What sane person moves to Florida?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've lived in Texas (I was in Houston for ~6 months when I was 12) and California (I was in LA for college). Trying to figure out which is better is like trying to figure out if I'd like to die from a gunshot wound or a stabbing.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe we should start a thread "What sane person moves to CommieFornia" LOL

In all seriousness, gotta love someone that inherited money to get his wealth, then looks down on others. Those are the worse type of people. I call him the exception to the rule. Most people aren't moving states because of Covid/Mask rules. He has the wealth to make the move easily.

I also think that when you have a “job” where every penny spent is coming out of your personal profit, then yeah, you are probably going to be hyper aware of taxes and money costing regulations. You’d probably spend a good part of your time trying to figure out how to avoid paying them. Most people don’t have a job where micromanaging their personal wealth is a large part of it. There are all kinds of degrees to which you could do your job better or worse and it would have zero effect on your paycheck.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
And clearly you would lead that charge with your disdain for the state but I shouldn't have to remind you of what an absolute shit hole Texas is so it's a little disingenuous.

LOL, I have nothing against California. I was making a joke because that is what Republicans call it. Dang, some of y'all are so easily offended. SMH

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've lived in Texas (I was in Houston for ~6 months when I was 12) and California (I was in LA for college). Trying to figure out which is better is like trying to figure out if I'd like to die from a gunshot wound or a stabbing.

Before Trump there was a rivalry between SoCal and NorCal with many claiming they are vastly different, but I think that has largely faded now and we’re somewhat united in the belief that if nothing else the state would be strong holdout against the Trumpism plague. That’s not to say we don’t have Trump supporters here, but they are far outnumbered by those who loath Trump and Trumpism. And if the entire experiment of the US implodes, CA has one of the world’s largest and diverse economies. There’s also comfort in that.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Every state has pros and cons. I can afford my own home in Texas. Almost everyone I know in CommieFornia has roommates and rents. On the other hand, we may freeze once per year lol

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Before Trump there was a rivalry between SoCal and NorCal with many claiming they are vastly different...

As I was typing my earlier message, I was reminded how northern CA is far superior to southern CA in my opinion. There's mountains and trees and water. Then I thought of the wildfire situation and drought in recent years. Also, I don't think I'd fit in quite as well in northern CA. I think the people that think like me would be found in the larger cities, not with country bumpkins. I don't think I'm interested in living in any part of CA at this point in time.

The one place I would like to move to if I had to leave OR is Aurora CO. I spent a few weeks there about 20 years ago and loved the place. But the cops and other knuckleheads keep screwing that plan up. That place is in the news WAY too much.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
LOL, I have nothing against California. I was making a joke because that is what Republicans call it. Dang, some of y'all are so easily offended. SMH

No we don't. We call it the People's Republic of California (PRC). ;)

Actually that is what my buddy who lives in Torrance calls it.

I also think that when you have a “job” where every penny spent is coming out of your personal profit, then yeah, you are probably going to be hyper aware of taxes and money costing regulations. You’d probably spend a good part of your time trying to figure out how to avoid paying them. Most people don’t have a job where micromanaging their personal wealth is a large part of it. There are all kinds of degrees to which you could do your job better or worse and it would have zero effect on your paycheck.

Absolutely. I wish more people paid attention because it ends up costing them as well, just not directly. Usually more.

Here is a simple example. The NEC (National Electric Code) require 2 ground rods for a residence. A city here requires 3 and they have no good justification for it (except Sparky's who come into the city to work not knowing this little extra requirement get to pay a reinspection fee). An 8' copper ground rod is around $70 depending on the price of copper. I will charge $199 to install it and I make sure to line item it separately and document why it is needed so people know what the city is up to.

Now someone will say "Why not just charge the $70? You're gouging! Well, I fronted the money for it, I had to pay a guy to install it (try hammering an 8' rod into rocky soil, even with a hammer drill), I had to use a third clamp and another 16+' of #4 copper wire ($2+/ft.). So by the time it is all said and done, I might make $40-50 off of it. But the homeowner had to pay an extra $199 for not one iota of extra safety.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Every state has pros and cons. I can afford my own home in Texas. Almost everyone I know in CommieFornia has roommates and rents. On the other hand, we may freeze once per year lol
The term CommieFornia is really funny because it ignores what Communists are and misinforms people 👍

Top Bottom
1 2