What Movie Are You Watching?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. I liked it, while aware of Sorkin’s flaws. I didn’t notice characters repeating dialogue back and forth which is an improvement. They must have edited that stuff out😁.

Many years ago, HBO produced a version of this story in play form, which I watched over and over.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)- The first movie in The Marvel Infinity Stone Saga. Johan Schmitt head off Hydra locates the Tesseract in a church in Norway. The product of genetic engineering, Captain America fights Hydra the scientific division of Hitler’s Army in WWII.

48290A09-0504-4B25-B8B1-3738C890ADFC.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I just read the book, we rewatched Red Sparrow (2018) and it’s actually better than the book concerning a primary plot element that they knew would surprise all those who had read the book. :) Thumbs up!

One vital aspect of the character is her ability to see most things in swirling colors in her world including the intent and honesty of people which is just fleetingly referenced in the movie.

My critique of the movie is that the story is more compressed and the 2 primary characters don’t feel like they have the same connection as in the book, which is not uncommon. The Swan episode was richer, not rushed as in the movie.The evil character feels much more evil in the book, and the fight in the book between him and them is correagraphed completely differently, with me preferring the book fight.

8B3CFBEA-7B1E-4672-874C-5044495BA036.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Overlord (2018)- WWII/horror story about a mission to knock out a German radio tower on D-Day and the soldiers on the mission discover a lab experimenting to make super soldiers, but the formula (to make the the soldiers) and the screenplay needs some work. Starts off like a traditional WWII feeling movie, gets very (holy crap) energetic, and then slides into the horror genre. No desire to see this again.

06A5CD8A-2389-4ED8-986A-475C72E296F7.jpeg

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 19.33.02.png

1913: Seeds of Conflict (PBS)
"Looks at the moment of transformation when Ottoman rule in Palestine was still strong, the identities of Jerusalemites were fluid, and few could imagine the conflict that would dominate the region for the next century. Until now, scholars have focused on the British Mandate as the matchstick of the Middle East conflict. Breaking new ground, this film focuses on the moment when Arab and Jewish nationalism first made contact, and the seeds of conflict were first sewn."
🍿🍿🍿🍿

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
4174E86E-8233-456D-9CEC-33D0490D9F5D.jpeg

Captain Marvel (2019)- Working my way back though the Marvel Infinity Stone Saga. I designated this as the 2nd movie in this saga.
This movie is so good because of:
  • The Kree-Skrull conflict.
  • A Human interest, Skrull interest story of suffering and hope.
  • The misdirection and discovery in this story
  • The self discovery of the possession of pure power.
  • The origins and source of the Avengers name and the Avengers Initiative.
  • A young Nick Fury and Agent Coulson digitally created.
  • The creation of the most powerful Avenger, someone so powerful only a being equipped with one or more Infinity Stones could beat her.
My desire: To see the showdown between Kree, The Supreme Intelligence and Captain Marvel. It should be no contest.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
0498.jpg

Vertigo
1958 (Alfred Hitchcock)
Kim Novak
James Stewart
🍿🍿🍿🍿

Breathtaking architecture and city scape scenes from 1950's San Francisco. Extraordinary low light filming sequences that are true cinematic art. Unexpected plot development. Period furniture and clothing ( of course by Edith Head).

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It occurs to me that this time of year I’m normally watching a lot of horror movies, but this year the election and coronavirus seem to have sucked all the air out of the room. I just haven’t had the same interest.

@niji, I like your “popcorn rating”. We should all do that. Is four boxes your top rating, or five?

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
It occurs to me that this time of year I’m normally watching a lot of horror movies, but this year the election and coronavirus seem to have sucked all the air out of the room. I just haven’t had the same interest.

@niji, I like your “popcorn rating”. We should all do that. Is four boxes your top rating, or five?

hi @Thomas Veil
thanks so much!!!!

my rating system:

1 through 5

🍿 there is no redeeming value to the film. not even the value of seeing a a terrible film and hating it. there is simply no value at all

🍿🍿 it was a waste of time. no enjoyment or horror or love or emotion or rejection. simply a poor film that wastes your time.

🍿🍿🍿 i found it mundane. not something that i would ever want to see again. i didn't learn or feel anything or much of anything.

🍿🍿🍿🍿 a good film that i enjoyed.

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 its nearly perfect. moved me emotionally. made me reflect. made me a wiser person. a keeper.

in this category of 5 Popcorn Boxes , i put a film such as
AUEHLORE.jpg

The above film is (in English called)
The Sense of an Ending
2017 Ritesh Batra (Director)
Charlotte Rampling
Jim Broadbent

This is a film that all married persons over the age of 45 should see. Its about how we can live with each other but not know each other, and about spousal perseverance - in this case, of the wife.
the last scene, wordless, is amazing in its poignancy.

I have long been a great fan of anything Charlotte Rampling is in. She picks her roles very well.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thor (2011)

35647950-E416-42F2-9054-A2B90FF6BF32.jpeg

I list this as movie No.3 in sequence of Marvel’s Infinity Stone Saga, but No.1 in story, (if you like this genre), one of the best that mixes modern day New Mexico with half the movie splendidly delving into Norse Mythology. These days CGI is so good, you know it’s not real but it looks real, so then you can wonder how much of it is real?

The town of Puente Antiguo was a set built on a movie ranch. I remember the first time I watched it, wondering how they got away with so much destruction in these people’s town, which in many cases were practical effects. ;)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thor (2011)

I list this as movie No.3 in sequence of Marvel’s Infinity Stone Saga, but No.1 in story, (if you like this genre), one of the best that mixes modern day New Mexico with half the movie splendidly delving into Norse Mythology. These days CGI is so good, you know it’s not real but it looks real, so then you can wonder how much of it is real?

The town of Puente Antiguo was a set built on a movie ranch. I remember the first time I watched it, wondering how they got away with so much destruction in these people’s town, which in many cases were practical effects. ;)
Wow, you are ranking that very high. Branagh did a great job putting out a film with an inherently boring character. It was better than it deserved to be (and certainly superior to Thor 2) but it’d likely be in the double digits if I’m ranking.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, you are ranking that very high. Branagh did a great job putting out a film with an inherently boring character. It was better than it deserved to be (and certainly superior to Thor 2) but it’d likely be in the double digits if I’m ranking.
You disagreement is registered. :) As a gage, how do you feel about super hero movies in general? What do you qualify as top notch In this genre?

My requirements for super hero movies might not mesh with more serious fare, but if it makes any difference, this is both an entertainment rating and a rating within the spectrum of Marvel’s Infinity Stone Saga as I coined it.

I thoroughly and completely enjoy this story and don’t find anything boring about Thor or the supporting characters. My wife loves it too, without having to talk her into it. ;)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the MCU. What they’ve pulled off is remarkable, especially since I’d consider several of them to be great. The fight for top 3 for me is between 5 of the films (Cap 2, Avengers 1, 3 and 4) and Ragnorok.

They changed Thor as they went. During Thor 1 they sure as shit had no plan to make him funny. They were lucky Waititi came along and Hemsworth has good comedic chops. Ragnorok is kind of a miracle.

Wasn’t trying to be confrontational, I’m obviously interested in the topic.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the MCU. What they’ve pulled off is remarkable, especially since I’d consider several of them to be great. The fight for top 3 for me is between 5 of the films (Cap 2, Avengers 1, 3 and 4) and Ragnorok.

They changed Thor as they went. During Thor 1 they sure as shit had no plan to make him funny. They were lucky Waititi came along and Hemsworth has good comedic chops. Ragnorok is kind of a miracle.

Wasn’t trying to be confrontational, I’m obviously interested in the topic.
No problem at all. :)

If you remember in Thor there was a series of comic events, him being hit by Jane’s van twice, being tased, him being injected in the hospital, and smashing his coffee cup on the ground to demand another and Jane counciling him not to smash, along with Darcy volunteering to give him CPR.

The high points in this movie for myself, was the portrayal of the Ice Giants, Thor gaining perspective after being banned and reduced to mortal, very conflicted Loki, the onscreen power and presence of Antony Hopkins (Odin), Idris Elba (Heimdal) and especially Natalie Portman who was electric, lighting up every scene she was in. It’s one of the best examples, maybe a crush too ;), but of where I became suddenly aware of the power of an actor to rule on screen. There is nothing about this movie I can say is boring, but can accept disagreements. :)

Off the top of my head, I can watch them all, but I rank the following MCU films as favorites in no particular order:
  • Thor
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2
  • Avengers Infinity War
  • Spider-Man 1&2
  • X-Men 1&2

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thor: The Dark World (2013)- Infinity Stone movie No.5. I liked Thor/Loki/Jane interaction, but the story was just ok. It did lead to Thor:Ragnarok. :)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)- Infinity Stone movie No.6 featuring Shield, Hydra, minus the Infinitu Stone, featuring Capt America’s best buddy. Good story!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Galaxy Quest (1999)- Love this movie! Includes a PG rated inter-species sex scene with suggestive noises. Gwen Demarco: Why does it always have to be ducts?! :D

21A13EA8-B9AE-4A37-A7AF-FCC40136D875.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2