What sane person moves to Florida?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
They may be effective. But a lack of mandates is a positive aspect to some, whether you like it or not.

But I did say rate. But yes I probably should have put "current" before "rate."
Future generations will marvel at the abject stupidity of people who railed against simple life-saving measures like masking and vaccination. It would be great if everyone went along with public health guidance, but they don't without mandates. Do you have a better solution?

U

User.45

Yep, and his post was labeled as a result. @Herdfan vague and ambiguously false statements around this virus just to make cheap political points will be labeled, I would think about what you post in this manner going forward.
1636508934772.png

Hahhahaha, this is hilarious.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am going to Tampa soon for work. Last time I went there for work I went to Bern’s Steakhouse, which was a very unique dining experience. They literally take you to a different part of the restaurant for dessert. I am considering going back. For a steakhouse, the prices weren’t terrible, and unlike most steakhouses, the price includes salad and sides.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yep, and his post was labeled as a result. @Herdfan vague and ambiguously false statements around this virus just to make cheap political points will be labeled, I would think about what you post in this manner going forward.

I have edited my post to indicate it was based on the current rate of 7-day averages. That is not false no matter how you slice it. I was not intentionally trying to be vague. I sometimes type faster than my brain processes the ways the posts will be picked apart.

But my point still stands, people will move to FL based on them not having mask mandates. You may not like it, it certainly is a factor.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I am going to Tampa soon for work. Last time I went there for work I went to Bern’s Steakhouse, which was a very unique dining experience. They literally take you to a different part of the restaurant for dessert. I am considering going back. For a steakhouse, the prices weren’t terrible, and unlike most steakhouses, the price includes salad and sides.

Been there several times as my father is from Tampa. He knew Bern's when it was just a sandwich shop.

If you are into wine, they have, or at least had, the largest wine collection in the world.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I have edited my post to indicate it was based on the current rate of 7-day averages. That is not false no matter how you slice it. I was not intentionally trying to be vague. I sometimes type faster than my brain processes the ways the posts will be picked apart.

But my point still stands, people will move to FL based on them not having mask mandates. You may not like it, it certainly is a factor.

Do you have evidence of people moving thousands of miles from California to Florida “based on them not having mask mandates”?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Do you have evidence of people moving thousands of miles from California to Florida “based on them not having mask mandates”?

Please show where I said people were moving from CA to FL. I never said that. Ever. I said people would move to FL based on a lack of mandates, but I NEVER said from where. You inferred incorrectly I meant CA.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think people hate winter more than summer, FLA is huge and historically cheap (not exactly these days) and that’s it. It’s a shitty version of paradise (location with tropical weather). Confession: looks like boaters heaven, which I have respect for.

I think Florida is a tropical paradise for people who haven't actually been to one or know any better, similar to thinking Trump is a successful businessman...who just so happens to live in Florida now.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A long-time friend, someone I've known since our graduate school days, recently moved to Florida after retiring from her job. She wasn't all that thrilled about becoming a permanent resident in Florida itself but she really wanted to be closer to her daughter and her granddaughters, especially since the daughter and her husband are now in the process of divorcing. My friend was more enthused about the lack of snow and cold weather than she was about some of the other aspects of living in Florida. She's really looking forward to only seeing TV news reports or reading about snowstorms and bad weather in Illinois now rather than actually having to deal with shoveling snow and cleaning her car off before going somewhere. She waited until after she'd gotten her two COVID-19 vaccinations before putting her house on the market, selling it and moving.

I feel like people in the NorthEast aren't aware that they don't have to go as far south as Florida to escape the snow, or is it that places north of Florida are less appealing to live (than Florida?!)?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I feel like people in the NorthEast aren't aware that they don't have to go as far south as Florida to escape the snow, or is it that places north of Florida are less appealing to live (than Florida?!)?

Again, don't discount the lack of state income taxes, especially for those coming from higher tax states like NY, NJ, CT and MA. Granted some other taxes may be higher, but FL gets a tremendous amount of revenue from vacationers to help balance their budget.

I personally would not go to FL as I hate traffic and gridlock. I would pick TN if I wanted to remain in the SE. Also no state income taxes.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Again, don't discount the lack of state income taxes, especially for those coming from higher tax states like NY, NJ, CT and MA. Granted some other taxes may be higher, but FL gets a tremendous amount of revenue from vacationers to help balance their budget.

I personally would not go to FL as I hate traffic and gridlock. I would pick TN if I wanted to remain in the SE. Also no state income taxes.

I wouldn't discount that, but feel a lot of things are relative like when people say to move to an area that has a cheaper cost of living but the jobs pay lower as well and a $300 a month car payment is $300 a month no matter where you live. Also as soon as you step off your porch there's Florida (in this case). Generally speaking the cheaper a place is to live, the more it's going to suck by a lot of possible different factors.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

Take it from me, you don't want to live in Tennessee. It's the only place in the country where there's roadwork going on 24/7/365, yet the roads are still complete shit.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Take it from me, you don't want to live in Tennessee. It's the only place in the country where there's roadwork going on 24/7/365, yet the roads are still complete shit.
That pretty much describes everywhere from Ohio south.

Renzatic

Reaction score
That pretty much describes everywhere from Ohio south.

It's worse in Tennessee. Trust me.

Though South Carolina might have it even worse. I remember a trip I took up I-85 here about a decade or so ago. You're driving in Georgia out of Atlanta, and it's all smoothing sailing, and nice natural decorations on the sides of the roads. As soon as you cross that state line, you suddenly find yourself in a Mad Max style wasteland.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's worse in Tennessee. Trust me.
You need to pop over to Mobile. We’re not sure what route the parades will take for Mardi Gras this year, because the main road of “Route A” has been torn up for the past year. It was supposed to be completed 4 months ago, but it doesn’t look anywhere close to done.

Renzatic

Reaction score
You need to pop over to Mobile. We’re not sure what route the parades will take for Mardi Gras this year, because the main road of “Route A” has been torn up for the past year. It was supposed to be completed 4 months ago, but it doesn’t look anywhere close to done.

Yeah, just try the 24/75 split up in Chattanooga, also know as the place where people go to die. I will happily go 20 minutes out of my to avoid it.

People have been complaining about it for years now. It took a piece of the bridge falling off and landing on a guy's car to get them to do anything about it.

...now it's even worse.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Maybe not the only place...

I was laughing this morning to see that once again the county road crew (now in their usual belated rush to deepen the ditches before next spring's rush of snowmelt) have once again gone back on their now ten-year-old casual promise to "get that rogue honeysuckle out of your ditch there on the east end next time we swing through.").

It's officially in their right of way to mess around with, but at their convenience becomes "my ditch", see.

Of course the shrub has been chainsawed down a few times since then by my lawn care guy, but has put down roots that would defy heavy machinery trying to drag it out. Last time I was out there when the crew did come by, and I mentioned the old promise, a guy then leaning on a shovel while waiting for a dump truck to return glanced at the thing --he called it a tree-- and said yeah it's gettin' late in the day for us to fix that, we'd probably uproot the culvert under your driveway if we tried to take it out now, just chainsaw it down now and then like ya been doin', it won't bother your ditch.

The infrastructure bill passage is welcome around here but some things are never gonna change.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
People move for all kinds of reasons, but I doubt a mask policy is high on that list. No state income tax is probably a big reason. Or maybe someone just likes sunny weather. Who knows?

I mean, we can call people in California crazy for wanting to live there and not able to afford housing to the point of needing roommates.

Like I said, good and bad in all States. No one State is perfect.

Top Bottom
1 2