What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
ED74A1C8-3EEB-4983-BC2C-CC85382FC94C.jpeg]
Thor (2011)- Thumbs Up!​

Excellent combination of lore and modern story line.

Has anyone watched The Dig on Netflix? If so, thoughts? It's been recommended.

I remenber a game called The Dig, any relationship I wonder, but your image does not look like it.

6A9743C6-8604-406A-98E8-E53703139A7B.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Has anyone watched Nomadland yet? It's also on my list to check out.

Spectacular reviews, dozens of award noms __and__ Frances McDormand, sounds amazing.

The director (and writer and producer), Chloe Zhao, is terrific, I'd highly recommend her previous film, The Rider, I have __not__ seen her debut, Songs My Brothers Taught Me, but it has the same critical raves.

She is also, directing (and again, also writing) the Marvel Eternals movie.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Hateful 8- (2015 Extended Version) 76% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score. Basically how to waste 4 hours of your life. I only hung in there because of the name Tarentino, waiting, hoping for a payoff. Hopes dashed, lol. :)

• Best Quality: Photography, it really felt like this was filmed in a blizzard in Wyoming. Nice cinematography for what there was of the outdoors. I wondered if this was cgi or real snow.
  • Favorite actor: Walton Goggins, as Sherrif Mannix.
  • Characters: Almost interesting if they had been connected to a good story.
  • Story: I guess it could of happened like this, but the role of a story teller is to pull you in, wow you with his/her brilliance. After the first of 4, approx 1 hour episodes, with endless slightly colorful, but droning chit chat, I was like, get to the point. I hung on because of the name Tarantino.
  • Acting: Over acted or if you prefer flamboyant acting. I’m sure the director wanted this. In light of the other mentioned factors. these characters were on the edge of being interesting.
  • Dialog: Labored, lots of almost intriguing interactions.
  • Violence: Extreme with gallons of blood pouring out of people, a Tarantino tradition, yes?
  • Sex: Hmm, male nudity, and a depiction of a forced male/male sex act. No points from me. :)
  • As a 2 Hr movie, I think it would have bombed at the theater. Was it at the theater?
  • Episode 4 is the fill in the blanks episode, I did not care at that point.
  • Verdict: Spend 4 hours of your life watching something better.

I don't hate Tarantino movies, but I'm somewhat lukewarm to most of them. The non-extended version of "Hateful 8" I actually liked, to my own surprise. There's an "over-the-top-ness" about his films that I sort of think of as "modern camp". Heck, this one, even the title is camp. 😁

I have no idea whether the extended version ever made it into theaters. I suspect not.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I don't hate Tarantino movies, but I'm somewhat lukewarm to most of them. The non-extended version of "Hateful 8" I actually liked, to my own surprise. There's an "over-the-top-ness" about his films that I sort of think of as "modern camp". Heck, this one, even the title is camp. 😁

I have no idea whether the extended version ever made it into theaters. I suspect not.

I think that "camp" is an excellent description, and it is a version of "camp" that is akin to the "camp" one also saw in some spaghetti westerns, with their balletic choreography of bottomless Baroque and - almost operatic - violence.

For what it is worth, I liked the work of the early Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown in particular, Resevoir Dogs, to a lesser extent.

Those movies had excellent scripts, which allowed for some character devlopment, and thus, gave them a depth and heft and meaning beyond the operatic violence - and, indeed, put the violence in a context, one framed by a story that was driven by the actions (and motivations) of the individuals in that story.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I watched “The Giant Mechanical Man” yesterday. I enjoyed it… it stars Jenna Fischer (from The Office).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I watched “The Giant Mechanical Man” yesterday. I enjoyed it… it stars Jenna Fischer (from The Office).

Fan of Chris Messina too, he's terrific in the latest season of The Sinner.

I think that "camp" is an excellent description, and it is a version of "camp" that is akin to the "camp" one also saw in some spaghetti westerns, with their balletic choreography of bottomless Baroque and - almost operatic - violence.

Spot on, it's absolutely a love letter to revisionist westerns (The Wild Bunch), exploitative flavors of the genre (popularized by Sergio Leone), while maintaining the grand, sweeping visual style of old school traditional western (anything by John Ford), I'd roll Django Unchained into this same sort of hybrid western style of QT's.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Fan of Chris Messina too, he's terrific in the latest season of The Sinner.

Spot on, it's absolutely a love letter to revisionist westerns (The Wild Bunch), exploitative flavors of the genre (popularized by Sergio Leone), while maintaining the grand, sweeping visual style of old school traditional western (anything by John Ford), I'd roll Django Unchained into this same sort of hybrid western style of QT's.

Yes, Django Unchained, agreed, would also - to my mind - merit inclusion when considering the "earlier" movie style of Tarantino (the performances of both Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz add immeasurably to the movie).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I have no idea how much more extended, the extended version is. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have no idea how much more extended, the extended version is. :)

Regular theatrical release was 168 minutes, the Netflix "mini-series" was 210 minutes (released as 4 chapters), so 42 minutes longer for the latter. There was also a roadshow version, kind of a special pre-screening, that had an additional 6 minutes, some slightly different edits, an intermission, don't think that's been released through normal channels.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just watched I care a lot on Netflix it was really good and unexpected.

I enjoyed it for the most part. It's as advertised but also goes off the rails in ways you wouldn't expect, but also in ways I thought were completely unrealistic. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but I felt the 1/2 of the movie still stayed in the realm of feasible. Then it just got silly, not the least of which was the police just kind of not investigating anything. Also, they could have chopped off about 20 minutes.

Silliest part for me was Peter Dinklage going into the bank with a baseball cap on and pulling it down so his face wouldn't be caught on the security camera. At the risk of getting canceled, I'm going to say he has other attributes that a baseball cap wouldn't help disguise.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Checked out Mortal on Amazon. I never heard of it before, but the premise sounded interesting and it was highly rated. I thought it was good. I don't want to give away the twist and will just say if you liked Brightburn then you might like Mortal.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I enjoyed it for the most part. It's as advertised but also goes off the rails in ways you wouldn't expect, but also in ways I thought were completely unrealistic. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but I felt the 1/2 of the movie still stayed in the realm of feasible. Then it just got silly, not the least of which was the police just kind of not investigating anything. Also, they could have chopped off about 20 minutes.

Silliest part for me was Peter Dinklage going into the bank with a baseball cap on and pulling it down so his face wouldn't be caught on the security camera. At the risk of getting canceled, I'm going to say he has other attributes that a baseball cap wouldn't help disguise.
I think the cop was one of her employees like the judge and doctor. ya the baseball cap was silly.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the cop was one of her employees like the judge and doctor. ya the baseball cap was silly.

I don’t think a known mob associate could go into an assisted living facility and shoot up the place to kidnap a rich woman and the whole police force would just go “Well, that was random.” and call it a day. Just saying they started out with some sense of feasibility to the whole story, and then went off the rails with things like that. In the beginning I thought it was going to be more like The Big Short of elderly guardianship abuse and corruption.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think a known mob associate could go into an assisted living facility and shoot up the place to kidnap a rich woman and the whole police force would just go “Well, that was random.” and call it a day. Just saying they started out with some sense of feasibility to the whole story, and then went off the rails with things like that. In the beginning I thought it was going to be more like The Big Short of elderly guardianship abuse and corruption.
ya for sure.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I enjoyed it for the most part. It's as advertised but also goes off the rails in ways you wouldn't expect, but also in ways I thought were completely unrealistic.

When Marla started going at people with a baseball bat, it was either eye-rolling-ly silly, or hysterically dark take on the legal system and the predatory nature of lawyers. My "in head" jury is still out ...

Checked out Mortal on Amazon. I never heard of it before, but the premise sounded interesting and it was highly rated. I thought it was good. I don't want to give away the twist and will just say if you liked Brightburn then you might like Mortal.

Excellent, yeah, Mortal is "free" on Prime, with very solid reviews, might watch this tonight.

We never did get to see Brightburn, it just keeps circulating on the couple of services we don't have (I mean, if it's not on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBOMax, Epix, SHO, or one of the dozen or so "medium tier" services we get, I give up ...).

Top Bottom
1 2