of which likely received all due respect.

“Tenet” operates on a physiological level, in the stomach-pit rumbles of Ludwig Goransson’s score, and the dilated-pupil responses to Hoyte van Hoytema’s cinematography, which delivers the same magnificence whether observing a narratively superfluous catamaran race, or the nap and weave of Jeffrey Kurland’s immaculately creaseless costumes. Seriously, the most mind-boggling aspect of “Tenet” might be the ironing budget.

Wow. An ironing budget. Who knew? Modern filmmaking boggles the mind.

It was while watching credits roll for some blockbuster --in case they were interspersed with amusing outtakes or whatever-- that I first realized there are film production jobs behind scenes that one can routinely do around the house for north of 50 years for zero credit, plenty of exercise and damn paltry pay... exactly the same as at film studios, a friend in the business (a costume fabric buyer) hastened to say, and not in a joking manner.

Anyway, for those having seen Tenet so far in a theatre, given my not being a fan of action flicks in general, will it be worth the watch when it hits the streaming platforms?

I like spy novels and some thrillers but action-adventure movies usually not so much. One hopes this is a step up from the run of mill, since at least it seems to have had an ironing budget. :cool:

My question is possibly answered by another bit from that review (which I did find well worth the read) but I have read only that one evaluation. Sounds like there might not be enough "there there" for me beneath all the action and adventure. Kiang's take, short form:

“Tenet” dazzles the senses, but it does not move the heart — a criticism common to all of Nolan’s original films. And other widely recognized Nolan blind spots are also in evidence: it’s depressing that as fine an actress as [Elizabeth[ Debicki should be saddled with such a cipher role, given a son in lieu of a character and made responsible for the story’s only bad decisions. Everyone else performs to perfection, especially [John David] Washington’s history-less protagonist who proves that not all superheroes wear capes. Some wear the hell out of suits so dapper that one of the film’s biggest laughs comes when Nolan talisman Michael Caine glances at Washington, looking better, in his dark-blue ensemble, than possibly any human man has ever looked, and sneers Britishly, “Brooks Brothers is not going to cut it.”

Well.. time will tell. I'm not holding my breath until March or whenever they decide to stream this thing. I'm going to try some other movie first. Probably not action-adventure either.

I may opt next for a glance back at a glance back, etc. One idea is to watch Joe Wright's 2005 take on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, the one with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen (of note as Tom in the series Succession)... not least to enjoy the scoring by Dario Marianelli. The other choice might be Kenneth Lonergan’s four-part TV miniseries (2018) adaptation of Howard's End which also stars Macfadyen.

File all under part of "whatever it takes to get to the winter solstice..."

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
In a bricks and mortar theatre? Uh, no way...

So... who here has actually seen Tenet? Apparently the digital formats will become available on December 15th in the USA, but not streaming yet. That might first be via HBOMax (since AT&T owns Warner which holds the exhibition rights) but not until sometime in early spring of 2021... unless of course the various digital download price points end up being over the top.
🖐

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The 12th Man (Netflix 2017)- Alternate title: You’ll Never Feel Warm Again. ;) The true WWII story of the lone Norwegian survivor of a failed saboteur mission to Norway on the run from the Germans trying to escape to Sweden with the help of inspired countrymen and women. Long and painful to watch, but it held my interest. Foreign language, turn the subtitles on.

630E721A-E9E5-4AAC-AAB3-725A6426D158.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched Mank on Netflix. Didn‘t know what to expect and I didn’t do much research. Really enjoyed it. It tells the story of the almost uncredited writer of Citizen Kane and the inspiration behind it. Cool period piece that bounces between 1930’s and 1940’s Hollywood.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
As I avoid discussion of TENET until it's legally available, I'll instead ask...

"So how about that Monster Hunter movie?" :rolleyes:

Variety's take is a bit kind, to put it another way...
Let's be clear: it's not the Chinese government that censored the movie and pulled it from cinemas. It's the distributor after the social media outcry. The Chinese have kept score of every racist insult, every slur, every humiliation that has been dealt them by the West, including the right-wing blaming them for the coronavirus, so if they think you're insulting them again, they won't take it lying down. The producers are cutting out the scene with the bad joke not because the Chinese government is censoring it but because they want to somehow salvage the movie's box office prospects. That ship has probably sailed. Even if they convince the distributor to put it back in the cinemas, the movie is already tainted by having that joke in the first place. Everyone is going to think of it as "that movie with that crappy racist joke, even if they cut it out." The common wisdom now is that Monster Hunter is dead in China.

There are multiple lessons to be learned from this debacle. One is for movie studios not to put their eggs in the China basket, thinking they can fob off mediocre movies in hopes that a content-hungry audience will support it no matter what. China might offer the potential of massive box office earnings, but tastes can be fickle, and the audience there is canny enough not to accept any old rubbish Hollywood thinks it can foist on them.

The other lesson is for writers and filmmakers: if you want to make money from China, do not make fun of them. It's bad form to insult your hosts. Better yet, don't make any racially-charged jokes. You'll find it's so much easy NOT to do it. It'll save you a lot of trouble. And possibly make you a lot more money.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Hotel New Hampshire on Prime. I’ve never seen it before and never read the book. This film is wild. I‘ve read Garp and seen that film like 30 times so I wasn’t totally unprepared for the weirdness but dang.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Hotel New Hampshire on Prime. I’ve never seen it before and never read the book. This film is wild. I‘ve read Garp and seen that film like 30 times so I wasn’t totally unprepared for the weirdness but dang.
Is wild good? You’ve got me interested. :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is wild good? You’ve got me interested. :)
There’s some pretty taboo stuff in there. The characters are very Irving-esque in that they eschew normal social conventions. I mean, everyone is really fucking weird.

If you like World/Garp and Cider House Rules, I’d try it. Hotel/NH is not as good as the other two but definitely looser and weirder. The cast is awesome. Some things to talk about with Jodie Foster’s character but I don’t want to spoil it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I started watching "Black Christmas" (1974). You know what? Even though I've seen it before, I had to take a break in the middle of it.

It's a good movie, but it's a very unpleasant movie. The pervert in this film, the way he acts and the things he says to those women, they make me incredibly uncomfortable.

It's so bizarre because for all its grossness, I have to acknowledge it's a good film. I don't know who the actor was who played the pervert, but to make such a horrendous impression on the audience...using only his voice...!

Margot Kidder is good in this too...almost too good. Her character is such an asshole that you pretty much want the killer to do away with her.

I'm noticing a couple of other things this time around. I see that Bob Clark inverted the typical slasher movie formula in that the (purportedly) virginal girl is the first one to get killed. And as many have noted, this is a completely different kind of movie from Clark's other holiday hit, "A Christmas Story". What I'm noting now is how totally opposite they are from each other. "A Christmas Story" is (to me) almost nauseatingly sugar and sweetness. This movie, more than most I've seen, inspires feelings of unease and disgust, and is very uncomfortable to watch.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Really? It’s been remade twice, in 2006 and 2019.

Still, it’s not exactly the sort of feel-good movie TV shows a lot this time of year. 😄

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tell me if this means I've watched too many movies lately. I'll sometimes use Netlfix's reminders function to notify me when a specific new movie is released. At least once or twice a month now I'll go to watch that movie and within 5 minutes or less realize I already saw the movie, and most likely it was in the last 2 or 3 months.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tell me if this means I've watched too many movies lately. I'll sometimes use Netlfix's reminders function to notify me when a specific new movie is released. At least once or twice a month now I'll go to watch that movie and within 5 minutes or less realize I already saw the movie, and most likely it was in the last 2 or 3 months.

Can't be worse than starting to watch some Netflix film and spending 20 minutes just WONDERING if I've already seen it...

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I watched "RUN" on Hulu last night with Sarah Paulson. It was good. Kind of predictable but worth a watch.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

You should try watching Hallmark or Lifetime Christmas movies with your wife. Every movie may have a different title, but it’s like “Groundhog Day” over and over again.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ugh, even the movie thread at TOP is ruined, it's that fuckwit RP posting over and over and saying the dumbest shit, and a couple of PRSI-ers worthy of a TFG post (who I woundn't engage with socially).

So that being said, my ongoing movie spew will be focused here :D

Hahaha, I also noticed Yax moved on to a new group of "friends" :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I watched "RUN" on Hulu last night with Sarah Paulson. It was good. Kind of predictable but worth a watch.

It's pretty solid, really good performances, love Paulson, a few interesting twists and turns (though like you said, not unexpected), but nicely sustained tension.

This is also super interesting: the actor who plays the daughter, who's in a wheelchair, is actually uses a wheelchair!

Top Bottom
1 2