What Movie Are You Watching?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if anybody remembers this one.

spectre1.jpg

It has absolutely nothing to do with James Bond. It's a two hour pilot for a supernatural series from Gene Roddenberry. For its era it was pretty good, I thought. Too bad it never became a series.

Robert Culp, Gig Young, John Hurt
Directed by Clive Donner
YouTube (unofficial)

On the niji scale: 🍿🍿🍿🍿 Hardly a work of art, just pleasantly entertaining.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if anybody remembers this one.

It has absolutely nothing to do with James Bond. It's a two hour pilot for a supernatural series from Gene Roddenberry. For its era it was pretty good, I thought. Too bad it never became a series.

Robert Culp, Gig Young, John Hurt
Directed by Clive Donner
YouTube (unofficial)

On the niji scale: 🍿🍿🍿🍿 Hardly a work of art, just pleasantly entertaining.

hi @Thomas Veil i will look forward to seeing spectre. thanks!!!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)- 91% RTAS. I saw this in the theater. What an outstanding story, fantasy mingles with the brutality of the Spanish Civil War with a real human villain. Three Academy Awards. In Spanish with sub-titles.

D59770C7-934C-4F1C-B3F0-2E8188BCCCC0.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)- 83% RTAS. The Mind Stone, Black Widow, Capt America, Hawkeye, The Hulk, Iron Man, Quick Silver, Scarlet Witch, Thor, and Vision. The best Hulk- Big Iron Man fight. I liked it.

It’s too bad they made Quick Silver a one movie character.

Where did this AI found in Loki’s sceptre, that he got from Thanos/The Others come from? Now granted it could be that this was much more than Tony Stark realized it could be and it surprised him, but the whole idea of oh look an alien AI, let’s use it for something, instead of studying it for 10 years, seemed a bit rushed. Now it can argued, Tony got in over his head, not realizing the abilities of this AI program.

D32A5422-64DB-495C-BA50-2B9BFD69AAA2.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched 4 Weddings and a Funeral last night after not seeing it for many years. I was kind of blown away at how good it was. Performances, dialogue, cinematography, just a really solid film.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ant Man (2015)- Dr Pym, the Pym Particle, Dr Pym used to work for Stark Industries, but he did not want to unleash this dangerous technology on the world. An excellent story, with humor featuring in passing Howard Stark, Falcon, Shield, and Hydra.

EEF01D0F-A413-4C35-ACE2-4BBB19DC2CC8.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Captain America: Civil War (2016)- Avengers have to deal with governments who want to put them on a short chain, and by the title you can presume they are not all on the same page, a kick ass Avenger vs Avenger fight. Ant Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Bucky (Winter Soldier), Captain America, Falcon, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Raven, Rhoady, Spiderman, and Vision. Bucky continues to be manipulated as Captain America seeks to rehabilitate him with the help of Raven, Scarlett Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man. Post credit scene:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Captain America: Civil War (2016)- Avengers have to deal with governments who want to put them on a short chain, and by the title you can presume they are not all on the same page, a kick ass Avenger vs Avenger fight. Ant Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Bucky (Winter Soldier), Captain America, Falcon, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Raven, Rhoady, Spiderman, and Vision. Bucky continues to be manipulated as Captain America seeks to rehabilitate him with the help of Raven, Scarlett Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man. Post credit scene:

Probably belongs in the top 5. In a way, it became the best Avengers film until Infinity War. Having the ending be small scale was very smart, particularly after the airport scene. The Russos outdid themselves with each film.

So, you’re watching them all? You may have said that earlier and I missed it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Snowden, on Netflix. It’s a good watch, and restrained for an Oliver Stone film. I’m torn on what to do with Snowden. I’m wondering if Obama addresses him in his new book.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably belongs in the top 5. In a way, it became the best Avengers film until Infinity War. Having the ending be small scale was very smart, particularly after the airport scene. The Russos outdid themselves with each film.

So, you’re watching them all? You may have said that earlier and I missed it.
Yes, we are going down the list. As a matter of fact Just watched Dr Strange (2016) and Benidict Cumberbatch does an excellent job portraying egotistical Dr. Strange as he saves the world. :)

Btw, have you seen my thread at the other site: The Marvel’s Avengers Infinity Stone Saga? Possibly more info than you want to know. :) I just updated the description for Dr. Strange.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Had some time yesterday, and since HBO added The Dead Don’t Die, I gave it a watch. Interesting movie with an amazing cast. More movies should end that way.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Had some time yesterday, and since HBO added The Dead Don’t Die, I gave it a watch. Interesting movie with an amazing cast. More movies should end that way.
I just got through watching that!

Yeah, great cast...and a really strange, understated sense of humor.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy 2- One of my favorite Marvel, Infinity Stone related stories. Great story, laugh out loud humor, actually emotionally touching, great music, and incredible clean cut CGI visuals. The opening sequence, the choreography that mixes the fight against an inter-dimensional beast for the Sovereign, visuals, music, with little dancing Groot in the middle of it is an impressive sight... if you are into it. 🚀 :unsure:

56E1A31E-3C59-4AB1-94CD-F038E1377818.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)- 91% RTAS. I saw this in the theater. What an outstanding story, fantasy mingles with the brutality of the Spanish Civil War with a real human villain. Three Academy Awards. In Spanish with sub-titles.

Love that movie and am a big del Toro fan. Seriously bummed Antlers is still delayed because of COVID.

This is a limited edition book signed by del Toro on behind the scenes and making of Crimson Peak I have.

5E6C0675-2E4B-49CD-AE93-B3D3F0D1439E.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy 2- One of my favorite Marvel, Infinity Stone related stories. Great story, laugh out loud humor, actually emotionally touching, great music, and incredible clean cut CGI visuals. The opening sequence, the choreography that mixes the fight against an inter-dimensional beast for the Sovereign, visuals, music, with little dancing Groot in the middle of it is an impressive sight... if you are into it. 🚀 :unsure:

Like the film. My favorite scene is the funeral with Father and Son playing. Introducing Cat Stevens to young people is a public service.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
p14365_v_v10_aa.jpg

"Diabolique", an old classic I've always meant to see and finally did. It was slow-moving by modern standards but nicely suspenseful.

About the time Christina is awakened by someone prowling around the school at night, I put it together. The mistress had left, leaving Christina alone. And it'd already been established that Christina had a weak constitution. I'll bet the husband is still alive and this is a plot he's been working on with the mistress to get her money and run off together. Sure enough...

The one I wasn't expecting was a shabbily-dressed cop who asks a lot of "innocent" questions that make the killer(s) nervous. That (understandably) never appeared in any of the plot descriptions I'd read. But once he showed up I quickly ended up thinking, that's gotta be where they got the idea for Columbo. Sure enough...

I don't give myself any real credit for guessing the ending, though. The plot has been copied by everybody from Scooby-Doo to a dozen 1970s Movie of the Week variants. So no great brilliance on my part.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Treasure Island (1990)- I love this version with Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston and a young Christian Bale. Surprising the latest version of this movie sold was low quality DVD burned from VHS, terrible picture quality, that is until Amazon came up with and rents/sell a high def version for online viewing, acceptable quality for large screen TVs.

Bounty II built in 1960, sunk in 2012 Hurricane Sandy.

6E44BFDA-1E42-494B-9095-2A747FE72D00.jpeg

Last edited:

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
C7@D.Wenders_Everything-Will-Be-Fine.jpg

Every Thing Will Be Fine (Wim Wenders, Director) 2015
James Franco
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Marie-Josée Croze
Robert Naylor
🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

My take away from this film:
Although we are sometimes by ourselves or with others, we are always alone.
One way to overcome the loneliness is to face your fears and grow to new identities.
NB: Although I give it a 5, you really need to be a Wim Wenders fan to appreciate this film.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2