What Movie Are You Watching?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did anybody see The Eternals? I see it’s coming to Disney+

Just now finished it. Meh. It really drags after a certain point. And a lot of the characters don’t get enough screen time. And the plot doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Post credit scenes were fun.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just now finished it. Meh. It really drags after a certain point. And a lot of the characters don’t get enough screen time. And the plot doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

This is a much nicer review than I can give. Completely agree about the character (under)development, they give you no chance to get invested into them and then try to evoke emotion around their situations, in reality you really didn't care either way what happened to them.

It starts out introducing Kit Harington as the love interest and that was compelling, then they pretty much write him out after 10 minutes and replace him with Ikaris, some model actor who she got back together with after a 2000 year breakup. Totally stupid, surely leaving viewers confused.

I don't know, maybe there's a plot theme from a comic it was following but I just couldn't get into it.

The effects are really good but the story was all over the map and the cheese was strong. Best advice I can give is to watch with the mute button on.

D

Deleted member 215

Last night I watched Maurice. (I had read the book first and I considered to be a good adaptation). I'd like to see more Merchant Ivory films.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm finally going to give Bright Star (2009) a least a chance later today. It's about the poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, his muse and a last love of his too short life. Someone emailed me (again!) a still photo of Fanny sitting in a wonderful meadow, full of wild delphinium or some such wonderful flowers, her back to us while reading one of Keats' letters or poems. I'll draw the drapes against subzero cold here at sunset and prepare to be transported to a milder climate. Willing to settle for period costumes and other cinematic attractions and overlook any overshooting on sentimentality... I think. Time will tell!

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Watched Fellini's Casanova. (Time to time you have to watch classics).

Casanova_moviep.jpg

I have seen it in the early 80s for the first time. I liked it then.

Today.... well...

I'll never be a Fellini fan.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did anybody see The Eternals? I see it’s coming to Disney+

This is a much nicer review than I can give. Completely agree about the character (under)development, they give you no chance to get invested into them and then try to evoke emotion around their situations, in reality you really didn't care either way what happened to them.

I don't know, maybe there's a plot theme from a comic it was following but I just couldn't get into it.

The effects are really good but the story was all over the map and the cheese was strong. Best advice I can give is to watch with the mute button on.

Chloe Zhao is a super talented filmmaker, and some of the exterior, non-green-screen shots were stunning (she made a big deal about using natural/real locations), but everything else was just so incredibly generic, the heroes, the nameless bad guys, most of the plot points.

I get that Marvel was trying to introduce the idea of The Eternals and this whole notion of cosmic beings (like the brief intro to the Celestials in the GotG movies). To set up the players, scale and potential threats of the next phase, but The Eternals just couldn't carry their own movie (especially one with a 156 minute runtime - I feel like there's an easy 30-40 minutes they could trim).

Visually it's pretty terrific, there's a few fun character beats here and there, if you already have D+ (how we saw it), it's worth tossing on if you're at all into the MCU, it at least establishes a few things and introduces some fun stuff at the very end.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
MV5BMTk4NTcxNTQ5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTk5OTU4OTE@._V1_.jpg

"Ouija: Origin of Evil" (HBO).

My first time seeing one of these, but I like Mike Flanagan's work. As expected, good story and suspenseful direction. Like Midnight Mass, it starts a little slow, but when it rocks, it rocks.

Nice bit of misdirection near the end when Flanagan shows Lina in the shadows and out of focus. You expect the worst...until she comes close to her mom and she looks perfectly normal. Then...

B+

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Encanto
2021 | PG | 1h 42m

Dazzling animation and character design, terrific music (a couple are can't-get-them-out-my-head amazing, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda), wonderful take of family, love, one of Disney's best (especially more modern) films.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ruthless People (1986)- Love this comedy and the cast, about the kidnapping of the wife of a wealthy couple, by a financially struggling couple whose idea was stolen by Danny DeVito. ;)

EE6B6057-BAF0-44DB-BC85-4D389691C831.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t know what’s more disgusting, letting little kids watch The Alien franchise being just a few years old or let them pose with fake weapons at this age. Either way, yuck.
This reminds me of a story:
My parents took me to a drive-in theater to see Alien. I was 8 or 9 years old. I’m sure my parents were surprised by the gore level. I was freaked out and spent a lot of the film hiding behind my mother’s passenger seat. It was way way too much for me. I had nightmares all night with what little sleep I got.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t know what’s more disgusting, letting little kids watch The Alien franchise being just a few years old or let them pose with fake weapons at this age. Either way, yuck.
What about Jurassic Park? :)
Of interest our Grandson watched and loved Jurassic Park when he was 3, but somewhere around 5-7 he got scared of it I think based on maturing awareness.

He also loved playing Left 4 Dead a favorite post-apocalyptic zombie shooter, but when we sat down to watch Shaun of the Dead, a comedy, he ended up leaving the room, the scene when a character gets their guts ripped out. Realism can be harder to handle.

C41E13CD-7E19-4C72-ABCD-00E222714BE4.jpeg
Left 4 Dead Chapter​

Now if there is some gun worship there among approving parents, we really don’t need that, but practically any person who has grown up in the last several decades has been immersed in guns by popular video games, of which I am guilty of playing. I remember as a teen really wanting a shot gun for Christmas and getting it. But guns these days have taken on a meaning which is dangerous, more so than 5 decades ago.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My parents took me to a drive-in theater to see Alien. I was 8 or 9 years old. I’m sure my parents were surprised by the gore level. I was freaked out and spent a lot of the film hiding behind my mother’s passenger seat. It was way way too much for me. I had nightmares all night with what little sleep I got.

Granted as a child watching horror of the 1950-early 60s, I did not not have to generally deal with something like watching an alien burst from someone’s chest, but I dealt with what I saw usually saw by drapping a coat over my head at the theater and peaking when it was safe. :)

Speaking of gore, there was a movie called Caltiki, The Immortal Monster, a Blob competitor and there were some things in that movie that would (I think) give young kids today nightmares, people being reduced to bloody skeletons.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yup, my kids would have a heart attack with any Alien movie. 😄

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
What about Jurassic Park? :)
Of interest our Grandson watched and loved Jurassic Park when he was 3, but somewhere around 5-7 he got scared of it I think based on maturing awareness.

He also loved playing Left 4 Dead a favorite post-apocalyptic zombie shooter, but when we sat down to watch Shaun of the Dead, a comedy, he ended up leaving the room, the scene when a character gets their guts ripped out. Realism can be harder to handle.

View attachment 11151
Left 4 Dead Chapter​

Now if there is some gun worship there among approving parents, we really don’t need that, but practically any person who has grown up in the last several decades has been immersed in guns by popular video games, of which I am guilty of playing. I remember as a teen really wanting a shot gun for Christmas and getting it. But guns these days have taken on a meaning which is dangerous, more so than 5 decades ago.
My oldest is close to four and couldn’t make it through any of the scary scenes in Jurassic Park and I’ll be damned if I drag them into this silly gun culture sooner than necessary. Letting a young kid shoot zombies is a head scratcher to me honestly. There’s so much constructive stuff they can learn and do and shooters are not on that list for me.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Cardio is the #1 rule when it comes to the zombie apocalypse anyway.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In the run-up to Chinese New Year, I'm rewatching a 2009 documentary Last Train Home, about the annual migration of Chinese workers from enterprise zones back to the agricultural areas where their elders and children still live. If you have never seen this film even once, try it.

Top Bottom
1 2